Re: [CombatAircraft] Collings Foundation F-4D Phantom

  • Benscan@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1 9:09 AM
      Hey There!
            There is another F-4D Phanton II That will be around for sometime to
      come. It's a corporate owned aircrat but it's flown by Steve Richie, The
      USAF's only ace pilot of the Vietnam War! He flew it at last years Armed
      Forces Day Joint Open House at Adrews Air Force Base and I hope he'll fly it
      again this year. I don't know if any of you are old enough to remember the
      glorious time when both the USAF Thunderbirds and the USN Blue Angels were
      both equipped with Phantoms! Those were some show-stopping performances

      Good Flying Everyone!
      Ben

      In a message dated 4/27/01 10:40:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      delta_dagger77506@... writes:

      Hi all,
          Was at Hobbyfest'01 recently here in Houston,and got to see
      the Collings Foundation's refurbished F-4D Phantom.Great that at
      least one of these birds will be kept flying here in the US.
      The aircraft I was told was part of the Texas Air National Guard
      (147th FIS.)here in Houston.Was retired in 1987 and sat at Davis-
      Montham AB for about 12 years until the red tape cleared for it to be
      brought out.
      Also heard that somebody in private hands has two F-100s,and hope to
      find out more info about that.Any leads?Thanks.

                                                        Cheers,
                                                        Douglas
      P.S.
        How could I forget that the F-4 is painted in Gen.Steve Ritchie's
      colors during the Vietnam War.Of course he is the one now who flys
      this aircraft as a recruiting tool for the USAF.

    • Warren Douglas
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3 3:06 PM
        --- Benscan@... wrote:
        > Hey There!
        > There is another F-4D Phanton II That will be
        > around for sometime to
        > come. It's a corporate owned aircrat but it's flown
        > by Steve Richie, The
        > USAF's only ace pilot of the Vietnam War! He flew it
        > at last years Armed
        > Forces Day Joint Open House at Adrews Air Force Base
        > and I hope he'll fly it
        > again this year. I don't know if any of you are old
        > enough to remember the
        > glorious time when both the USAF Thunderbirds and
        > the USN Blue Angels were
        > both equipped with Phantoms! Those were some
        > show-stopping performances
        >
        > Good Flying Everyone!
        > Ben

        Hi Ben,
        Yes,I was only 7,but remember seeing the Blues in
        their F-4Js that first year in '69.Still the loudest
        and best airshow experince I've had after all these
        years!!

        Cheers,
        Douglas
        P.S.
        Sadly never got to see the T-Birds in their F-4Es
        though!!!

        > Daylight Time,
        > delta_dagger77506@... writes:
        >

        > > Hi all,
        > > Was at Hobbyfest'01 recently here in
        > Houston,and got to see
        > > the Collings Foundation's refurbished F-4D
        > Phantom.Great that at
        > > least one of these birds will be kept flying here
        > in the US.
        > > The aircraft I was told was part of the Texas Air
        > National Guard
        > > (147th FIS.)here in Houston.Was retired in 1987
        > and sat at Davis-
        > > Montham AB for about 12 years until the red tape
        > cleared for it to be
        > > brought out.
        > > Also heard that somebody in private hands has two
        > F-100s,and hope to
        > > find out more info about that.Any leads?Thanks.
        > >

        > Cheers,
        > >
        > Douglas
        > > P.S.
        > > How could I forget that the F-4 is painted in
        > Gen.Steve Ritchie's
        > > colors during the Vietnam War.Of course he is the
        > one now who flys
        > > this aircraft as a recruiting tool for the USAF.

      • Justin
        Message 3 of 11 , May 4 9:12 PM
          For all those interested: Collings Foundation F-4 May Schedule.

          May 2-7 Fort Lauderdale ,Florida. Departs tomorrow with a quick
          gasngo at MacDill around 1300 local. ETA Ft Lauderdale 1500.
          Departs Ft Lauderdale for Langley AFB, Va. Monday May 7. Show is May
          12-13
          Departs for Andrews AFB on May 14. Andrews' show is May 18
          (VIP/Military) 19-20.
          Departs Andrews for NAS Pax River on May 21 Show is May 26-27
          Departs Pax River on May 28 will stop for gasngo at Birmingham
          Intl.while enroute to Houston Hobby.
        • Benscan@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , May 11 4:21 AM
            Hey Douglas,

            Great that you got a chance to see the Blue Angels when their mount was the
            awesome F-4J. Just sorry that you never got a chance to see the Thunderbirds
            when they too were flying Phantoms only in their case they flew the F-4E.
            Personally I would love to see both teams return to the Phantom but I know
            that will never happen.

            You're right. When these two teams had their Phantoms they had to be the two
            loudest aerial demostration teams in the world! :o)

            For some reason the Phantom seemed to suit the paint scheme of the
            Thunderbirds better than any other of their aircraft with the possible
            exception of when they flew the Super Sabre. While I love seeing them in
            their latest aircraft I still miss the power, sound and fury of both teams
            Phantoms.

            Bye the way. You know that they Russians have 3 demostration teams. The Swifs
            (MiG-29 equipped), The Knights (Su-27 equipped) and another one who's name I
            cannot think of at the moment that flies they Su-25 Frogfoot. I would love to
            see them perform.

            Hey Douglas.. Everyone. So what do you think will be the future mount for the
            Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds???

            Happy Landings!
            Ben

            Message 5 of 11 , May 20 11:39 PM
              Hey Douglas.. Everyone. So what do you think will be the future mount
              for the
              > Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds???

              Ben, havent you heard??? It's history in the making, it will be only
              the second time ever that both teams flew the same mount at the same
              time.......

              The Joint Strike Fighter!!! Hehehehe

              Now that is a sexy looking plane. Not!
            • ference huynen
              Message 6 of 11 , May 20 11:55 PM
                Justin,

                I think the Super Hornet will be the future mount of the blue Angels. I'm
                not sure about the Thunderbirds, I'm positive it won't be the F-22, because
                that one is too expensive (and too rare). So I'd guess it'll be a new F-16,
                like block 50 or 60 for the Thunderbirds. And after that, like it or not,
                JSF. Just a thought.

                Ference.

                Message 7 of 11 , May 21 12:03 AM
                  --- Justin <jjmessenger@...> wrote:
                  > Hey Douglas.. Everyone. So what do you think will be
                  > the future mount
                  > for the
                  > > Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds???

                  Hi Justin,
                  Well,being bias to the F-22,the perfect mount
                  for the T-Birds,and for the Blues,if fuel keeps going
                  up,maybe they will have to resort to the Goshawk
                  trainers currently being flown,though being a foreign
                  product,probaly not!!!........Douglas

                  > Ben, havent you heard??? It's history in the making,
                  > it will be only
                  > the second time ever that both teams flew the same
                  > mount at the same
                  > time.......
                  >
                  > The Joint Strike Fighter!!! Hehehehe
                  >

                  > Now that is a sexy looking plane. Not!

                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Justin
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 28 10:57 PM
                    Wouldn't it be something if they went back to the T-38? That would be
                    better than the Goshawk. I know, they will use the the TexanII !:-)

                    I agree that the Angels likely will get the super bug to replace the
                    little bug. What they need to do is transition to some of these
                    Tomcats that are being put to pasture, that would be cool.

                    Justin

                    --- In CombatAircraft@y..., Warren Douglas <delta_dagger77506@y...>

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
                      Hey All!
                      Personally I would love to see both the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels return
                      to the F-4 Phantom II.. Those birds were awesome when both teams flew them!

                      Happy Landings,
                      Ben