Re: [CombatAircraft] Andrews AFB

  • Rob Hommel
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2005
      There were a number of military air fields near NYC during the second world
      war. Andrews is near Washington DC even today. I will check and see what I
      can find out about Air bases near New York.

      Flying from California a pilot would have flown over many air bases. A good
      many would have stopped for example at Lowery AF (Denver) after crossing
      the Rocky Mts. for refueling.

      Established first as Camp Springs Army Air Field, Andrews' official history
      began Aug. 25, 1941, the day President Franklin D. Roosevelt wrote a letter
      to the secretary of war directing the use of the land on which the base now
      stands.

      Located 10 miles southeast of Washington, D.C., in Prince George's County,
      Md., the base was under construction during the remainder of 1942 and
      became operational May 2, 1943, with the arrival of the first Republic P-47
      Thunderbolt.

      The name of the base was formally changed to Andrews Field on March 31,
      1945, in honor of Lt. Gen. Frank M. Andrews. Gen. Andrews was commander of
      European operations for all Army Air Forces at the time of his death in an
      aircraft accident near Iceland in 1943. With the establishment of the Air
      Force as a separate military service on Sept. 18, 1947, the name was
      modified to its present form, Andrews AFB.

      From their own web page see the following link
      http://www.dcmilitary.com/baseguides/airforce/andrews/an_history.html

      Keep 'em Flying
      Rob Hommel