Re: U.S. Interstate Highways

  • max_g_cunningham@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hi Jeff, & Ancient W.

      I think on the first "interstate" built, there's a long straight,
      and reletively flat section, that interupts every 5 miles or so of
      regular highway, throughout most of it's length. The right of way,
      and topography is purposely Engineered that way, deliberately, and
      at no compromise to expense, it's obvious when you drive it, and
      recognise what to look for, these days, however, I suppose very
      few pepole do.

      I find it usefull, but only on very, very, rare occasions, and
      when the roads are deserted, for high speed calibration runs on my
      racing motorcyle.

      I've seen pictures from Sweeden, with thier Viggens and Grippens,
      and specifically being equipped with powerfull thrust revercers,
      tires, and braking systems, and also being designed for short
      takeoff rolls, (Reletively for conventional aircraft), routinely
      practice touch and go landings on pre-cleared public highways.

      Another issue of course in that scenario is FOD, recognise that the
      the MIG 29, and recent SU series have retractable air filter
      baffles and alternative air intakes on the upper wing roots, to
      protect the engines.

      Something similar, if engineered and implemented would have saved
      that ill fated Concorde.

      MC