Re: Michelle's Boat

  • KA6ASJ
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 5, 2010
      Other 22's for sale:
      http://www.craiglook.com/boats.html?q=Columbia+22

      --- In Columbia22Sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "KA6ASJ" <keithm@...> wrote:

      > Michelle,
      >
      > This ad has your boat up for sale for a ton of money. My boat is a very good boat and I only paid $475.00 for it (Three years ago). It came with 6 sails, including a spinnaker and also an outboard motor.
      >
      > http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=3099879
      >
      > Keith

    • Pat Shuman
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 6, 2010
        Well, it's certainly in well cared for inside! When you add on the solar panel and mount, and what appears to be a radar and pol for it, the boat bucks really add up. I didn't check the conversion to US $, but it sounds high anyway. There were ads for similar sized, but much younger boats on the web page in the same price range. Things are worth what someone will pay for them, but I've got to think there is more boat for the money out there in this case.

        Pat
      • Michelle
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 6, 2010
          Hi Keith and Pat, sail boats hold their value once they reach a certain price point down here in Australia. The insurance company was happy to insure the boat for $12990 if it went thru inspection ok.

          I had negotiated the owner down by almost 50% but given the crack along the keel, the mast step and mast sleeve repair needed and the older rigging that will need to be replaced for insurance I am looking for a different boat. I can see significant money needing to be thrown at it over the next couple of years and as one of you said there are younger boats out there for similar money with replaced rigging and other features. I may just have to buy a mooring which do come up most weeks.
          It's a real shame as the boat has such a nice feel to it and sails really nicely.

          Thankyou all for the advice.

          Michelle

          --- In Columbia22Sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "KA6ASJ" <keithm@...> wrote:

          > Michelle,
          >
          > This ad has your boat up for sale for a ton of money. My boat is a very good boat and I only paid $475.00 for it (Three years ago). It came with 6 sails, including a spinnaker and also an outboard motor.
          >
          > http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=3099879
          >
          > Keith

        • Rob Polley
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 6, 2010
            Michelle,

            Still, it's hard to imagine it's worth anywhere near that much.  I'll sail mine down from new york and it's yours for 10,000 if it is.  I paid 2500 for it 15 years ago, and I think that was too much.

            Rob

            Sent from my iPad

          • phoenix.bears@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 6, 2010
              What is the Australia to US dollar conversion rate. Could that be part of the difference??
              Vern

              From: Rob Polley <robpolley@...>
              Sender: Columbia22Sailboats@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 18:42:59 -0400
              To: Columbia22Sailboats@yahoogroups.com<Columbia22Sailboats@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: Columbia22Sailboats@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: [Columbia 22 Sailboats] Re: Michelle's Boat

              Michelle,

              Still, it's hard to imagine it's worth anywhere near that much.  I'll sail mine down from new york and it's yours for 10,000 if it is.  I paid 2500 for it 15 years ago, and I think that was too much.

              Rob

              Sent from my iPad

              On Oct 6, 2010, at 4:49 PM, "Michelle" <justformichelle@...> wrote:

              Hi Keith and Pat, sail boats hold their value once they reach a certain price point down here in Australia. The insurance company was happy to insure the boat for $12990 if it went thru inspection ok.

              I had negotiated the owner down by almost 50% but given the crack along the keel, the mast step and mast sleeve repair needed and the older rigging that will need to be replaced for insurance I am looking for a different boat. I can see significant money needing to be thrown at it over the next couple of years and as one of you said there are younger boats out there for similar money with replaced rigging and other features. I may just have to buy a mooring which do come up most weeks.
              It's a real shame as the boat has such a nice feel to it and sails really nicely.

              Thankyou all for the advice.

              Michelle

              --- In Columbia22Sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "KA6ASJ" <keithm@...> wrote:

              > Michelle,
              >
              > This ad has your boat up for sale for a ton of money. My boat is a very good boat and I only paid $475.00 for it (Three years ago). It came with 6 sails, including a spinnaker and also an outboard motor.
              >
              > http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=3099879
              >
              > Keith

            • Michelle
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 6, 2010
                Hi Vern, we are getting around 96US cents at the moment which I love as I buy most of my work related stuff in US $'s. So I would have been paying roughly $6800US for it. Boats REALLY hold their value here but keep in mind it does have a mooring with it too but that is only worth around $700

                --- In Columbia22Sailboats@yahoogroups.com, phoenix.bears@... wrote:

                > What is the Australia to US dollar conversion rate. Could that be part of the difference??
                > Vern

              • Michelle
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 6, 2010
                  :))

                  --- In Columbia22Sailboats@yahoogroups.com, Rob Polley <robpolley@...> wrote:

                  > Michelle,
                  >
                  > Still, it's hard to imagine it's worth anywhere near that much. I'll sail mine down from new york and it's yours for 10,000 if it is. I paid 2500 for it 15 years ago, and I think that was too much.
                  >
                  > Rob
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPad
                  >
                  > On Oct 6, 2010, at 4:49 PM, "Michelle" <justformichelle@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hi Keith and Pat, sail boats hold their value once they reach a certain price point down here in Australia. The insurance company was happy to insure the boat for $12990 if it went thru inspection ok.
                  > >
                  > > I had negotiated the owner down by almost 50% but given the crack along the keel, the mast step and mast sleeve repair needed and the older rigging that will need to be replaced for insurance I am looking for a different boat. I can see significant money needing to be thrown at it over the next couple of years and as one of you said there are younger boats out there for similar money with replaced rigging and other features. I may just have to buy a mooring which do come up most weeks.
                  > > It's a real shame as the boat has such a nice feel to it and sails really nicely.
                  > >
                  > > Thankyou all for the advice.
                  > >
                  > > Michelle
                  > >
                  > > --- In Columbia22Sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "KA6ASJ" <keithm@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Michelle,
                  > > >
                  > > > This ad has your boat up for sale for a ton of money. My boat is a very good boat and I only paid $475.00 for it (Three years ago). It came with 6 sails, including a spinnaker and also an outboard motor.
                  > > >
                  > > > http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=3099879
                  > > >
                  > > > Keith

                • Colin Payne
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 6, 2010
                    Mine was $450 US in an auction, and came with sails plus $450 worth of gear in the boat. The insurance company will only insure it for $500 (except I have to pay $250 deductible)

                    > Still, it's hard to imagine it's worth anywhere near that much. I'll sail mine down from new york and it's yours for 10,000 if it is. I paid 2500 for it 15 years ago, and I think that was too much.
                    >
                    > Rob
                    >
                    > Sent from my iPad
                    >
                    > On Oct 6, 2010, at 4:49 PM, "Michelle" <justformichelle@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Hi Keith and Pat, sail boats hold their value once they reach a certain price point down here in Australia. The insurance company was happy to insure the boat for $12990 if it went thru inspection ok.
                    > >
                    > > I had negotiated the owner down by almost 50% but given the crack along the keel, the mast step and mast sleeve repair needed and the older rigging that will need to be replaced for insurance I am looking for a different boat. I can see significant money needing to be thrown at it over the next couple of years and as one of you said there are younger boats out there for similar money with replaced rigging and other features. I may just have to buy a mooring which do come up most weeks.
                    > > It's a real shame as the boat has such a nice feel to it and sails really nicely.
                    > >
                    > > Thankyou all for the advice.
                    > >
                    > > Michelle
                    > >
                    > > --- In Columbia22Sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "KA6ASJ" <keithm@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Michelle,
                    > > >
                    > > > This ad has your boat up for sale for a ton of money. My boat is a very good boat and I only paid $475.00 for it (Three years ago). It came with 6 sails, including a spinnaker and also an outboard motor.
                    > > >
                    > > > http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=3099879
                    > > >
                    > > > Keith

                  • Michelle
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 6, 2010
                      I was thinking of importing some old Suzuki Motorcycles to on sell.... well now that I have discovered how cheap boats go for maybe that is what I should be doing :)

                      Think of the profit lols

                      Yep you guys have it good up there. This boat is described as a steal at $7000 here.

                      I also think that Lake Macquarie boat brokers have an easy monopoly as the transport between cities is expensive.

                      --- In Columbia22Sailboats@yahoogroups.com, Colin Payne <planetary89@...> wrote:

                      > Mine was $450 US in an auction, and came with sails plus $450 worth of gear in
                      > the boat. The insurance company will only insure it for $500 (except I have to
                      > pay $250 deductible)
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Guy Hough
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 7, 2010
                        you can either sell motorcycles or bringdown sailboats and sell them there

                        I was thinking of importing some old Suzuki Motorcycles to on sell.... well now that I have discovered how cheap boats go for maybe that is what I should be doing :)

                        Think of the profit lols

                        Yep you guys have it good up there. This boat is described as a steal at $7000 here.

                        I also think that Lake Macquarie boat brokers have an easy monopoly as the transport between cities is expensive.

                        --- In Columbia22Sailboats@yahoogroups.com, Colin Payne <planetary89@...> wrote:

                        > Mine was $450 US in an auction, and came with sails plus $450 worth of gear in
                        > the boat. The insurance company will only insure it for $500 (except I have to
                        > pay $250 deductible)

                      • Colin Payne
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 7, 2010
                          oh boy, I guess I never knew I had it so good...