FW: George is off tour starting tonight

  • Chris McDaniel
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
      Just an FYI:

      I jumped on tour in Berkeley and ended in Redmond and I would say that it is
      inevitable if not occurring now.....the Band looked extremely
      frustrated.......

      Peace and Panic,
      Moony

      >From: sskatz21@...
      >To: Mountaingroove@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: (MG) George is off tour starting tonight
      >Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 16:46:13 EDT
      >
      >Hate to start rumors, but from a very reliable source, the story is that
      >George McConnell is no longer on tour with Widespread Panic starting
      >tonight in
      >Louisville, KY. I won't post any opinions until this is confirmed, but I
      >have
      >now heard from three people going to the show in Louisville tonight that
      >"George is nowhere to be seen in town". I'll talk to them tomorrow.
      >Steve K
    • Bryn Ford
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006

        should see the f'n panicstream.com site...aka~ panicidiots.com .   some of it's just funny to read...most of it's horrible.  for a while it got me like a bad jerry springer episode.  ewhwhhhh.

        From: "Chris McDaniel" <MoonGroover@...>
        To: ColoradoSpreadkin@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [ColoradoSpreadkin] FW: George is off tour starting tonight
        Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 14:46:35 -0700

        Just an FYI:

        I jumped on tour in Berkeley and ended in Redmond and I would say that it is
        inevitable if not occurring now.....the Band looked extremely
        frustrated.. .....

        Peace and Panic,
        Moony

        >From: sskatz21@aol. com
        >To: Mountaingroove@ yahoogroups. com
        >Subject: (MG) George is off tour starting tonight
        >Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 16:46:13 EDT
        >
        >Hate to start rumors, but from a very reliable source, the story is that
        >George McConnell is no longer on tour with Widespread Panic starting
        >tonight in
        >Louisville, KY. I won't post any opinions until this is confirmed, but I
        >have
        >now heard from three people going to the show in Louisville tonight that
        >"George is nowhere to be seen in town". I'll talk to them tomorrow.
        >Steve K

        Call friends with PC calling -- FREE
      • TheMiltones@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
           That's a shame.

          I was really looking foward to seeing him at RCMH in September

        • Sherwood, Scott R
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
            Can somebody post the final setlist from this evening?

            Scott Sherwood
            Data/IP Product Support
            RFP Management
            Qwest Wholesale Markets
            phone: 303-992-2922

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
              8/1/06 - The Palace - Louisville, KY - Showtime 7:30 EST
              Set 1 - Travelin Light, Suprise Valley > Jam > Climb to Safety, Crazy, Fishin > Diner > Heroes > Blackout Blues
              Set 2 - LGTSOTR*,Sometimes*, I'm Not Alone*&, Chainsaw City*, The Takeout* > Porch Song* > Drums > Drums and Bass > Jam* > Gimme*& > Low Rider* > Stop Go*& > MSTM*
              Encore - Cant Find My Way Home*
              [No George, JKeane on Lead] *w/Sam Holt,& JKeane on Pedal Steel

              ____________ _________ _________ __

              Check out AOL.com today <http://pr.atwola. com/promoclk/ 1615326657x43112 27241x4298082137 /aol?redir= http%3A%2F% 2Fwww%2Eaol% 2Ecom> . Breaking news, video search, pictures, email and IM. All on demand. Always Free.

              prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication

            • Keith Vaughn
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                From a friend of a friend of a friend.................or more like my brother's, friend's cousin's boyfriend's father in-law.  You never know what to believe in Panicland so take this with a grain of salt and be careful what you wish for, you just might get it...

                Fr

                So here is the story. apparently they told George yesterday that they would not be touring with him in the fall, and today he decided not to finish the tour. So Holt will be playing in his place for the rest of the tour and Herring will step in next tour (fall). Candice will also be leaving after this tour. So next tour will be a very new thing.

                Paul tells me that everyone is very somber about the George thing today. No one knows what the show will sound like tonight. He is super bummed. He liked George better than anyone else in the band. We just had a conversation about it and it seems pretty f*cked up to me that they would tell him something like that during the tour. Also George must have been mighty pissed to have just left after they asked him to finish the tour. kind of a dick move no matter how you slice it. Even if he stayed you have to assume that such news would affect ones attitude and playing.

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                  seems strange that the Herring rumor is floating again considering that ARU is booked in late october for halloween shows at the Variety.  If herring were joining panic, I doubt he would miss his first trip to Vegoose w/panic to play the Variety.

                  "COL. BRUCE HAMPTON & THE AQUARIUM RESCUE UNIT
                  Friday October 27th & October 28th , 8:30pm, $25
                  Over the past couple of years Atlanta’s own Aquarium Rescue Unit have reunited for some special performances. Since disbanding all members have continued with successful solo careers or performing with some of todays hottest bands. Original members Colonel Bruce Hampton, Oteil Burbidge, Jimmy Herring and Jeff Sipe will be joined by newcomer Bobby Lee Rogers."

                  just my .02

                  From a friend of a friend of a friend...... ......... ..or more like my brother's, friend's cousin's boyfriend's father in-law.  You never know what to believe in Panicland so take this with a grain of salt and be careful what you wish for, you just might get it...

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                    .......... from Panic site

                    "August 02, 06 -- George McConnell, lead guitarist with the rock band
                    Widespread Panic, has moved on to further adventures.

                    When co-founding band member "Mikey" Houser passed away four years ago,
                    McConnell, along with saxophonist Randall Bramblett, joined forces with
                    Widespread Panic, and the band played on.

                    Longtime friend and producer John Keane has been playing both the pedal
                    steel and electric guitar throughout this recent tour, along with guitarist
                    Sam Holt, founder of the band Outformation- who has been sitting in from
                    time to time. The remainder of Widespread Panic's summer tour will proceed
                    at full steam.

                    "Bottom line is there's still songs to be played, music to make, and that's
                    what's going to happen," singer/guitarist John Bell added. "We'll miss
                    George a lot. I'm very grateful to him for lending us his talent and
                    friendship these past four years, and we wish him all the best."

                  • Keith Vaughn

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                        Agreed. Jimmy is an incredibly talented musician, and seemingly isnt
                        lacking opportunities to gig. Not that playing with Panic wouldnt be
                        a GREAT gig, I just don't see him as more than an all-star sit-in...

                        Although Sam Holt has his own band, I'd like to see a combination of
                        him and JK as the lead guitar. Certainly their styles are slightly
                        different and each of them can play certain tunes better..

                        I don't think John Keane could handle the lead guitar duties by himself.

                        Thoughts?

                        --- In ColoradoSpreadkin@yahoogroups.com, Keith Vaughn <kwvaughn@...>
                        wrote:

> [...]
                        had a conversation about it and it seems pretty f*cked up to me that
                        they would tell him something like that during the tour. Also George
                        must have been mighty pissed to have just left after they asked him to
                        finish the tour. kind of a dick move no matter how you slice it. Even
                        if he stayed you have to assume that such news would affect ones
                        attitude and playing.

                        > Bill McAlaine <billymac@...> wrote: 8/1/06 - The Palace -
                        Louisville, KY - Showtime 7:30 EST
                        > Set 1 - Travelin Light, Suprise Valley > Jam > Climb to Safety,
                        Crazy, Fishin > Diner > Heroes > Blackout Blues
                        > Set 2 - LGTSOTR*,Sometimes*, I'm Not Alone*&, Chainsaw City*, The
                        Takeout* > Porch Song* > Drums > Drums and Bass > Jam* > Gimme*& > Low
                        Rider* > Stop Go*& > MSTM*
                        > Encore - Cant Find My Way Home*
                        > [No George, JKeane on Lead] *w/Sam Holt,& JKeane on Pedal Steel

                      • Chris McDaniel
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                          >From: "Gregg" <gpinob@...>
                          >"I don't think John Keane could handle the lead guitar duties by himself"

                          My take on this is that he probably would not WANT to play lead all on his
                          own. He's been a valuable member of their team since the get-go, but
                          obviously much more from behind the scenes. That he is now up on stage
                          playing a partial lead might be good for him for now, but I think the
                          transistion to FULL lead would be very strange.

                          One night this tour, George was really struggling and JK was trying his best
                          to get George to get over his meltdown and play guitar - standing right
                          beside George trying to encourage him and help him find his groove. George
                          just couldn't build into a jam and so JK decides it's his responsibility to
                          pick it up. He grabs the lead and starts to soar - but then after he had
                          built it to some meaning, he flubbed it. It seemed like it was too big a
                          responsibility and it got to him so much that he lost his momentum and was
                          only barely able to recover to finish the solo. I just don't think he would
                          want to put himself through that level of high expectations every night. As
                          for any other guitarist, no one is Mikey and that's our reality.

                          My $.02
                          Moony

                        • Elizabeth Moore
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                            I heard george has carpel tunel (sp?)
                            maybe thats way off...

> [...]
                            > >had a conversation about it and it seems pretty f*cked up to me that
                            > >they would tell him something like that during the tour. Also George
                            > >must have been mighty pissed to have just left after they asked him to
                            > >finish the tour. kind of a dick move no matter how you slice it. Even
                            > >if he stayed you have to assume that such news would affect ones
                            > >attitude and playing.
                            > > >

                            > > > Bill McAlaine <billymac@...> wrote: 8/1/06 - The Palace -
                            > >Louisville, KY - Showtime 7:30 EST
                            > > > Set 1 - Travelin Light, Suprise Valley > Jam > Climb to Safety,
                            > >Crazy, Fishin > Diner > Heroes > Blackout Blues
                            > > > Set 2 - LGTSOTR*,Sometimes*, I'm Not Alone*&, Chainsaw City*, The
                            > >Takeout* > Porch Song* > Drums > Drums and Bass > Jam* > Gimme*& > Low
                            > >Rider* > Stop Go*& > MSTM*
                            > > > Encore - Cant Find My Way Home*
                            > > > [No George, JKeane on Lead] *w/Sam Holt,& JKeane on Pedal Steel

                          • brimadd1
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                              Just wanted to post this quote from George that will be in relix
                              mag. I am saddened that ANYBODY in our panic familly feels this way.

                              "I've had other guitar players come up and tell me that they should
                              be in this band instead of me... I am the most hated man in the jam
                              world."
                              I wish George all the best and thank him for getting us this far,
                              like him or not Panic needed him to set up and fill BIG shoes, and I
                              am thankful he was there for us. Good Luck George.

                              Brian

                              --- In ColoradoSpreadkin@yahoogroups.com, "Chris McDaniel"