Some more photos from "Darkest Africa"

  • Holger Doebold
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2007
      I have removed some photos and added mamy more to the album "holger's
      stuff". Today we had scheduled to play a scenario "Belgians versus
      Congo Arabs" in our local Club Dragon in Madrid, but finally we played
      little and talked much and it converted into a photo session. The
      photos are not of highest quality as light conditions were not very
      good, but if like to share with me some photos of Belgians, Azande,
      Jungle Cannibals, Arabs and elephants you might like to have a look.

      I'm counting the 20 days separating me from my holidays which I'm going
      to spend on Zanzibar. I'm sure this will be a source of motivation to
      paint a Zanzibari army (if I'm not struck before by Malaria and Yellow
      fewer).

      Best regards from Spain, Holger
    • Gabriel Landowski
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 3, 2007
        Holger, that is some awsome stuff. I really enjoy how your terrain and
        figures 'marry' together so effortlessly. Great stuff, always enjoy
        seeing your tables.

        My only suggestion (to get you to perfection) is to perhaps revisit
        the water features as they seem a little 'bare' and alien next to all
        that other beautiful terrain and figures that are so full of character.

        I you ever want to get rid of your stuff I'll be first in line!

        Regards
      • Al Maurer
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 3, 2007
          Very nice! But what are the cannibals doing hunting a rhino?? :-)

          Al

          Holger Doebold wrote:
          > I have removed some photos and added mamy more to the album "holger's
          > stuff". Today we had scheduled to play a scenario "Belgians versus
          > Congo Arabs" in our local Club Dragon in Madrid, but finally we played
          > little and talked much and it converted into a photo session. The
          > photos are not of highest quality as light conditions were not very
          > good, but if like to share with me some photos of Belgians, Azande,
          > Jungle Cannibals, Arabs and elephants you might like to have a look.
          >
          > I'm counting the 20 days separating me from my holidays which I'm going
          > to spend on Zanzibar. I'm sure this will be a source of motivation to
          > paint a Zanzibari army (if I'm not struck before by Malaria and Yellow
          > fewer).
          >
          > Best regards from Spain, Holger

          > *** NEW FILE ATTACHMENT LIST ***
          > ColonialBattles-subscribe@onelist.com
          > (For battle reports and pictures)
          >
          > Community email addresses:
          > Post message: ColonialWars@yahoogroups.com
          > Subscribe: ColonialWars-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Robert Campbell
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 3, 2007
            They may be cannibals but hey, they're non fanatical
            about it or anything. You have to cook a lot of
            missionaries to get as much protein as you get off one
            rhino.

            Bob Campbell
            --- Al Maurer <acmaurer@...> wrote:

            > Very nice! But what are the cannibals doing hunting
            > a rhino?? :-)
            >
            > Al

            Get news delivered with the All new Yahoo! Mail. Enjoy RSS feeds right on your Mail page. Start today at http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca
          • Alan Hamilton
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 4, 2007
              >Very nice! But what are the cannibals doing hunting a rhino?? :-)

              Maybe they were sent to get Rhino Neil (Ryan O'Neil) and misheard the
              instruction ... won't the Significant Other Half be upset!

              Alan Hamilton

              Visit my Fantasy, VSF and wargaming site

              http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/

              _____

              It has removed 2331 spam emails to date.
              Try HYPERLINK "http://www.spamfighter.com/len"SPAMfighter for free now!

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              10:02

            • Holger Doebold
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 4, 2007
                I totally agree that the scenery needs some enhancements. There should
                also be denser jungle and bigger trees on the table. With regard to
                the waterways, I have ordered waterline hippos from Reaper and am
                thinking about building bases with Mangroves. One of the next steps
                would then be to repaint the river and lake tiles to give them a more
                realistic look. I will try to make progress in that direction (apart
                from painting 100 Azande warriors I bought yesterday and paint a lot
                of Zanzibaris which are waiting for years to get painted). It would be
                very nice to play a big battle on a river involving dozens of native
                canoes (my vision/objective for September). If the scenery bases with
                the Mangroves are numbered, they could be used to mark the location of
                hidden canoes&warriors.

                I have not yet found a solution for jungle trees either (made some
                experiments with twigs and Island lichen, but the results did not
                convince me). At least a dozen big jungle trees are needed to
                represent a real jungle. I recently found a big model of a "baobab"
                tree which appears on some of the photos (manufactured by the German
                company Schleicher), but it would look strange to have many of these
                on the table. I will try to dedicate more of the available time to
                scenery building to get to a better representation of the Congo region.

                Best regards, Holger

                --- In ColonialWars@yahoogroups.com, "Gabriel Landowski"
                <gabriel_landowski@...> wrote:

                > Holger, that is some awsome stuff. I really enjoy how your terrain
                and
                > figures 'marry' together so effortlessly. Great stuff, always enjoy
                > seeing your tables.
                >
                > My only suggestion (to get you to perfection) is to perhaps revisit
                > the water features as they seem a little 'bare' and alien next to all
                > that other beautiful terrain and figures that are so full of
                character.

                > I you ever want to get rid of your stuff I'll be first in line!
                >
                > Regards

              • gavin shanks
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 4, 2007
                  Hi Holgar. That all sounds great. Any ideas on how to do mangroves?

                  Gavin

                  <gabriel_landowski@...> wrote:

                  > Holger, that is some awsome stuff. I really enjoy how your terrain
                  and
                  > figures 'marry' together so effortlessly. Great stuff, always enjoy
                  > seeing your tables.
                  >
                  > My only suggestion (to get you to perfection) is to perhaps revisit
                  > the water features as they seem a little 'bare' and alien next to all
                  > that other beautiful terrain and figures that are so full of
                  character.

                  > I you ever want to get rid of your stuff I'll be first in line!
                  >
                  > Regards

                • Marisol, Holger Garcia, Doebold
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 4, 2007
                    I suppose dry roots of little plants plus some green stuff modelling
                    material would do the job. So next time I go to a camping site I will take a
                    shovel with me and spend some time in the woods. Best regards, Holger.

                    >From: "gavin shanks" <gshanks@...>
                    >To: <ColonialWars@yahoogroups.com>
                    >Subject: Re: [ColonialWars] Re: Some more photos from "Darkest Africa"
                    >Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 22:43:04 +1000
                    >
                    >Hi Holgar. That all sounds great. Any ideas on how to do mangroves?
                    >
                    >Gavin

                    E-Mails von jedem Internet-PC weltweit verschicken - einfach, sicher und
                    kostenlos! - http://www.msn.de/email Kostenlos anmelden!
                  • Nathan Mitchell
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 6, 2007
                      Holger,

                      I've been wondering about how to represent the jungle on the table top, too.

                      Do Baobab Trees grow in the jungle?

                      I know there is jungle and there is JUNGLE. It all depends upon what jungle
                      you want to model. How much is high canopy (this has the enormous high
                      trees and vines like Tarzan used to swing on) and how much is thick scrub
                      (this is even poorer ground and is full of wide leafed plants like bananas)?

                      I am leaning toward the very thick scrub right now. It reminds me more of
                      the scrub jungle I saw in Viet Nam than a high canopy would. Though I am
                      sure there was high canopy in other areas there, too.

                      KCNate

                      >I totally agree that the scenery needs some enhancements. There should
                      > also be denser jungle and bigger trees on the table. With regard to
                      > the waterways, I have ordered waterline hippos from Reaper and am
                      > thinking about building bases with Mangroves. One of the next steps
                      > would then be to repaint the river and lake tiles to give them a more
                      > realistic look. I will try to make progress in that direction (apart
                      > from painting 100 Azande warriors I bought yesterday and paint a lot
                      > of Zanzibaris which are waiting for years to get painted). It would be
                      > very nice to play a big battle on a river involving dozens of native
                      > canoes (my vision/objective for September). If the scenery bases with
                      > the Mangroves are numbered, they could be used to mark the location of
                      > hidden canoes&warriors.
                      >
                      > I have not yet found a solution for jungle trees either (made some
                      > experiments with twigs and Island lichen, but the results did not
                      > convince me). At least a dozen big jungle trees are needed to
                      > represent a real jungle. I recently found a big model of a "baobab"
                      > tree which appears on some of the photos (manufactured by the German
                      > company Schleicher), but it would look strange to have many of these
                      > on the table. I will try to dedicate more of the available time to
                      > scenery building to get to a better representation of the Congo region.
                      >
                      > Best regards, Holger
                    • dirk r. festus festerling
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 6, 2007
                        > Do Baobab Trees grow in the jungle?

                        NO!
                        the baobab is a dry-area-tree with inner water storage.
                        jungle trees don´t need to (or can´t anyway, evolution not being
                        directed...) store, so they might be leaner

                        > I am leaning toward the very thick scrub right now. It reminds me
                        more of
                        > the scrub jungle I saw in Viet Nam than a high canopy would.
                        Though I am
                        > sure there was high canopy in other areas there, too.

                        i can imagine a somewhat scrubby table with high trees just
                        represented by their stems in between. no canopy, easier to game
                        anyway. just the odd balloon or whatever-your-mad-scientist-got
                        airbourne must be reminded of the lack of visibility. doesn´t work
                        for modern games, though. there will be helicopters anywhere post
                        1945...
                      • Grant McKenna
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 6, 2007
                          Baobabs grow in the open savannah. I wouldn't consider a table to be
                          wrong if it had one baobab, two acacia, and about six termite mounds.
                          A bit of a problem to play on, but not "wrong".

                          Grant McKenna
                        • Ross Maker
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 6, 2007
                            Nathan Mitchell wrote:

                            > I know there is jungle and there is JUNGLE. It all depends upon what
                            > jungle you want to model. How much is high canopy (this has the enormous
                            > high trees and vines like Tarzan used to swing on) and how much is thick
                            > scrub (this is even poorer ground and is full of wide leafed plants like
                            > bananas)?

                            The best high canopy jungle I ever gamed in was in Scott Johnson's
                            "Jungle Pulps" game at RockCon several years ago. He had taken
                            irregular shaped platforms of plywood and covered them with berber
                            fleece (the long pile stuff, not polar fleece), then painted them with
                            darkish green acrylic house paint. The platforms were then arranged in
                            groups of two to four vertically, spaced with section of actual tree
                            branch (from a backyard pruning project, IIRC) as trunks. One of them
                            had a really snazzy tree house on the second and third levels.

                            RWM
                          • edgington52@comcast.net
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 6, 2007
                              Grant,
                              I was fascinated by the termite mounds I saw a couple years ago when visiting Furthest Australia. Would these be limited to the sub-Saharan grasslands, or were they also in the veldt in southern Africa(Boer War, Zulu War)? Are there other parts of the world where they are common, besides Africa and Australia?
                              What would be their uses--cover and an observation points come to mind, but I'm not at all sure I'd want to get that close to one, unless it was clearly abandoned. Of course, if suitably motivated, or unknowing and fresh from the homeland . . .
                              I did like Holger's baobab tree, and may have to look for one.
                              David Edgington

                              From: "Grant McKenna" <grantgrashan@...>
                              > Baobabs grow in the open savannah. I wouldn't consider a table to be
                              > wrong if it had one baobab, two acacia, and about six termite mounds.
                              > A bit of a problem to play on, but not "wrong".
                              >
                              > Grant McKenna

                            • Al Maurer
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 10, 2007
                                I've done palm groves, which are similar in that they are tall with no
                                lower limbs--not exactly canopy, but you get the idea. The thing that
                                made the area playable is that the overall area was marked on the ground
                                and the palms could be moved around as needed.

                                Al