Re: The Joy of No-So-Elites

  • Steven Flanagan
    Message 1 of 37 , Sep 1, 1999
      Yes, but the BEF was so small, you could regard the whole thing as Elite.
      Certainly, the post-1st Ypres recruits were never as well trained as their
      dead predecessors.

      Steve Flanagan
      steve@...

      ----------
      From: "MALCOLM G.WRIGHT" <GALLOPINGJACK@...>
      To: <ColonialWars@onelist.com>
      Subject: Re: [ColonialWars] The Joy of No-So-Elites
      Date: Wed, 1 Sep, 1999, 2:24 am

      Having started a thread by pointing out that I prefer ordinary troops....I
      must however say that SOME elite troops do earn the title through consistent
      performance and deeds.
      However these have to be re-done in every war they take part in to remain
      valid.
      This is something you would expect to be easy if they are given the pick of
      recruits, but one instance that springs to mind...of performing much the
      same as the rest...is the British army of 1914. All the regiments of the BEF
      performed brilliantly....and as one book I read stated "You could only tell
      the Guards from the rest because their boots were always clean."

      Mal.WRIGHT.
      Battles and Research Page for Wargamers.
    • Entil Zha
      Message 37 of 37 , Sep 27, 1999
        Oh, that one. I thought that was in Mein Kampf (from my schoolday history
        lessons, folks! I'm a tired old lefty, me).

        Ray