15773Re: [ColombiaExperts] Kudos to Andy Lee

  • a7siesta .
    Jul 23, 2014
      Clyde was 77 in July this year, born and raised in Gig Harbor, Washington, and lived in San Diego where he owned a restaurant and jazz club before retirement. He first retired to Panama for four years then moved to Colombia almost 5 years ago. He had 6 children in the US and a flock of grand kids and great grand kids.

      On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Intltax57 intltax57@... [ColombiaExperts] <ColombiaExperts@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I'm pretty sure he was American and in his early 70s.

      On Wednesday, July 23, 2014 12:59 PM, "William Turley w_turley@... [ColombiaExperts]" <ColombiaExperts@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I have lived here for 17 years. I have not taken a course and really have difficulty with verb tenses. When it is critical I rely on my Colombian wife. I really think I am one of the worse language students that there is. I tried to take Spanish in  the University and the thirs time I was taking the course I was also teaching an Intro Geology course and my Spanish instructor was in my class so we traded a C for a C

      Bill  & Gloria Turley
      Finca Picaflores
      Vda Resguerdo
      Somondoco, Boyaca
      Colombia

      On Wednesday, July 23, 2014 12:04 PM, "Maarit DelLago maryut2@... [ColombiaExperts]" <ColombiaExperts@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I second that thought. I  reluctantly approved the previous post but did so thinking it'd be even better if you guys would also agree that it's better to let it be and out of respect not speculate about his life and affairs in Colombia in public.

      I'm fluent in Spanish but I learned the language as a young woman, living in Colombia, married to a Colombian and also went to college in Colombia (all teaching was in Spanish) and I graduated without problems. My Spanish is what could be called a near-native level.

      Formal studies always help but there's no substitute to the real-life hands-on learning experience on ANY language. The quality of the Spanish your partner/wife/significant other speaks at home with you will constitute the grounds for the quality of your language. Education is the key, as always.

      "Pare" and "alto" are synonyms for "stop", even in Colombia even if "pare" is the one commonly used. Every Colombian would, however, understand and react to "alto!" as well.

      Cheers,
      Maarit

      On Wednesday, July 23, 2014 6:33 PM, "David Ursprung smartcard1@... [ColombiaExperts]" <ColombiaExperts@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I respectfully suggest that there's no good reason to now discuss the life of Cyde.  I don't know any UK expats - all I know are US expats as was Clyde.  He was either 78 or approaching that age.

      I've lived in Both Panama and Colombia for 8 years and still can't have anything but the most basic conversations and then it has to be with someone who understands what I'm trying to say in my butchered Spanish.  I think it's necessary to attend a formal school in order to speak anything like fluent Spanish.  But even then it's difficult to learn because the natives don't speak formal language - using a lot of speech terms that are mystifying.  In addition the different countries use different words, for instance the word stop in Panama is alto whereas it's pare in Colombia (although drivers in both countries don't pay anything to either).  It's wise for anyone thinking of moving here to attend a school well in advance or else any of these countries can be very lonely places.

      I thank Andy, too, for his contributions.

      Dave

      From: ColombiaExperts@yahoogroups.com
      To: ColombiaExperts@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 10:36:44 -0400
      Subject: [ColombiaExperts] Kudos to Andy Lee

      Hi all,

      Kudos to Andy Lee in paying the premiums for Clyde.

      I saw that he had a number of ex-wives or girlfriends that were arrested for drugs…………….is that correct? What was the story behind that? Does anyone have a bio on Clyde, how old was he, when and why did he come to Columbia. I assume he was a UK ex-pat as most of the people here are. If anyone has the facts……………..fill us in please.

      Additionally, is there anyone here who speaks Spanish fluently or at least at an intermediate level. I see people here say they are having difficulty learning the language, even though they live in Colombia, is that correct?

      Thanks,

      Ray

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic