Re: [CoinZappers] Re: Progress so far . . .

  • SeaDog
    Message 1 of 32 , Aug 1, 2008
      Hi Jerry, I must admit to having experienced similar problems with unusually hard and localised areas of crust. I'm still practising on some "cheap" crusties that I got from eBay auctions. Some of them are showing remarkable amounts of detail too.

      Very often there is an area of crust in the centre of the coin (adhering to detail?) and more often the reverse of the coin is the worst. I will have a very "clean" coin with one hard lump of crust that does not seem to want to come loose. With one coin, the lump on the reverse did come loose and revealed a dark crater with no detail at all! I have been regularly rotating the coins and reversing them, but can not seem to achieve a uniform crust removal.

      I only use bamboo picks now as I don't believe I'll do much damage with them and they stay pretty stiff and hard even when wet. I have made up a set of tools similar to the ones on your web site, but so far have not perfected the brush! I seem to hit the bamboo too hard or not hard enough to make one that works as it should. I am most grateful for the tips on the web site and I really think the bamboo tools are one of the best tips of all.

      Maybe I have been unlucky in the coins that I have acquired to practise on, but I am certainly getting a lot of practise! Ha ha. They do say it makes perfect!

      Best wishes,
      Jim

      And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. ........
      Friedrich Nietzsche

      From: dwbeatle <asqq35@...>
      Subject: [CoinZappers] Re: Progress so far . . .
      To: CoinZappers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 6:30 PM

      OK, the ebay grots have arrived. So I get my litre (quart) of RO water + 1.5 teaspoons of
      washing soda, plug in my 12v 700ma DC, clip on the coin and off we go.

      The trouble is, I don't actually know what to expect. I zapped the first coin for about 15
      minutes, took out, scrubbed vigourously with a toothbrush, picked away quite savagely
      with a bamboo skewer, toothbrushed again and took a look.

      The coin was now shiny on a few of the extreme high spots, still plenty of lumps of crap
      on the coin in other places and not too much detail showing. So back into the zapper for
      another quarter of an hour. Same process, a little more shiny, a few less clumps, still
      scratching like mad with the bamboo.

      2 or 3 times more I repeated this process (so the coin has now been zapped for over an
      hour in total). All the big lumps of crap are now removed, I have a larger area of shiny coin
      on the flat surfaces but the middle of the coin with the intricate portrait details etc are still
      very dark and dirty. However, I am now concerned that I am damaging the coin. Was there
      more detail on it last time around? - I can't quite remember. etc. etc.

      So, after that long old ramble there, my question is, what should I expect. What should I
      be realistically achieving? A perfectly shiny coin or a patchy, hard-to-read disapointment?

      Steve

    • Jerry Jones
      Message 32 of 32 , Aug 6, 2008
        Hey my friend!  Steve, here is the article (Bamboo Tools) I did for my blog: http://tinyurl.com/22xh32%c2%a0 Please bookmark and read the other articles of interest as you have time.  I try to post Zapping material as I experiment, etc.  Let me know how you like the tools.. God Bless.. Jerry..

         http://www.ancientcoinstore.com