Fw: [CoinZappers] Digest Number 1808

  • Kurt Ellenberger
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2008
      ----- Forwarded Message ----
      From: Kurt Ellenberger <scrumhalf1970@...>
      To: No Reply <notify-dg-CoinZappers@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, February 2, 2008 1:52:08 PM
      Subject: Re: [CoinZappers] Digest Number 1808

      I'm not quite sure what makes you suspicious of the coin. In hand, the coin does not give me anything that would make me question it. The fabric of the metal seems consistent with similar coins of the period. I don't see any seam marks or bubbling to make me think it a cast copy. The obverse legend is a known legend for Severus II and there are three examples of the coin on WildWinds just different officinae. There are examples on coinarchives as well. The weight and diameter are in appropriate ranges as well. I am by no means an expert, but outside of a bit of a week strike on the reverse it seems OK to me. If anyone else has some suspicions, please pass them on.

      Kurt

    • jgarland0377
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2008
        Great. You have the coin in hand and it sounds like you've done some
        homework! The bit about the encrustation falling off so apparently
        easily is what most basically pricked my radar as that is what led me
        to check further into the VRBS ROMA find of mine that I mentioned.
        And then the wear as it appears in the photo, at least. Both are a
        known consequence of some "aging" and "uncleaning" methods. If you
        checked the other points, great find, and I congratulate you. Didn't
        mean to be a pain.

        --- In CoinZappers@yahoogroups.com, Kurt Ellenberger