Copper clusters & other observations

  • Charles Richey
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007
      Hi Group,

      I am new to zapping, and overall, the zapping seems to work well. I am
      using ½” copper tubing for my anode and cathode.

      Occasionally, I find very little tiny clusters of copper balls on the coins.
      All I have to do is put a little pressure on the build-up and they will pop
      off, leaving the coin with no sign that there was a build up on it. Is this
      caused from the electrolysis in the zapping process?

      Also, I noticed that while some coins turn out really nice, I have had about
      3 coins totally disintegrate on me. I ended up throwing these three 2,000
      year old coin rubble in the trash. I am assuming that if the coin has
      internal bronze disease, that the zapping takes away what little there was
      holding the coin together to begin with.

      Finally, I notice that zapped coins come out dark looking. Is this called
      toning? Any suggestions or comments on this?

      Regards,

      Charles

    • Jerry Jones
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007
        Hey my friend! I have not seen the bubbles Charles.
        I would love to see you switch to a graphite (carbon)
        anode. Zapping actually breaks through the patina at
        a certain point and one gets brighter coins. There is
        a "toning" technique I teach using reverse
        electrolysis. Charles, the coins that broke apart
        were thoroughly "leached." The chemicals (acids)in
        the soil had robbed the coin of the components that
        helped give it structure. You find that is common in
        some soils. I am surprised your coins are getting
        darker. That would happen if you had the leads
        reversed. Please check.. God Bless my friend..
        Jerry..

        --- Charles Richey <richey@...> wrote:

        > Hi Group,
        >

        > I am new to zapping, and overall, the zapping seems
        > to work well. I am
        > using ½” copper tubing for my anode and cathode.
        >
        > Occasionally, I find very little tiny clusters of
        > copper balls on the coins.
        > All I have to do is put a little pressure on the
        > build-up and they will pop
        > off, leaving the coin with no sign that there was a
        > build up on it. Is this
        > caused from the electrolysis in the zapping process?
        >

        > Also, I noticed that while some coins turn out
        > really nice, I have had about
        > 3 coins totally disintegrate on me. I ended up
        > throwing these three 2,000
        > year old coin rubble in the trash. I am assuming
        > that if the coin has
        > internal bronze disease, that the zapping takes away
        > what little there was
        > holding the coin together to begin with.
        >

        > Finally, I notice that zapped coins come out dark
        > looking. Is this called
        > toning? Any suggestions or comments on this?
        >

        > Regards,
        >
        > Charles

        > removed]

        http://www.ancientcoinstore.com
      • Jerry Jones
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007
          Hey my friend! Charles, I should have said that if
          you had clean coins and inadvertently reversed the
          leads then your coins would darken.. God Bless..

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007
            Jerry,

            Thanks. I double checked, the leads are correct. I just don’t think that I
            am leaving them in long enough. As for the copper specks, I had also found
            some of those on a few coins in a hoard of 1,000 prutah mites that I
            purchased 4 years ago. Those coins were also “cleaned” before I purchased
            them. Not a biggie, I just pop the copper off and the coin is clean.

            Regards,

            Charles

            --- Charles Richey <richey@biblicalmite <mailto:richey%40biblicalmites.com>
            s.com> wrote:

            > Hi Group,
            >

            > I am new to zapping, and overall, the zapping seems
            > to work well. I am
            > using ½” copper tubing for my anode and cathode.
            >
            > Occasionally, I find very little tiny clusters of
            > copper balls on the coins.
            > All I have to do is put a little pressure on the
            > build-up and they will pop
            > off, leaving the coin with no sign that there was a
            > build up on it. Is this
            > caused from the electrolysis in the zapping process?
            >

            > Also, I noticed that while some coins turn out
            > really nice, I have had about
            > 3 coins totally disintegrate on me. I ended up
            > throwing these three 2,000
            > year old coin rubble in the trash. I am assuming
            > that if the coin has
            > internal bronze disease, that the zapping takes away
            > what little there was
            > holding the coin together to begin with.
            >

            > Finally, I notice that zapped coins come out dark
            > looking. Is this called
            > toning? Any suggestions or comments on this?
            >

            > Regards,
            >
            > Charles

            > removed]

            http://www.ancientc <http://www.ancientcoinstore.com> oinstore.com

          • Jerry Jones
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007
              Great my friend! I hope all goes well Charles.. God
              Bless.. Jerry..