"Naural Patination" Process Revealed

  • Jerry C. Jones
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 1, 2007
      I have revealed my new Natural Patination process. Please click on the
      URL to read: http://tinyurl.com/2hfqaa
    • ivanrudee
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 1, 2007
        --- In CoinZappers@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry C. Jones" <jceaus@...> wrote:

        > I have revealed my new Natural Patination process. Please click on
        the
        > URL to read: http://tinyurl.com/2hfqaa
        > Sound advice Jerry! I will try this on my next batch!
        Thanks!
        Malcolm
      • Scott Sexton
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 1, 2007
          Jerry, when you place the coins in the containers, do you put an airtight lid on or do you leave them open?

          Thanks!

          Scott S.

          "Jerry C. Jones" <jceaus@...> wrote:
          I have revealed my new Natural Patination process. Please click on the
          URL to read: http://tinyurl. com/2hfqaa

          in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel
          to find your fit.

        • Jerry Jones
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 1, 2007
            I am pleased my brother! Please keep us informmed!
            Remember, the coin needs to be repatinated (somewhat
            light or bright) before applying the technique. In
            other words don't bother if you aleady have a good
            patina.. God Bless.. Jerry..
            --- ivanrudee <ivanrudee@...> wrote:

            > --- In CoinZappers@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry C. Jones"
            > <jceaus@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I have revealed my new Natural Patination process.
            > Please click on
            > the
            > > URL to read: http://tinyurl.com/2hfqaa
            > > Sound advice Jerry! I will try this on my next
            > batch!
            > Thanks!
            > Malcolm

            http://www.ancientcoinstore.com
          • Jerry Jones
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 1, 2007
              Good question my freind! No, please leave the
              container open so the oxygen will reach the coins. I
              am not sure what the container has to do with things.
              I know the SC is what disturbs the ions and causes the
              oxidation. However, ay this point there is no need to
              do anything diff than I am doing. Ic annot impress
              upon you and group my brother what REMARKABLE results
              I am getting. Scott, please bookmark my blog. At a
              particular point I will be announcing research without
              announcind to the group each time. The blog helps me
              have a storage place ofr my infomration. We were
              getting short on space (used up 75%) and this is free
              to me and very simp-le for me to point a newbie to
              whatever! Thanks and God Bless.. Jerry.. PS: I need
              to repeat one more time how excited I am about this
              process..
              --- Scott Sexton <scottatlaw@...> wrote:

              > Jerry, when you place the coins in the containers,
              > do you put an airtight lid on or do you leave them
              > open?
              >
              > Thanks!
              >
              > Scott S.
              >
              > "Jerry C. Jones" <jceaus@...> wrote:
              > I have revealed my new Natural Patination
              > process. Please click on the
              > URL to read: http://tinyurl.com/2hfqaa
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              > Now that's room service! Choose from over 150,000
              > hotels
              > in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel to find your
              fit.

              http://www.ancientcoinstore.com
            • J&S Drach
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 2, 2007
                Message
                Jerry, is there any minimum amount of time that the coins need to be in the zapper for this process to work?

                John Drach

                I have revealed my new Natural Patination process. Please click on the
                URL to read: http://tinyurl. com/2hfqaa

              • Phil Jones
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 3, 2007
                  Very useful information Jerry,

                  Thanks for sharing it with us! Does that mean the next trick in your
                  bag is going to be to share how to patinate silver properly?

                  Curious minds would love to know...

                  Thanks again and great article!

                  Regards,

                  Phil Jones, Antiquarian
                  PBJI Ancient Coins and Antiquities

                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 3, 2007
                    Hi John! I think any good cleaning job by zapping
                    with SC sets the process in motions my friend.. God
                    Bless.. Jerry..

                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 3, 2007
                      Hi Phil! I am trying :) If anyone has any ideas I
                      would like to hear : ) God Bless.. Jerry.. PS: I did
                      work on a mini-light tent this evening and I am quite
                      pleased with the results.. if it works well I will
                      share..

                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 4, 2007
                        Message
                        I'm also curious....I know you are using carbon as your anode.  Would that have anything to do with the natural repatination as well?  I zapped a bunch of coins last night in SC and none of them have really started any sort of repatination.  Now, I may still have messed up the whole process so I will let you know what I did..

                        I first zapped them in SC.  The coins always have a black 'coating' on them so I have to scrub them to get it off.  I scrubbed my coins in BS and water (and some a bit of a dremel with brass brush).   Once the coins are cleaned, I put them back in the zapper for about 10-15 minutes.  After this zapping, that's when I just wipe them and set them aside.  I know this is not as per your instructions however the last zapping that I do for these coins is the same and I just assume it would still work...but maybe it's the scrubbing that does something or the carbon?

                        John Drach

                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 4, 2007
                          Hi John! You may have halted the process by removing
                          the SC with the brush at least to a great degree.
                          Please follow the proceeduses ad I outlined. I think
                          you can wipe the "black" off with a soft paper towel
                          or a piece of soft cloth. The idea is to leave the SC
                          on the coin but I don't think the wiping makes that
                          much diff but the brusing most likely would.. God
                          Bless.. Jerry.. PS: Simply wipe the coin smooth with
                          the paper towel and put it aside.. let me know what
                          happens..

                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 5, 2007
                            Message
                            I'll have to do some more experimentation...Even after a lengthy zapping, I can't just rub the black off with a soft cloth - it requires a bit of scrubbing.  Also, the longer I zap I seem to get some permanent blackening (like a gun metal bluing) on the edges of some coins like I've burnt it or something?  So I still need to figure out what I'm doing wrong.  Maybe carbon rods are my next alternative

                            I'm guessing that when you zap and remove the dirt, the SC has the chance to displace the dirt and remain in the entire surface.  If I re-zap a clean coin after I do the brushing, the SC only gets into a few places that the dirt is removed...which is probably why I'm not getting the repat?

                            So the more dirt on a coin that gets removed, the more SC left in it's place to do the repat work?  I'm not a chemist but it sounds like a reasonable theory as to why I'm not seeing the effects.

                            John Drach

                            Hi John! You may have halted the process by removing
                            the SC with the brush at least to a great degree.
                            Please follow the proceeduses ad I outlined. I think
                            you can wipe the "black" off with a soft paper towel
                            or a piece of soft cloth. The idea is to leave the SC
                            on the coin but I don't think the wiping makes that
                            much diff but the brusing most likely would.. God
                            Bless.. Jerry.. PS: Simply wipe the coin smooth with
                            the paper towel and put it aside.. let me know what
                            happens..
                            --- J&S Drach <sdrach@telus. net> wrote:

                            > I'm also curious....I know you are using carbon as
                            > your anode. Would that
                            > have anything to do with the natural repatination as
                            > well? I zapped a bunch
                            > of coins last night in SC and none of them have
                            > really started any sort of
                            > repatination. Now, I may still have messed up the
                            > whole process so I will
                            > let you know what I did..
                            >
                            > I first zapped them in SC. The coins always have a
                            > black 'coating' on them
                            > so I have to scrub them to get it off. I scrubbed
                            > my coins in BS and water
                            > (and some a bit of a dremel with brass brush).
                            > Once the coins are cleaned,
                            > I put them back in the zapper for about 10-15
                            > minutes. After this zapping,
                            > that's when I just wipe them and set them aside. I
                            > know this is not as per
                            > your instructions however the last zapping that I do
                            > for these coins is the
                            > same and I just assume it would still work...but
                            > maybe it's the scrubbing
                            > that does something or the carbon?
                            >

                            > John Drach

                          • Gord T.

                              Hi John! You may have halted the process by removing
                              the SC with the brush at least to a great degree.
                              Please follow the proceeduses ad I outlined. I think
                              you can wipe the "black" off with a soft paper towel
                              or a piece of soft cloth. The idea is to leave the SC
                              on the coin but I don't think the wiping makes that
                              much diff but the brusing most likely would.. God
                              Bless.. Jerry.. PS: Simply wipe the coin smooth with
                              the paper towel and put it aside.. let me know what
                              happens..
                              --- J&S Drach <sdrach@telus. net> wrote:

                              > I'm also curious....I know you are using carbon as
                              > your anode. Would that
                              > have anything to do with the natural repatination as
                              > well? I zapped a bunch
                              > of coins last night in SC and none of them have
                              > really started any sort of
                              > repatination. Now, I may still have messed up the
                              > whole process so I will
                              > let you know what I did..
                              >
                              > I first zapped them in SC. The coins always have a
                              > black 'coating' on them
                              > so I have to scrub them to get it off. I scrubbed
                              > my coins in BS and water
                              > (and some a bit of a dremel with brass brush).
                              > Once the coins are cleaned,
                              > I put them back in the zapper for about 10-15
                              > minutes. After this zapping,
                              > that's when I just wipe them and set them aside. I
                              > know this is not as per
                              > your instructions however the last zapping that I do
                              > for these coins is the
                              > same and I just assume it would still work...but
                              > maybe it's the scrubbing
                              > that does something or the carbon?
                              >

                              > John Drach

                              Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.

                            • Jerry Jones
                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 5, 2007
                                Hi John! Please tell me again what you are using for
                                your anode. I prefer carbon/graphite to all anode
                                materials. I have just finished zapping 50 coins and
                                they are really beautiful. I purposefully made them
                                brighter than I normally do but that was my intent.
                                Please don't give up and let's get to the bottom of
                                this. John, look at my most recent post (Coin
                                Scholars, etc.) and you will see one of the items that
                                came from the soup an hour or so ago and I only wiped
                                it with a paper towel. By the way, join in what I
                                hope is a fun endeavour..

                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 5, 2007
                                  Message
                                  I only wish I could find even one coin like that when I'm zapping...I'm lucky to make out any sort of image on most of my coins and the ones that do turn out usually have one real bad side to it.

                                  I've used copper pipe, a bolt, black pipe, washers and other soft steel.  Currently I am using a spoon as that seems to be giving me the best results of the items I've used.  I hesitate to buy the long carbon rods as I only have a small zapper and they would never fit.  I can never tell how 'bright' a coin I will have since they tend to get blacker as I zap.  It's only once I scrub the black off that I can tell what I have...which is usually too late to keep any patina or anything like that.

                                  Now if I could get Jax or Dellers to work well for me it wouldn't be too bad either but I would much rather be able to get a natural patination to work for me.

                                  John Drach

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 5, 2007
                                    Hey my friend. Please do this for me. Begin with
                                    your AC power supply and tell me how many mA you are
                                    using. Next, be sure you are unsinf SC. Sodiun
                                    Bicarb is fine too. Tell me as much about your setup
                                    and you can. I need to know what ration of SC to
                                    water you are using too.. anything you can tell me
                                    will help.. God Bless.. Jerry..
                                    --- J&S Drach <sdrach@...> wrote:

                                    > I only wish I could find even one coin like that
                                    > when I'm zapping...I'm
                                    > lucky to make out any sort of image on most of my
                                    > coins and the ones that do
                                    > turn out usually have one real bad side to it.
                                    >
                                    > I've used copper pipe, a bolt, black pipe, washers
                                    > and other soft steel.
                                    > Currently I am using a spoon as that seems to be
                                    > giving me the best results
                                    > of the items I've used. I hesitate to buy the long
                                    > carbon rods as I only
                                    > have a small zapper and they would never fit. I can
                                    > never tell how 'bright'
                                    > a coin I will have since they tend to get blacker as
                                    > I zap. It's only once
                                    > I scrub the black off that I can tell what I
                                    > have...which is usually too
                                    > late to keep any patina or anything like that.
                                    >
                                    > Now if I could get Jax or Dellers to work well for
                                    > me it wouldn't be too bad
                                    > either but I would much rather be able to get a
                                    > natural patination to work
                                    > for me.
                                    >

                                    > John Drach

                                    === message truncated ===

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 5, 2007
                                      Message
                                      I don't know how many mA I am using.  I am currently using a 12v car battery charger that is a 2/10A with a few variable settings.  I was using BS until you said you only had the repat results by using SC.  So I grabber some of my chemicals that I use for my Hot tub that says it is SC.  I have a Tupperware container that probably holds about 3 cups of water.  I use 2 cups of DW and 1 teaspoon of SC or BS.  I am using  a spoon for the anode and a steel bar across the top from where I can drop 1-4 clips made with copper wire and steel alligator clips - similar to what you see from Common Bronze.

                                      That's my setup...so far it has worked better than any other I've tried but of course I can't reproduce the natural repatination results.

                                      John Drach

                                      Hey my friend. Please do this for me. Begin with
                                      your AC power supply and tell me how many mA you are
                                      using. Next, be sure you are unsinf SC. Sodiun
                                      Bicarb is fine too. Tell me as much about your setup
                                      and you can. I need to know what ration of SC to
                                      water you are using too.. anything you can tell me
                                      will help.. God Bless.. Jerry..
                                      --- J&S Drach <sdrach@telus. net> wrote:

                                      > I only wish I could find even one coin like that
                                      > when I'm zapping...I' m
                                      > lucky to make out any sort of image on most of my
                                      > coins and the ones that do
                                      > turn out usually have one real bad side to it.
                                      >
                                      > I've used copper pipe, a bolt, black pipe, washers
                                      > and other soft steel.
                                      > Currently I am using a spoon as that seems to be
                                      > giving me the best results
                                      > of the items I've used. I hesitate to buy the long
                                      > carbon rods as I only
                                      > have a small zapper and they would never fit. I can
                                      > never tell how 'bright'
                                      > a coin I will have since they tend to get blacker as
                                      > I zap. It's only once
                                      > I scrub the black off that I can tell what I
                                      > have...which is usually too
                                      > late to keep any patina or anything like that.
                                      >
                                      > Now if I could get Jax or Dellers to work well for
                                      > me it wouldn't be too bad
                                      > either but I would much rather be able to get a
                                      > natural patination to work
                                      > for me.
                                      >

                                      > John Drach

                                      === message truncated ===

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 6, 2007
                                        Hey my friend! Sounds like quite a bit of SC. Try
                                        1.5 teaspoonfuls of SC to a quart of water. I don't
                                        know how that would break down in cups and SC so I
                                        would measure out the SC per quart. The battery
                                        charger is good but you are really increasing the
                                        aperage when you use that much SC to so little water.
                                        Try my ration and see if things will change. Are you
                                        using the 2 map setting on the battery? I would try
                                        the 6 amps and again go with the 1 and 1/2 teasoonfuls
                                        of SC to one quart of water. You may be surprised.. I
                                        know this is terribel for me to say but make certain
                                        your pos it connected to the anode. Alsl, you need to
                                        be working with 310 single strand wire and NO LESS
                                        than 312 single strand. I imagine your clips have
                                        #10.. let me know if things change. You really need a
                                        container larger than what you are using. Try a
                                        plstic hoebox from WalMart or from the Dollar Store..
                                        Please make these changes and let me know.. God
                                        Bless.. Jerry..
                                        --- J&S Drach <sdrach@...> wrote:

                                        > I don't know how many mA I am using. I am currently
                                        > using a 12v car battery
                                        > charger that is a 2/10A with a few variable
                                        > settings. I was using BS until
                                        > you said you only had the repat results by using SC.
                                        > So I grabber some of
                                        > my chemicals that I use for my Hot tub that says it
                                        > is SC. I have a
                                        > Tupperware container that probably holds about 3
                                        > cups of water. I use 2
                                        > cups of DW and 1 teaspoon of SC or BS. I am using
                                        > a spoon for the anode
                                        > and a steel bar across the top from where I can drop
                                        > 1-4 clips made with
                                        > copper wire and steel alligator clips - similar to
                                        > what you see from Common
                                        > Bronze.
                                        >
                                        > That's my setup...so far it has worked better than
                                        > any other I've tried but
                                        > of course I can't reproduce the natural repatination
                                        > results.
                                        >

                                        > John Drach

                                        === message truncated ===

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Feb 6, 2007
                                          I jusr realized you said 2/10 amps and not 2/6 amps.
                                          Try all the changes I jsut suggested and set your
                                          charer on 2 amps and see if you get better results..
                                          God Bless.. Jerry..

                                          === message truncated ===

                                          http://www.ancientcoinstore.com
                                        • Dave
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Feb 6, 2007
                                            What is the benefit of using a larger container?

                                            I have had 2 single coin zappers running for the last couple weeks.
                                            The first one was my original zapper made out of a pint glass and the
                                            other uses reappropraited Costco sized sour cream container (44 oz
                                            maybe?).
                                            I'm having good results with both but the bigger tub takes at least 4x
                                            the distilled water, so I switched it out for a second pint glass last
                                            night.
                                            Both zappers use 9V 200 mA supplies (former cell phone chargers) with
                                            a graphite rod anode leaning against one side of the glass and the
                                            coin on an alligator clip hanging over the the other side. I only
                                            fill the pint glass up about half way (~8oz) and add a couple pinches
                                            of SC.

                                            --- In CoinZappers@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Jones <jceaus@...> wrote:

                                            > Hey my friend! Sounds like quite a bit of SC. Try
                                            > 1.5 teaspoonfuls of SC to a quart of water. I don't
                                            > know how that would break down in cups and SC so I
                                            > would measure out the SC per quart. The battery
                                            > charger is good but you are really increasing the
                                            > aperage when you use that much SC to so little water.
                                            > Try my ration and see if things will change. Are you
                                            > using the 2 map setting on the battery? I would try
                                            > the 6 amps and again go with the 1 and 1/2 teasoonfuls
                                            > of SC to one quart of water. You may be surprised.. I
                                            > know this is terribel for me to say but make certain
                                            > your pos it connected to the anode. Alsl, you need to
                                            > be working with 310 single strand wire and NO LESS
                                            > than 312 single strand. I imagine your clips have
                                            > #10.. let me know if things change. You really need a
                                            > container larger than what you are using. Try a
                                            > plstic hoebox from WalMart or from the Dollar Store..
                                            > Please make these changes and let me know.. God
                                            > Bless.. Jerry..
                                          • Jerry Jones
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Feb 6, 2007
                                              Hi Dave! Good point. I was thinking in terms of the
                                              SC distribution and I am quite sure it makes no
                                              difference.. God Bless.. Jerry..