New Member

  • p4grly
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
      Hi All - I am a member of the UAC and have seen many of Jerry's posts
      promoting this site as well so I thought I would give it a try. I am
      pretty new - to this hobby have some coins soaking for almost 2
      months now and change the water every week and gently clean them. I
      have separated them into containers from good (shows good details)
      Fair (had potential) and bad (which I believe are what you refer to
      as slugs - potentially nothing but a smooth lump of metal - but you
      never know and how does one find out???). I have experimented with
      small zapper contraptions using a 9v battery and they have seemed to
      work - I am concerned however about runining a coin - can someone
      post a picture of one or two of their unsuccessful zapps so that I
      can see if I did ok or over zapped? Also, I have read various sights
      and postings saying never to attach the positive to the coin but when
      I attach the negative results are very slow if at all. Also, does
      anyone add salt and lemon juice to the water? One last thing would
      anyone consider zapping a coin that already shows fair/good detail to
      get off the last bit of stubborn debris? Well I will leave it at
      this - I know I have asked a lot of questions and they are probably
      very elementary but I do enjoy this hobby - It is thrilling and I am
      a Art History major (second career) and I am either going to
      specialize in Roman or Egyptian antiquities so this is right up my
      ally. Thank for any assistance and have a great day! - peace -
      Jacqueline
    • hawkinva
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 17, 2006
        Hi, My name is Valerie. I became interested in ancients during an art
        history class last semester. I bought and cleaned my first batch of
        coins (bought at ebay, nemesiscoins). I'm hooked. I didn't have any
        luck with quite a few of the coins, but I found a few that I'm very
        pleased with. It seems that electrolysis had a bad rep among coin
        collectors, but I love it! I don't seem to have the patience to soak
        and scrub over months. It's really exciting to watch the gunk fall
        off the coins and reveal the trash or treasure beneath. How can
        cleaned coins compare to that!!!!

        Anyway, I'm going to try to buy a mix of lesser grade coins to zap,
        and better coins to soak and scrub. I'll be lurking and asking
        questions. I have a few coins that I could use help attributing, but
        my photo taking ability is limited right now - I thought I'd try to
        draw some out and see if anyone can give me some direction.

        Anyway, I'm a part-time art student with emphasis on ceramic art.
        Another reason for my interest in ancients - I'm casting about for
        artistic direction and connection to my own cultural history, I'm a
        genetic stew of northern, western and eastern european cultures).

        I'm also a full time wife and mother. I live in Charlotte, NC. I'm
        very excited about joining the group!

        -Valerie
      • Scott Sexton
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 17, 2006
          Welcome Valerie!

          I hope you continue to enjoy our little hobby.  If you haven't done so, please consider joining some other yahoo groups including anceintpeddler and numistreasure.  Both groups tend to offer you up FAR better deals on uncleaneds then just about anything you'd find on ebay.  Fortunately you happened to buy your coins from one of the most reliable dealers on ebay (herb @ nemesis).  Join numistreasure and you get a special batch of practice coins for only a buck!  Both of the lists I've mentioned have great deals on excellent coins pop up from time to time.  If you want to check out some other top notch uncleaneds, I'd strongly encourage you to check out commonbronze.net.  They are running a sale through the month on some truly excellent spanish found roman coins.  The guys at CB also have one of the best supply warehouses for coin cleaning tools around too!  If you haven't tried out thier tungstun pins, nylon penbrushes, or silver brushes, you don't know what you are missing out on!

          If you have attribution questions, the AP list will probably get you better responses because more people hang out there, but if you want to simply describe the coin, maybe some of us can give you a good idea about what your coins are.  Drawing pictures can take some time, so just go for a quick description.  If you haven't purchased a copy of Van Meter's Handbook on roman coins, consider doing so.  Its the best newbie attribution book out there.  Something else that will be good for you to read is the top 10 list of most common late roman bronzes.  I'm hoping somebody knows the website I'm talking about and posts a link because that resources is amazing.

          Good luck!

          Scott S.

          hawkinva <vhawkins1@...> wrote:
[...]

          Yahoo! Mail

        • Jerry Jones
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 17, 2006
            Hi Valerie! Great to have another visual artist! I
            too was hooed after learning to zap coins. I also
            taught pottery, painting and drawing (design too) in a
            small college Val. I am now retired and spend most of
            my time zapping coins as well as posting to the group.
            For help with attribution please join our sister
            group, Ancient Peddler. The URL is as follows:
            great coin scholars on AC and they love to attrib.
            Please go to the Files section of CZ and take a look
            at FAQ and look at the schematics of Jerry's Zappers..
            please ask any questions and we will be happy to
            answer.. thanks for honoring us with your membership
            and I am very pleased to have you as one of the
            Original Coin Family Members.. God Bless.. Jerry..

            --- hawkinva <vhawkins1@...> wrote:

            > Hi, My name is Valerie. I became interested in
            > ancients during an art
            > history class last semester. I bought and cleaned
            > my first batch of
            > coins (bought at ebay, nemesiscoins). I'm hooked.
            > I didn't have any
            > luck with quite a few of the coins, but I found a
            > few that I'm very
            > pleased with. It seems that electrolysis had a bad
            > rep among coin
            > collectors, but I love it! I don't seem to have the
            > patience to soak
            > and scrub over months. It's really exciting to
            > watch the gunk fall
            > off the coins and reveal the trash or treasure
            > beneath. How can
            > cleaned coins compare to that!!!!
            >
            > Anyway, I'm going to try to buy a mix of lesser
            > grade coins to zap,
            > and better coins to soak and scrub. I'll be lurking
            > and asking
            > questions. I have a few coins that I could use help
            > attributing, but
            > my photo taking ability is limited right now - I
            > thought I'd try to
            > draw some out and see if anyone can give me some
            > direction.
            >
            > Anyway, I'm a part-time art student with emphasis on
            > ceramic art.
            > Another reason for my interest in ancients - I'm
            > casting about for
            > artistic direction and connection to my own cultural
            > history, I'm a
            > genetic stew of northern, western and eastern
            > european cultures).
            >
            > I'm also a full time wife and mother. I live in
            > Charlotte, NC. I'm
            > very excited about joining the group!
            >
            > -Valerie

            http://www.ancientcoinstore.com
          • datrainn
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 17, 2006
              Valerie,
              Here's my standard note to new ancient coin cleaners and collectors
              with a few websites that are used to identify (attribute) ancient
              coins. As you look at them, many will have links to other sites. Check
              them out and save them in your bookmarks/favorites list. You will
              probably use them all at some time, later.
              First try:

              http://www.ancient-times.com/info/roman_titles.html

              It will show you HOW to look at the inscriptions on your coin.

              Then the first link to Waren Esty's site. It has some basic
              information that will be of help to you. Then try the others.

              Warren Esty's:
              http://esty.ancients.info/numis/index.html

              http://esty.ancients.info/numis/learnmore.html

              Doug Smith's:
              http://dougsmith.ancients.info/

              Ancient Coins for Education:
              http://www.bitsofhistory.com/ace/edulink.html

              Bary & Darling
              http://www.bitsofhistory.com/index_info.html

              Ancient's Info, page with lots of collector's sites:
              http://esty.ancients.info/numis/learnmore.html

              Forum:
              http://www.forumancientcoins.com/

              Some ATTRIBUTION Sites:
              http://wildwinds.com/coins/
              http://www.dirtyoldcoins.com/idindex.html
              http://www.coinarchives.com/a/
              http://www.catbikes.ch/coins-ric.htm

              You'll be amazed how quickly you'll be able to tell everything about
              your coins.

              Also, Join some of the great ancient coin related Yahoo! groups.
              You'll learn a lot about history, coins, sellers, dealers, and in some
              cases, have a bit of fun. Some that I would recommend:

              NumisTreasures-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
              (message 465)
              That will give you Herb (list owner) of Nemesis' paypal address and
              instructions for obtaining some free, what he calls, "culls" and a
              VERY helpful CD, for a nominal shipping fee.

              AncientPeddler-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

              Moneta-L-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

              UncleanedAncientCoins-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

              Uncleanedcoins-subscribe@yahoogroups.com