Update on my moving water idea

  • joeengebretson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2005
      I went out to Wallie World and fought off the crowds, to buy a $10
      aquarium setup as suggested.

      Basically, it was a 1 gallon plastic container with an itty bitty
      air pump and air stone.

      I borrowed an old charcoal/cotton water filter from my mother. I
      cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide to remove the algae that was on
      the filter, and used the stuffing out of one of the dog toys for the
      cotton filter. I did not use charcoal.

      For solution, I used 1 tablespoon of Sodium Carbonate per quart of
      DW. I haven't had any bad experiences with soaking coins in Sodium
      Carbonate, so this is my solution of choice. It seems to spped up
      soaking results. I also added 1/2 cup of hydrogen peroxide to kill
      any algae that I may have missed. I haven't had any bad experiences
      with soaking coins in straight hydrogen peroxide either (though no
      really good ones either), so didn't feel that it would harm the
      coins.

      I added a larger air pump to the filter, and am running the small
      one with an air stone, to add more current.

      I had to weigh the filter container down with coins from
      my "graveyard" because it wanted to float around.

      I am using two cup sized "tupperware" containers to hold the coins.
      I drilled a 100 or so holes in each, to facilitate water movement
      over the coins.

      I attached a clip from Chuck's coinzapper to each cup, and hung them
      on the side of the fish tank.

      I put about 40 coins, that I had just recieved, in each cup. I
      checked the coins every 30 minutes or so for the first few hours,
      just to make sure I wasn't destroying them.

      About 20 hours later, after first submersing them, I do believe that
      more dirt has been removed over conventional soaking.

      One coin that I posted about on the Forvms, that was 26.3mm and less
      than 5 grams weight, has lost a considerable amount of dirt already.
      It has lost .2 to .3 mm to the thickness. It doesn't sound like much
      I admit. The dirt is that annoying hard packed very fine sand, that
      you can scrape for half an hour, and really not make a dent in it.

      I can see a considerable change in dirt coats on most coins.

      The water is yellowish/brown, and my filter is still pretty much
      white, so I need to try something other than doggie toy guts as a
      filter. Going to buy some cotton balls today, and if that doesn't
      work, then I'll brave Wallie World again and get some regular fish
      filter material.

      I'm going to change the water tonight after work to just DW.

      Going to take some scans on my next batch of coins that I recieve,
      that I try this on, so I have before and after shots.

      So far everything seems to be working fine.
    • Jerry Jones
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2005
        Hey partner! Please keep us posted.. I know all are
        interested! Thanks and God Bless.. Jerry..

        http://www.ancientcoinstore.com