Bubbles on both anode and coin

  • hugoschro
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
      I have been using a very primitive setup consisting of a small
      converter, with a stainless steel spoon as anode and clipping the
      coins on with copper alligator clips. It works, though it is slow.
      When I can find a good variable speed converter I plan to make a more
      sophisticated setup, but for now this does all right.

      But I have a question. Both the anode and coin give bubbles, and
      both seem to gather gunk from the water. This is not a problem for
      me because it keeps the coins from becoming shiny and preserves a
      dark finish on them. Still, I wonder why it might be happening.
      Does anyone have any ideas?

      Hugo
    • Jerry Jones
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
        Hi Hugo! Great to know you are zapping.. it is not
        that unusual to get some activity on the anode and
        cathode. Also, I have observed that almost all anodes
        collect encrusatation with the exception of carbon
        (graphite).. if you have a electric motor (the large
        electric motors) service in your area you might be
        able to get a used carbon brush from them. The carbon
        works wonderfully.. let us know if you have success..
        one other thing, take a look at the diameter wire you
        have attached to the alligator clip. The wire should
        not be too small. I would only be guessing unless I
        knew more about your setup.. God Bless.. Jerry..
        --- hugoschro <hugoschro@...> wrote:

        > I have been using a very primitive setup consisting
        > of a small
        > converter, with a stainless steel spoon as anode and
        > clipping the
        > coins on with copper alligator clips. It works,
        > though it is slow.
        > When I can find a good variable speed converter I
        > plan to make a more
        > sophisticated setup, but for now this does all
        > right.
        >
        > But I have a question. Both the anode and coin give
        > bubbles, and
        > both seem to gather gunk from the water. This is
        > not a problem for
        > me because it keeps the coins from becoming shiny
        > and preserves a
        > dark finish on them. Still, I wonder why it might
        > be happening.
        > Does anyone have any ideas?
        >
        > Hugo

      • Jerry Jones
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
          One other thing Hugo,, go to the fies and photo
          section of CZ and make sure you go through everythign
          having to do with electrolysis.. may see something
          that will help.. God Bless.. Jerry..