UK Conservators Use Dremel brushses to clean Frome Hoard coins

  • The Lone Knight
    Message 1 of 4 , May 9, 2013
      UK Conservators Use Dremel brushses to clean Frome Hoard coins
      http://finds.org.uk/blogs/fromehoard/conservation-cleaning/

      Also more info about the ALKALINE ROCHELLE SOLUTION mentioned.

      ALKALINE ROCHELLE SALT SOLUTION
      - 50g Sodium Hydroxide
      - 150g Potassium Sodium Tartrate (Rochelle Salt)
      - 1000ml distilled water

      The narrator says they put the coins in the solution for ~10 mins, 30 mins max. Video source of the further info: http://podcast.open.ac.uk/oulearn/science/podcast-sa188-archaeology-scienceinvestigation#!04c898759c
    • Bob Lilja
      Message 2 of 4 , May 10, 2013
        You want to be careful if you handle sodium hydroxide (caustic soda), usually found in drain cleaners. It's insidious, if you don't rinse it away thoroughly you can get a bad burn, especially dangerous to your eyes. Eats up your clothes as well.

        Message 3 of 4 , May 10, 2013
          where do you get these chemicals?

          Leo G. Hernandez
          602-359-9628

          “If people are good only because they fear punishment,
          and hope for a reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.”

          Albert Einstein

          Message 4 of 4 , May 10, 2013
            You can find the supplies on Amazon.com. Use extreme caution though like Bob said it is hazardous stuff.

            My main point of posting though was to show the methods being used by a respected museum. All too often people ridicule electrolysis and dermel tools. So seeing highly caustic acid and dremel tools being used by professional conservators is helpful ammunition for or side in the coin cleaning debate.

            -Shawn