OT: My Roman Legion Presentation

  • The Lone Knight
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 12, 2013
      A little off topic. I did a presentation today with a friend about the Roman Legion and ancient Roman history for a group of home schooled. I was able share some of my coin and antiquities collection. All while helping inspire young minds to learn from and enjoy history.

      We were very well received and the entire crowd was very surprised to find that you could actually own a little piece of ancient history without breaking the bank.

      I donated a few low to medium grade coins to the group to have for a drawing after their ancient Roman history test.

      Here is a picture of my friend and I dressed out in our legionary gear. http://imgur.com/abzVfUU

      Best regards,
      -Shawn
    • leo hernandez
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 12, 2013
        You guys look great !....where are your sandles?
        I don't have a uniform but I did several similar presentations for schools in Phoenix, Arizona. For one class of gifted students I gave each a coin and then came in once a week to help them clean and identify their coins. They were thrilled to death ! I also taught them Roman numerals. Don't know who had the most fun me or them.
        I am proud to be a member of this group that values education. Keep up the great work.

        Leo G. Hernandez

        “If people are good only because they fear punishment,
        and hope for a reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.”

        Albert Einstein

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 12, 2013
          Thanks Leo,

          We have not finished making my sandals yet. So going barefoot was more authentic than wearing modern foot wear.

          The cleaning ID class you did sounds really neat. Since you spent a whole week with the class you could go really in depth and cover more.

          Our group was in Tampa, FL. I gave them the information to contact ACE which I am sure they will do.

          It was a blast sharing my passion for ancient history with the students and the parents alike. I was not sure how interested some of the children were until it came time for Q&A. Then even the ones that were not as engaged had questions.

          -Shawn

          --- In CoinZappers@yahoogroups.com, leo hernandez wrote:

          > You guys look great !....where are your sandles?
          > I don't have a uniform but I did several similar presentations for schools in Phoenix, Arizona. For one class of gifted students I gave each a coin and then came in once a week to help them clean and identify their coins. They were thrilled to death ! I also taught them Roman numerals. Don't know who had the most fun me or them.
          > I am proud to be a member of this group that values education. Keep up the great work.
          >
          > Leo G. Hernandez
          >

          > “If people are good only because they fear punishment,
          > and hope for a reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.”
          >
          > Albert Einstein
          >

          > ________________________________

        • RayK

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 13, 2013
              Not at all Off Topic. How will there be more of us if we do not educate? I also have done so at a magnet high school. You and your costumes are very authentic late Roman, and multi-ethnic as the Roman legions had become!

              --- In CoinZappers@yahoogroups.com, "The Lone Knight" wrote:

              > A little off topic. I did a presentation today with a friend about the Roman Legion and ancient Roman history for a group of home schooled. I was able share some of my coin and antiquities collection. All while helping inspire young minds to learn from and enjoy history.
              >
              > We were very well received and the entire crowd was very surprised to find that you could actually own a little piece of ancient history without breaking the bank.
              >
              > I donated a few low to medium grade coins to the group to have for a drawing after their ancient Roman history test.
              >
              > Here is a picture of my friend and I dressed out in our legionary gear. http://imgur.com/abzVfUU
              >
              > Best regards,
              > -Shawn

            • coinscrubber
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 13, 2013
                Very cool! Where did you get the gear? I think I might start putting some equipment together too! Even if I don't wear it too often, it would be pretty cool to have on a stand by my desk. Then someday when I am rich and famous I can put it in my library where my 100 million dollar coin and antiquities collection will be on display :-). Oh wait, did I start daydreaming?
                Thanks!
                Nathan

                --- In CoinZappers@yahoogroups.com, "The Lone Knight" wrote:

                > A little off topic. I did a presentation today with a friend about the Roman Legion and ancient Roman history for a group of home schooled. I was able share some of my coin and antiquities collection. All while helping inspire young minds to learn from and enjoy history.
                >
                > We were very well received and the entire crowd was very surprised to find that you could actually own a little piece of ancient history without breaking the bank.
                >
                > I donated a few low to medium grade coins to the group to have for a drawing after their ancient Roman history test.
                >
                > Here is a picture of my friend and I dressed out in our legionary gear. http://imgur.com/abzVfUU
                >
                > Best regards,
                > -Shawn

              • The Lone Knight
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 14, 2013
                  Thanks everyone for the nice replies.

                  For those interested in Roman armor.
                  Here are two sources I used:
                  http://kultofathena.com
                  http://legvi.tripod.com/armamentarium/
                  Be sure to price compare as it is the same manufacture Deepeeka that makes the armor. My cloth items were hand sewn to be more authentic, but you can purchase those too.

                  Best regards,
                  -Shawn