Slight problem with zapping

  • zappinmahcoins
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 9, 2012
      Hi guys.

      Just started out in the hobby, and I have run into a little snag.

      I can't seem to get the old coin to zap. My setup is this :
      6v power supply leading to 2 alligator clips (one red, one black) with screws on em.

      The wires have been stripped and wrapped around the screws and tightened down. I have a solution of sodium carbonate (Super Washing Soda from Walmart), and for my anode I have a stainless steel spoon I bought at the dollar store.

      Basically, the spoon is bent and the handle is in a small glass vase I use for zapping. I have the red attached to the spoon portion of the spoon and the coin in the black clip. The coin is fully submerged with metal touching the metal of the clip, and maybe half of the teeth are actually in the solution.

      When I get everything set up, I plug it in and the water will bubble a bit, and bubbles form on the spoon, but after 30 mins or so nothing (and I mean NOTHING) is happening with the coin.

      Any ideas? I thought of going up to a 12v supply, maybe using bigger/better alligator clips, or even so far as to submerge the clips in the solution to see if that helps, but I wanted to check with you guys first.

      Any helps appreciated!
    • Theo M
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 9, 2012
        Did you make sure the soda dissolved properly.
        It normally dissolves better in warm/hotter water.
      • Ray Kaye

          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 9, 2012
            Hey my friend!  First of all try to secure several solid copper alligator clips.  I like the Mueller 60 C alligator clips.  Next, look on your Washing Soda box and make sure you have 100% sodium carbonate.  Your solution should be 1.5 teaspoonfuls of SC to one quart of water.

            Be sure your positive is connected to the anode.  DO NOT use stainless steel.  SS contains potentially harmful chromium.  Use mild steel or carbon for your anode.  SS is great to use as your cathode.  The cathode is not in contact with the solution.  Also, try to grasp the coin by the edge and allow no more than 1/8" of the copper clip to hang in solution.

            We want all the coin submerged.  I suggest you use a #10 or #12 gauge multi-strand insulated wire for connections.  If you use a piece of mild steel for your cathode, strip your wire back and wrap very tightly against the mild steel.  You want a good contact.  Using pliars give the wire a good tight twist and snug up against the anode.  Take a piece of electricians black tape and wrap the naked part of the copper wire that is wrapped around the anode.

            Cover as little of the anode as possible with the tape.  If you don't get activity from the coin then you may have a power supply problem.  While your DC power supply (not AC!) is plugged in run a test by quickly touching the positive wire to the negative to make you are getting a dc spark.  If you are getting spark and have all else in place, you shoule be able to Zap.

            Try what I have suggested and please let us know if you have success.  God Bless.. Jerry.. PS:  Please see the illustration I have provided on our CoinZappers home page..

            - Jerry Jones
            My Coin Store: http://www.AncientCoinStore.com
            My Blog: http://AncientPeddler.Blogspot.com

            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 9, 2012
              Silly question, but is the red wire connected to the positive end of the power source? (you did not say)

               Sometimes I squeeze the tip of the clip onto the coin to be sure the metal touches metal.

              Check your power source with a voltmeter to be sure it is still working. See if it smells burnt.

              I use a 12v 7amp battery and it will zap anything.

              -Michael

              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 9, 2012
                Hi Michael!  I like 12 volts DC and 6 amps.. we are close  :  ) However, I also trickle Zap too..  God Bless.. Jerry..

                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 20, 2012
                  Appreciate the advice guys.

                  I think I am going to buy a power supply from the store. I finally got the chance to play a bit with the setup and so far I have switched from a 6v supply to a 12v, and a nail instead of a stainless steel spoon, but still no luck.

                  I think I must just be having some sort of mental block on these.

                  One question though, I see different tips regarding copper alligator clips. Should I use them or not?

                  For instance, today I got a mini engraver and sanded down a small portion of the side of the coin to ensure there was metal/metal contact with the alligator clip I use, and put the nail in the solution and attached the red clip to the top of it (not submerged at all). Had it sitting in the solution for about an hour and nothing whatsoever happening other than some small bubbles on the nail.

                  The coins I have aren't gold or anything super special, I just like the look of ancient coins and would like to zap em to make em look best on the display shelf I have.

                  Any tips appreciated :)

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 21, 2012
                        I have occasionally had the same problem with the Washing Soda and have found mixing it with warm water works well to dissolve the washing soda.
                        Regards
                        Theodore
                      • C F
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 21, 2012
                          It will be :)

                          Gonna buy one from either Walmart or Harbor Freight later on today.

                          The weird thing? When I started, I used a 9 volt battery (ok, 3 or 4 of them) and damned if it didn't work like a charm.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 21, 2012
                            Hey my friend!  I would use a mild steel bolt and make sure it is 4" or so in length and 1'4" to 1/2" in diameter.. hope this helps.. God Bless.. Jerry..

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 21, 2012
                              You're sure the iron is the anode (+) connection?

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 21, 2012
                                Positive.

                                I think that my ac adapter is just busted. I am pretty sure I would get a jolt if I liked the wires, but I think I am just going to buy a new one from the store tonight.

                                The nail I have is steel, about 7 inches long and about 1/2" thick. Sort of a giant spike more than anything.

                                The way I have it set up is in a glass vase, and plan to put the nail into the solution (won't be completely submerged but a good portion will be), clip the red lead to it, put the coin in the black lead clip, set it in the water (coin covered, clip out of the water), and let her rip.

                                The solution I have been using isn't really measured much, I mainly put about 3/4" of the vase full of water (somewhere around 4-5 cups of distilled water), and 2 spoons worth (big spoons) of the washing soda. My original one I did with the 9volt was with baking soda.

                                Hopefully I will have some good news later tonight or tomorrow :)

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jul 21, 2012
                                  AC adapter? That might be the problem you need DC :p
                                • Jerry Jones
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jul 21, 2012
                                    Please let us know what happens and God Bless.. Jerry..

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jul 22, 2012
                                        Hey

                                        The 9v worked great actually. It took some time and a little elbow grease, but it zapped like a charm :)

                                        Little brass brush work and some toothbrush brushing, and it came out looking great. I'd recommend hitting the dollar store or something instead just because the battery ends up being used up pretty quickly.

                                        Also, an update! Bought the new adapter, plugged it in, and apparently still having some issues but it's working better than the old one did heh.

                                        It's got a switch to switch the leads between the wires, the positive can be switched to the negative, etc.

                                        So far I am trying to zap a coin, but I am kinda having some trouble. The leads are set like I think they should be, using baking soda for the solution, but both the nail spike and the coin are both bubbling. Turns out when I put the wires into the solution they both bubble, so at this point I am just letting it go for a bit and seeing what happens.

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jul 23, 2012
                                          The current splits water into hydrogen and oxygen as well as pushes sodium to the coin at the anode. Usually, you see more bubbles at the anode.

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jul 25, 2012
                                            Got it :)

                                            Had a great (or insane) idea the other day. Had a coin that I could only clean half of. No amount of zapping, even through the night, was making a dent in the crud on the side. It was like the coin was literally half copper and half dirt. I could see the start of a spiked crown or something close, and a slight figure on the back but no luck getting anything off.

                                            Decided to let it soak in some hydrogen peroxide. That sorta helped a bit, but even with the brass brush scrubbing still nada.

                                            Last night I decided to plop it in a dixie cup with just a little bit of CLR in there. Just enough to cover the coin. Woke up this morning (bout 4 hours?) and looked at the cup and the solution had turned a green color. Pulled the coin out, rinsed it off, and literally 4 or 5 scrubs with the brush later it's completely clean. I can see the full profile of the coin's head, and see the nice lady on the back as well. No clue what the coin is, other than pretty and somewhat offstruck.

                                            Thought someone else might like to take a shot at another way to clean. CLR is some great stuff, but I'd not recommend this unless you have something you just cannot seem to clean.

                                            Also, new power supply from wal mart seems to be working pretty good. It's kind of odd, but I have noticed "pulses" of bubbles on the nail I use, and the coin I am zapping. Still, seems to do a good job, so no complaining yet :)

                                            Thanks for all the help and advice!

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jul 25, 2012
                                              Sorry!   I meant to say the coin is at the cathode.  CLR is a less hazardous acid, probably hydroxyacetic. You can use white vinegar, 5% acetic, to take less metal from the coin.The green is dissolved copper.

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jul 26, 2012
                                                Gonna give that a try tonight! (the vinegar idea)

                                                I thought the green solution would be copper. Any ideas for the soak time versus the CLR soak time?

                                                Hate the smell of the stuff, but hey, if it makes the coins look good I will give it a shot.

[...]

                                              • driftless
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jul 26, 2012
                                                  CLR is used to clean boilers and heat exchangers. It can remove Copper. Use with discretion.

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jul 26, 2012
                                                    Measure the current. Since you have Copper showing and you have some metal ions in the water, you may be pulling the max current from the power supply and causing its thermal protection to cut the current, until it cools down enough and then start the cycle again.

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jul 26, 2012
                                                      That is why I use a battery.

                                                      Here is what I use and it will zap anything in a few minutes. The first link is the battery and the second is the charger for it:

                                                      Total cost for both, $40 plus shipping.

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Jul 26, 2012
                                                        Thanks for sharing Mike and God Bless.. Jerry.. PS: I have been using the Pyramid 26KX unit for years and I am conserding buying another.. I can regulate my metered amps with the unit..