Replace Patina after zapping

  • garysettergren
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
      Hi all,
      Back home for a few and have seen some interesting uses of electrolysis. The use of electrolyte in solution to achieve desired patina or to enhance the desired look of a coin that has been effected by zapping. My question is, " Is this something that is pretty much the norm or is it out of line. The results I saw were pretty amazing. Would like to hear from all on this subject. Thanks again, Good to be home!!
      Gary
    • Jerry Jones
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
        Hi Gary!  Great to hear from you my friend and I hope you are home for good partner.  Gary, you will find people like me who would not be involved with ancient coins if I did not have my Zapper and then you have the naysayers who think or pretend to think that we are short of committing criminal acts when we Zap a coin.

        My thesis is that I pay my 3 bucks for a crusty coin and I have the right to clean the way I want to.  I have seen the awful products of  coins cleaned using "hard tools" and I think therin lies the travesty.  The digging and gouging of potentially beautiful coins is repulsive to me.  I repeat that the method we employ is considered to be an archival and safe way for cleaning coins/artifacts and is used as a restoration mehod across the world in museums.

        Zapping is the kindest way I know to clean a coin and I have now Zapped thousands of ancients very effectively and I think I know what I am talking about.  However, the "gougers" have the same right as I do.. they have the right to gouge and I have the right to Zap.  Now that I have unloaded I will try to answer your question more directly Gary.  I would say that I can leave a nice patina on about 98% of the coins I Zap.  One must work towards this end and success comes with repetition.

        If I Zap 10 coins I am a better Zapper than when I have Zapped one coin.  When I have Zapped 100 I am much better and on and on.  I believe one should check the coins pretty often when Zapping and prod with my trusty Bamboo Sticks.  Try to disturb and push the crsut from the coin.  The earlier in the Zap one is able to release all the crust the less patina will be lost.

        A couple years ago I came up with a process to restore patina to a coin when the patina has been removed.  Gary, please take a look at one of my old articles from my blog and see if it helps: http://tinyurl.com/ylb682c%c2%a0 Here is another article I wrote: http://tinyurl.com/yjmth7u%c2%a0%c2%a0Here is one more Gary:  http://tinyurl.com/2hfqaa%c2%a0 I hope the articles will help and if you go through my blog you will find much more.  I am very pleased you have returned and feel free to ask all the questions you like as you continue your work.  I hope all members will feel free to open this to discussion.. thanks and God Bless.. Jerry..
        - Jerry Jones
        My Coin Store: http://www.AncientCoinStore.com
        My Blog: http://AncientPeddler.Blogspot.com

        ________________________________
        Back home for a few and have seen some interesting uses of electrolysis. The use of electrolyte in solution to achieve desired patina or to enhance the desired look of a coin that has been effected by zapping. My question is, " Is this something that is pretty much the norm or is it out of line. The results I saw were pretty amazing. Would like to hear from all on this subject. Thanks again, Good to be home!!
        Gary

      • Gord T.
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
          I heard the best re-patination was achieved by placing zapped coins in a pile of cow dung and leaving in the field for a couple of season!  My thoughts, no artificial repat achieves what a couple of thousand years in sitsu creates.

          Back home for a few and have seen some interesting uses of electrolysis. The use of electrolyte in solution to achieve desired patina or to enhance the desired look of a coin that has been effected by zapping. My question is, " Is this something that is pretty much the norm or is it out of line. The results I saw were pretty amazing. Would like to hear from all on this subject. Thanks again, Good to be home!!
          Gary

        • ritalinphreak
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 2, 2010
            I never had any luck with coins sitting around for a year on the window sill to retone. Not the slightest bit. I have not tried sticking them in the ground or crapheap yet. Best I found so far is Jax brown. Don't bother with the 'black' formula. Makes a sick silvery black color. The 'green' does nothing I can see even sitting in it for 24 hours. Yeah, zap, wash, Jax brown shortly thereafter because you never know when the psychedelic rainbow effect will set in. Then let it sit for a week and wax to seal in the goodness and seal out water and buff the thing.
          • troy274
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 2, 2010
              G'Day Jerry and group

              Kinda dropped out of site there for a while. Had some things I needed to deal with an also moved in Nov. Jest been deleting the groups posts :(
              Any way unpacked a box on the weekend and found my zapping gear. So when this email came thru thought I would read it.
              And low and behold you popped your links in and I just love those coins of yours, just beautiful!
              Thinks it about time I bought me some new crusties and set my zapper up. I have actually got a bigger area to do so in the new place.
              Common bronze still a good place to get coins?

              --- In CoinZappers@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Jones <jceaus@...> wrote:

              > A couple years ago I came up with a process to restore patina to a coin when the patina has been removed.  Gary, please take a look at one of my old articles from my blog and see if it helps: http://tinyurl.com/ylb682c%c3%82%c2%a0 Here is another article I wrote: http://tinyurl.com/yjmth7u%c3%82%c2%a0%c3%82%c2%a0Here is one more Gary:  http://tinyurl.com/2hfqaa%c3%82%c2%a0 I hope the articles will help and if you go through my blog you will find much more.  I am very pleased you have returned and feel free to ask all the questions you like as you continue your work.  I hope all members will feel free to open this to discussion.. thanks and God Bless.. Jerry..
              > - Jerry Jones
              > My Coin Store: http://www.AncientCoinStore.com
              > My Blog: http://AncientPeddler.Blogspot.com
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Jerry Jones
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 2, 2010
                Hey my friend and thanks Gary!  Please keep us posted as to what you find and how they turn out.  I have not bought crusties in a while but I do need to check out CB!  Tom and Tony are very honest and you get what you see.. Great guys to deal with.. Really glad to have you back partner.. God Bless.. Jerry..
                 - Jerry Jones
                My Coin Store: http://www.AncientCoinStore.com
                My Blog: http://AncientPeddler.Blogspot.com

                ________________________________
                Kinda dropped out of site there for a while. Had some things I needed to deal with an also moved in Nov. Jest been deleting the groups posts :(
                Any way unpacked a box on the weekend and found my zapping gear. So when this email came thru thought I would read it.
                And low and behold you popped your links in and I just love those coins of yours, just beautiful!
                Thinks it about time I bought me some new crusties and set my zapper up. I have actually got a bigger area to do so in the new place.
                Common bronze still a good place to get coins?

                --- In CoinZappers@ yahoogroups. com, Jerry Jones <jceaus@...> wrote:

                > A couple years ago I came up with a process to restore patina to a coin when the patina has been removed.  Gary, please take a look at one of my old articles from my blog and see if it helps: http://tinyurl. com/ylb682c  Here is another article I wrote: http://tinyurl. com/yjmth7u  Here is one more Gary:  http://tinyurl. com/2hfqaa  I hope the articles will help and if you go through my blog you will find much more.  I am very pleased you have returned and feel free to ask all the questions you like as you continue your work.  I hope all members will feel free to open this to discussion.. thanks and God Bless.. Jerry..
                > - Jerry Jones
                > My Coin Store: http://www.AncientC oinStore. com
                > My Blog: http://AncientPeddl er.Blogspot. com
                >

                > ____________ _________ _________ __

              • Jerry Jones
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 2, 2010
                  Hey partner!  I have not tried the Jax but need to.. thanks and God Bless.. Jerry..

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 2, 2010
                    I thought the same about the jax green until someone told me you do not use it like the black / brown.
                    You dunk the coin in, then leave it to dry without wiping etc (preferably in the sun).
                    I tend to use it after jax brown. Sometimes it gives a nice even greenish tone on top, sometimes it gives green splodges (which may or may not appeal) and sometimes it does very little. I get the impression you cannot re-use it for as long as the other Jax products.

                    Cheers

                    Dan

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 2, 2010
                      Thanks Dan and God Bless.. Jerry..

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 2, 2010
                        Ave!

                        JAX Green can be a very cool re-patinizing product or can sometimes have
                        no effect at all. :-( Not sure why, but probably due to the copper
                        content in the metal.

                        Here's a nice trick as to how to use JAX Green:

                        After zapping, SBBBing, DD-smoothing, PreLim or whatever it takes to get
                        your coin's surface ready for re-pat, set the coin on a fingernail
                        brush, then apply the JAX Green with a cotton swab. I then place the
                        brush with coin under my lighted magnifyng glass, lowering the light to
                        within four to five inches to allow the heat of the light to dry the JAX
                        solution. (Or use any other handy lightbulb.) Once the solution is dry,
                        check to see if the result meets your needs. If not, repeat. If so, flip
                        the coin (being careful to not touch the treated surface as it's not yet
                        set) onto the brush and repeat step one with the cotton swab. Again,
                        repeat as necessary.

                        Jax Green 'browns' as well as 'greens', ya know? So, if you only want
                        the green present inside the details/legends, etc., but not on the
                        portrait/reverse high-lights, (my preference) (AKA Dan's green splodges
                        as noted below) do this:

                        An hour or so after both sides have dried, set the coin onto a soft
                        cotton towel that you don't mind getting permanently stained, press down
                        very gently and swirl in circular motions. This will remove the green
                        from the portaits etc. Repeat on the other side. ;-)

                        Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that they didn't care for JAX
                        Black; it's not my favorite either but it can sometimes have a
                        spectacular effect when used in conjuction with JAX Green!

                        Soak the coin the in JAX Black and remove it before it turns compeltely
                        black. (FYI - the very most common mistake with all JAX solutions is
                        over-soaking; always remove your coin from the solution before it
                        appears to be done!) Rinse under running water but DO NOT brush! Allow
                        the coin to dry naturally or under a light for a just a few hours and
                        then apply a small amount of JAX Green with a cotton swab. Follow the
                        above instructions for a real eye-popping effect!

                        At this point, you need to allow the coin to rest for a few days to
                        allow the new patination to set/harden. Wax and flip.

                        Hope this helps,

                        Best,

                        Kevin

                        nobleromancoins.com

                        --- In CoinZappers@yahoogroups.com, Dan K <drkearnage@...> wrote:

                        > I thought the same about the jax green until someone told me you do
                        not use it like the black / brown.
                        > You dunk the coin in, then leave it to dry without wiping etc
                        (preferably in the sun).
                        > I tend to use it after jax brown. Sometimes it gives a nice even
                        greenish tone on top, sometimes it gives green splodges (which may or
                        may not appeal) and sometimes it does very little. I get the impression
                        you cannot re-use it for as long as the other Jax products.

                        > Cheers
                        >
                        > Dan
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • barbara grose
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 2, 2010
                          Can add two cents here. Have used Jax and agree the brown is most desireable for coins. Have all four. Did use black on some artifacts that I had cleaned for someone. Actually he sent them back to do so and was very pleased with the results. Also have used Jerry's reverse electrolosis and find it especially good on smaller coins. Dellars is another product that I have had success with. Had cleaned some coins for someone that wanted them zapped but not shiny, all in all he was pleased with the results. Even tried jax along with reverse electrolosis with some very interesting results.

                          Finding each coin somewhat has it's own personality in how it accepts the various treatments. Work well on one but not the next. Oh well trial and error, just zap again. Have also left the zapping solution on rather than dip in vinegar, seems those have a tendency to darken as well. Didn't get around to reading all of the posts, so forgive me, somewhat jumping in on the tailend of the topic, if I am overlapping others or missing something, simply out of time here, but have enjoyed experimenting with all of the above and still do. My eyes are cringing trying to write this, a bit tired wouldn't you say LOL'S

                          Best regards,

                          Barbara

                          I never had any luck with coins sitting around for a year on the window sill to retone. Not the slightest bit. I have not tried sticking them in the ground or crapheap yet. Best I found so far is Jax brown. Don't bother with the 'black' formula. Makes a sick silvery black color. The 'green' does nothing I can see even sitting in it for 24 hours. Yeah, zap, wash, Jax brown shortly thereafter because you never know when the psychedelic rainbow effect will set in. Then let it sit for a week and wax to seal in the goodness and seal out water and buff the thing.

                        • Dan K
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 2, 2010
                            As it happens I think the someone who told me how to use Jax Green may have been Kevin...

                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 2, 2010
                              Great stuff Kev and thank you my friend! I plan to save this post and I plan to give this a try at some point.. thanks again and God Bless.. Jerry..

                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 2, 2010
                                Thanks for sharing Barb!  God Bless.. Jerry..