What is your most beautiful, interesting Ancient coin and why?

  • Jan de Veen
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2003
      About a week ago Jerry came up with the original idea for something that could turn into a
      great thing if we get enough participation from the members from AncientPeddlers and
      CoinZappers, and after discussing and refining this idea together he asked me to present
      it to you which I hereby do with great pride!

      The idea is to let you as AP and CZ members nominate the finest, most beautiful or
      interesting ancient coin in your personal collection, provide me with a picture of this
      coin (either send it to me personally or upload it to the files section of AncientPeddlers
      or CoinZappers) and give a short explanation as to why you like it so much.

      I would then collect these pictures together with your comments and put them on a web page
      and link to it from the ACP, CZ and ACT yahoo pages.

      To give you an idea of what such a page would look like here is a similar page that was
      created by tjbuggey about a year ago by asking people in Moneta-L to nominate what they
      saw as the most historically significant ancient coins (not in their own collection). The
      very interesting results -most of them anyway, some pictures are apparently gone- can
      still be seen at:

      http://www.people.memphis.edu/~tjbuggey/histor.html

      So to summarize:

      1. What do you regard as the finest, most beautiful, fascinating, [fill in the blanks]
      Ancient coin (Roman, Greek, Byzantine) in your collection - please provide a picture.

      2. Give a description (not too long) why you like it so much.

      -There's is no deadline for this request!
      -I will repost this request on a regular basis (say once a month)!
      -The page should grow as new members join our lists!
      -You can obviously change your entry at an time if you get a new "best coin"!

      I already started thinking about what my entry will be, and will present it to you asap
      but certainly in the next few days. Who will be the first to volunteer besides me and will
      anyone beat me to it? ;-)

      Kind regards,

      Jan de Veen

      http://www.chijanofuji.com/Roman_Coins.html
    • Jerry Jones
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2003
        Hi Jan! I knew you would do a great job with this and
        I find it to be both fascinating and interesting! I
        can't wait to see some the coins. Thanks very much for
        taking on this task.. God Bless my friend.. Jerry..

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com