Hello from new member

  • andrew.sistrand@snet.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
      Hello to the group and thank you for accepting me.

      I don't know how long my interest in zapping coins will last because I
      try out a lot of hobbies, but I do have a very strong interest in
      ancient history, and I love to clean old stuff. I've restored antique
      furniture and I used to collect old carpenter's tools. Electrolysis
      for cleaning old metals intrigues me; I've never tried it before.

      I have purchased a group of 25 uncleaned Roman coins from "Purse of
      the Legionary" on eBay, and I am waiting to get them. I probably
      already have all the materials I need to build any of the zappers
      described in the group files.

      My question is, does higher amperage clean coins quicker than lower
      amperage? My impulse is to build one of the 6 amp zappers.

      Thanks,

      Andrew
    • Jerry Jones
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
        Hi Andy and welcome my friend!  Andy, I certainly think the 6 amp unit is much better.  I have Zapped thousands of coins and I use my Zapper with the 6 amp potential much more than any other.  I also have restored many antiques and have quite a few.  I have an interest in antiquities so I think we must have much in common.

        My dad owned a refinishing shop and I used to help him restore items too.  Andy, we will have to share tips some time : )  Great to have you as a member and I was as you at one time.  I moved from one hobby to another but once I stumbled across ancient coins and developed the Zapper I have been hooked!  I hope it happens to you.  The coins and cleaning the coins is addictive!

        One other thing.  As you practice cleaning your coins I suggest you order some of the 30 cent coins from commonbronze.com  I will go so far as to say Tom and Tony at CB are great guys to deal with and they are impeccably honest.  The 30 centers are a very cheap way to expermiment without fear of over Zapping a nice coin..  Thanks again and God Bless.. Jerry..

          http://www.ancientcoinstore.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2009
          Jerry, thanks for your response, I'll make the 6 amp apparatus. I'm
          still waiting for my coins, of course. Yes, we do have many things in
          common. I am also an artist by profession, and I have worked with many
          technically complicated media,including etching, lithography,
          blacksmithing, and metal forming. Currently I make my living as a
          tattoo artist in New Haven, Connecticut, a trade I have practiced for
          some years now, and is also a trade involving arcane electrical
          apparati. On the other hand, I have also painted Russian Orthodox
          religious icons in egg tempera under the tutelage of a Russian priest.
          I recently bought a Byzantine ring from you, and you sent a little
          print of a rooster with it, which I thank you for. Is it a lithograph?
          I'm looking forward to a long and fruitful relationship.

          Andrew

          --- In CoinZappers@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Jones <jceaus@...> wrote:

          > Hi Andy and welcome my friend!  Andy, I certainly think the 6 amp
          unit is much better.  I have Zapped thousands of coins and I use my
          Zapper with the 6 amp potential much more than any other.  I also have
          restored many antiques and have quite a few.  I have an interest in
          antiquities so I think we must have much in common.

          > My dad owned a refinishing shop and I used to help him restore items
          too.  Andy, we will have to share tips some time : )  Great to have
          you as a member and I was as you at one time.  I moved from one hobby
          to another but once I stumbled across ancient coins and developed the
          Zapper I have been hooked!  I hope it happens to you.  The coins and
          cleaning the coins is addictive!

          > One other thing.  As you practice cleaning your coins I suggest
          you order some of the 30 cent coins from commonbronze.com  I will go
          so far as to say Tom and Tony at CB are great guys to deal with and
          they are impeccably honest.  The 30 centers are a very cheap way to
          expermiment without fear of over Zapping a nice coin..  Thanks again
          and God Bless.. Jerry..

          >   http://www.ancientcoinstore.com

        • Jerry Jones
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2009
            Wow Andrew!  Great to have you aboard my friend.  Andy, I sold my etching press to the U of Texas a few years ago.  I have some health issues and am aging.  I am glad you liked the miniature and you must have a fine hand also.  I think you will really enjoy your coin cleaning my friend.  I am hooked on the images.  I used to do lithography and etching before I retired from my college teaching.  I had full access to a very good press in my art dept.

            As I said I have sold my etching press and I am doing mostly graphite on paper.  I have a friend who has a very sophisticated offset press and I can manage it fine.  We are here to help and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.. God Bless.. Jerry.. PS: I hope you liked the ring.. It is unusual and I have not seen another like it..