David H. Coffman relationship

  • wkauffman
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2012
      Earlier this year a descendant of David H. Coffman tested at FamilyTreeDNA.com His results show that he is NOT a member of either one of the major Amish/Mennonite families.

      We are looking for additional male descendants to test at Familytreedna.com to confirm the result and to make sure there are no "non parental events" present from the earlier colonial period of descendants.
    • Vicki Meagher
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5, 2012
        Hello:

        You need male descendants who are surname descendants, right?

        In other words, only male Coffmans, not males who are descended from David H. Coffman through their mother's line? That is, no males who are descended from female Coffmans who are descendants?

        Vicki Meagher

        On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 10:03 AM, wkauffman <wkauffman@...> wrote:

        Earlier this year a descendant of David H. Coffman tested at FamilyTreeDNA.com His results show that he is NOT a member of either one of the major Amish/Mennonite families.

        We are looking for additional male descendants to test at Familytreedna.com to confirm the result and to make sure there are no "non parental events" present from the earlier colonial period of descendants.

      • joyce moore
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 5, 2012
          Only the male line can be tested for the Y DNA, as the female does not carry a Y gene.

           However, if you get a result that shows the person is not one of the Amish/Mennonite lines, you need to look at who else he matches. I was under the impression that David Coffman matched them. A cousin did a DNA test for me and it showed he was not even a Coffman. Another cousin, descended from another brother, proved to be a probable descendant of John Nicholas Coffman. I think the first cousin was adopted. Many times there were adoptions that occured because the family died, someone took the child in, and no one said anything way back in the 1700 and 1800 hundreds.  There could have been a sister that married a Coffman and took the child in and he took that name, the father culd have died and the mother remarried ad the child took the stepfather's name, etc. There is also the chance of Mother's baby, Daddys maybe???

          Joyce Moore