Re: family crest

  • wally.coffman
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 19, 2008
      Hello, Bobby
      There are about 12 or 13 different crests for the name Kaufmann and
      derivatives and most of them are from Switzerland. There is one or
      two from Germany and France. I have not heard that any of them are
      Jewish or Christian. According to Charles F. Kaufmann, the name
      Kaufmann was adopted by people of the Jewish faith probably because of
      their occupation. At least that is the way that I interrupted the
      phrase by C. F. Kaufmann. Where did your research take you to
      ascertain that the crest is Jewish?
      Wally Coffman

      --- In CoffmanFamilyHistory@yahoogroups.com, "bobby"

    • grtinvesting2@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 19, 2008
        thank you so much for your reply!
        every time i look for my coat of arms like this site.
        http://www.historicalnames.com/namelistdetail_c.asp?surname=Coffman&master=Coffman&origin=JE
        and this site
        http://www.lastnamecommerce.com/index.html

        they tell me my origen is jewish, i had bought a book years ago (by the halbert,s family heritage ) that told me that my linage was Irish. the coat of arms look alike except the shild is differnt. in my book it says that the shild should be one way and the pictures i got off line show another. I want to get a tattoo of my family crest but I want to make sure it is right. here is a picture of the one on line. i will be making an new shild for the tattoo soon useing the picture from the book i bought.

        From: "wally.coffman" <wally.coffman@...>