My Coffman Line

  • Tim Bear
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 18, 2006
      David Harmon Coffman was my 5th great grandfather his wife was
      Elizabeth Ann Hurley
      Two of there daughter were my 4th great grandmotheres they were.
      Elizabeth Coffman - John Legg

      Nancy Coffman - William Legg

      If you are kin two either of my 4th great grandmotheres then you
      will want to check out my Leggfamilyhistory group
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Leggfamilyhistory/
      There are a few pictures of the Legg's there.

      I do have some information on the Coffman's it is on my Family tree
      maker site
      Ancestors of Timothy A. Bear
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CoffmanFamilyHistory/post

      I will be posting what info. annd documents that I have as time
      permits.
      Any information would be deeply appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Tim Bear
    • docjeffh
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 30, 2006
        Hello Tim,

        Thank you for putting together this group! David Harmon Coffman was
        my 4th greatgrandfather. I descend from his son David Harmon Coffman
        Jr, who was a brother to your 4th greatgrandmothers Elizabeth and Nancy.

        I will try to add information as time permits. I have a copy of a
        book titled "Across the River: a History of the Legg and Coffman
        Families" which was published privately (I think) back in the late
        60's. It's a great resource for the history of our ancestors. Much
        to share!

        Meanwhile, I have photographs of the gravesites of Nancy Coffman and
        William Legg in Legg Cemetery, Limestone County, Alabama. Would you
        like copies? I have many photographs of other Coffman gravestones too
        in northern Alabama. I could also try to post them here if you like.

        Thanks again,

        Jeff Hargrove

        --- In CoffmanFamilyHistory@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Bear"
        <tatonka4204@...> wrote:

        > David Harmon Coffman was my 5th great grandfather his wife was
        > Elizabeth Ann Hurley
        > Two of there daughter were my 4th great grandmotheres they were.
        > Elizabeth Coffman - John Legg
        >
        > Nancy Coffman - William Legg
        >
        > If you are kin two either of my 4th great grandmotheres then you
        > will want to check out my Leggfamilyhistory group
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Leggfamilyhistory/
        > There are a few pictures of the Legg's there.
        >
        > I do have some information on the Coffman's it is on my Family tree
        > maker site
        > Ancestors of Timothy A. Bear
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CoffmanFamilyHistory/post
        >
        > I will be posting what info. annd documents that I have as time
        > permits.
        > Any information would be deeply appreciated.
        > Thanks,
        > Tim Bear

      • Tim Bear
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 30, 2006
          Hello,
          It is great to have you here, I hope we will get many others to join.
          Please post the pictures, I do not have on the Coffman's.
          I wish I could say I have lots to share but I do not.
          I think I do have somewhere pictures of some of the houses of the
          Coffmen's.
          I think one is a cabin built by David Coffmen Jr. if you are
          interested I will post them here.
          Thanks,
          Tim

          --- In CoffmanFamilyHistory@yahoogroups.com, "docjeffh"
          <docjeffh@...> wrote:

          > Hello Tim,
          >
          > Thank you for putting together this group! David Harmon Coffman
          was
          > my 4th greatgrandfather. I descend from his son David Harmon
          Coffman
          > Jr, who was a brother to your 4th greatgrandmothers Elizabeth and
          Nancy.

          > I will try to add information as time permits. I have a copy of a
          > book titled "Across the River: a History of the Legg and Coffman
          > Families" which was published privately (I think) back in the late
          > 60's. It's a great resource for the history of our ancestors.
          Much
          > to share!
          >
          > Meanwhile, I have photographs of the gravesites of Nancy Coffman
          and
          > William Legg in Legg Cemetery, Limestone County, Alabama. Would
          you
          > like copies? I have many photographs of other Coffman gravestones
          too
          > in northern Alabama. I could also try to post them here if you
          like.

          > Thanks again,
          >
          > Jeff Hargrove
          >
          > --- In CoffmanFamilyHistory@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Bear"
          > <tatonka4204@> wrote:
          > >
          > > David Harmon Coffman was my 5th great grandfather his wife was
          > > Elizabeth Ann Hurley
          > > Two of there daughter were my 4th great grandmotheres they were.
          > > Elizabeth Coffman - John Legg
          > >
          > > Nancy Coffman - William Legg
          > >
          > > If you are kin two either of my 4th great grandmotheres then you
          > > will want to check out my Leggfamilyhistory group
          > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Leggfamilyhistory/
          > > There are a few pictures of the Legg's there.
          > >
          > > I do have some information on the Coffman's it is on my Family
          tree
          > > maker site
          > > Ancestors of Timothy A. Bear
          > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CoffmanFamilyHistory/post
          > >
          > > I will be posting what info. annd documents that I have as time
          > > permits.
          > > Any information would be deeply appreciated.
          > > Thanks,
          > > Tim Bear

        • paperandfire902
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 4, 2007
            Hi, I am new to the discussion board, so I'm not sure on where to
            post. With your David Coffman I am wondering if this is the same
            David that I have listed as married to Harriet Jones, abt. 1856? My
            line comes from David Coffman Jr. - then Robert J. - William Henry
            Coffman. My Robert J. has a brother, David Harmon, born Dec. 1827,
            Giles TN. but I do have him married to a Harriet Jones. I've just
            started to do research but have found three of Robert J. son's
            families that came into Okla. They are William, David, and Benjamin
            J. My William married Mary Frances Corum, and is buried in Stephens
            Co. Okla. I have some information on this group if anyone is
            interested, would be glad to share.

            Anyways, can this Harriet Jones be a mistake or is this a 1st, 2nd
            wife of David Harmon Coffman. Or is this a different David?

            <tatonka4204@...> wrote:

            > David Harmon Coffman was my 5th great grandfather his wife was
            > Elizabeth Ann Hurley
            > Two of there daughter were my 4th great grandmotheres they were.
            > Elizabeth Coffman - John Legg
            >
            > Nancy Coffman - William Legg
            >
            > If you are kin two either of my 4th great grandmotheres then you
            > will want to check out my Leggfamilyhistory group
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Leggfamilyhistory/
            > There are a few pictures of the Legg's there.
            >
            > I do have some information on the Coffman's it is on my Family
            tree
            > maker site
            > Ancestors of Timothy A. Bear
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CoffmanFamilyHistory/post
            >
            > I will be posting what info. annd documents that I have as time
            > permits.
            > Any information would be deeply appreciated.
            > Thanks,
            > Tim Bear

          • Tim Bear
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 5, 2007
              Hi,
              I think that your David Coffman is the same as mine. But I don't
              have the wife that you mentioned. It is possible that there was more
              wifes than I am aware of. Hopefully someone on the group will see
              your query and help if they know anything.
              You can check out my online tree at
              Ancestors of Timothy A. Bear
              http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=bear4204
              This tree is up to date as I just put it up last month.
              Look at the links section, there are some very good sites listed
              there.
              I hope this has help a little. Sorry I don't know for shure.
              Thanks,
              Tim Bear

              --- In CoffmanFamilyHistory@yahoogroups.com, "paperandfire902"
              <paperandfire902@...> wrote:

              > Hi, I am new to the discussion board, so I'm not sure on where to
              > post. With your David Coffman I am wondering if this is the same
              > David that I have listed as married to Harriet Jones, abt. 1856?
              My
              > line comes from David Coffman Jr. - then Robert J. - William Henry
              > Coffman. My Robert J. has a brother, David Harmon, born Dec. 1827,
              > Giles TN. but I do have him married to a Harriet Jones. I've just
              > started to do research but have found three of Robert J. son's
              > families that came into Okla. They are William, David, and
              Benjamin
              > J. My William married Mary Frances Corum, and is buried in
              Stephens
              > Co. Okla. I have some information on this group if anyone is
              > interested, would be glad to share.
              >
              > Anyways, can this Harriet Jones be a mistake or is this a 1st, 2nd
              > wife of David Harmon Coffman. Or is this a different David?
              >

              > --- In CoffmanFamilyHistory@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Bear"
              > <tatonka4204@> wrote:
              > >
              > > David Harmon Coffman was my 5th great grandfather his wife was
              > > Elizabeth Ann Hurley
              > > Two of there daughter were my 4th great grandmotheres they were.
              > > Elizabeth Coffman - John Legg
              > >
              > > Nancy Coffman - William Legg
              > >
              > > If you are kin two either of my 4th great grandmotheres then you
              > > will want to check out my Leggfamilyhistory group
              > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Leggfamilyhistory/
              > > There are a few pictures of the Legg's there.
              > >
              > > I do have some information on the Coffman's it is on my Family
              > tree
              > > maker site
              > > Ancestors of Timothy A. Bear
              > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CoffmanFamilyHistory/post
              > >
              > > I will be posting what info. annd documents that I have as time
              > > permits.
              > > Any information would be deeply appreciated.
              > > Thanks,
              > > Tim Bear

            • joyce moore
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
                I am wondering about the Robert J. Coffman and the fact that they were in Giles Co., Tenn. My Lorenzo Dow Coffman was born in Giles Co., Tenn in 1813 or 1819, can't remember at the moment, and was in Miss. in 1840. He was living with a Robert Coffman, wife Elizabeth, but I think he was too old to be his son. I think this Robert later moved to Arkansas, but Dow Coffman moved to Texas with his wife's family, the Waldrips. I know Lovell Coffman was in Giles Co,Tennessee and later was in Texas. You can always pretty much tell what family the Coffmans belong to by the names by Lorenzo Dow was named for that preacher Lorenzo Dow as were many people of the era. It has sure complicated things for his descendants.

                Joyce Moore

                <tatonka4204@ ...> wrote:

                > David Harmon Coffman was my 5th great grandfather his wife was
                > Elizabeth Ann Hurley
                > Two of there daughter were my 4th great grandmotheres they were.
                > Elizabeth Coffman - John Legg
                >
                > Nancy Coffman - William Legg
                >
                > If you are kin two either of my 4th great grandmotheres then you
                > will want to check out my Leggfamilyhistory group
                > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Leggfamily history/
                > There are a few pictures of the Legg's there.
                >
                > I do have some information on the Coffman's it is on my Family
                tree
                > maker site
                > Ancestors of Timothy A. Bear
                > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/CoffmanFam ilyHistory/ post
                >
                > I will be posting what info. annd documents that I have as time
                > permits.
                > Any information would be deeply appreciated.
                > Thanks,
                > Tim Bear

              • coffmanelaine
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
                  <paperandfire902@...> wrote:

                  > Hi, I am new to the discussion board, so I'm not sure on where to
                  > post. With your David Coffman I am wondering if this is the same
                  > David that I have listed as married to Harriet Jones, abt. 1856? My
                  > line comes from David Coffman Jr. - then Robert J. - William Henry
                  > Coffman. My Robert J. has a brother, David Harmon, born Dec. 1827,
                  > Giles TN. but I do have him married to a Harriet Jones. I've just
                  > started to do research but have found three of Robert J. son's
                  > families that came into Okla. They are William, David, and Benjamin
                  > J. My William married Mary Frances Corum, and is buried in Stephens
                  > Co. Okla. I have some information on this group if anyone is
                  > interested, would be glad to share.
                  >
                  > Anyways, can this Harriet Jones be a mistake or is this a 1st, 2nd
                  > wife of David Harmon Coffman. Or is this a different David?
                  >

                  > --- In CoffmanFamilyHistory@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Bear"
                  > <tatonka4204@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > David Harmon Coffman was my 5th great grandfather his wife was
                  > > Elizabeth Ann Hurley
                  > > Two of there daughter were my 4th great grandmotheres they were.
                  > > Elizabeth Coffman - John Legg
                  > >
                  > > Nancy Coffman - William Legg
                  > >
                  > > If you are kin two either of my 4th great grandmotheres then you
                  > > will want to check out my Leggfamilyhistory group
                  > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Leggfamilyhistory/
                  > > There are a few pictures of the Legg's there.
                  > >
                  > > I do have some information on the Coffman's it is on my Family
                  > tree
                  > > maker site
                  > > Ancestors of Timothy A. Bear
                  > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CoffmanFamilyHistory/post
                  > >
                  > > I will be posting what info. annd documents that I have as time
                  > > permits.
                  > > Any information would be deeply appreciated.
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Tim Bear

                  My husband, Wesley Surber Coffman, is also descended from David Harmon
                  Coffman, Sr. through David Harmon Coffman, Jr., then Robert J.
                  Coffman, and George Wesley Coffman who grew up in Giles County, TN,
                  went to Oklahoma as a teacher. I remember seeing the name Harriet
                  Jones somewhere in my records and will try to find it.
                • Mary A. Old
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 28, 2007
                    Can you update this family group chart for me?

                    Thanks, Mary

                    <tatonka4204@ ...> wrote:

                    > David Harmon Coffman was my 5th great grandfather his wife was
                    > Elizabeth Ann Hurley
                    > Two of there daughter were my 4th great grandmotheres they were.
                    > Elizabeth Coffman - John Legg
                    >
                    > Nancy Coffman - William Legg
                    >
                    > If you are kin two either of my 4th great grandmotheres then you
                    > will want to check out my Leggfamilyhistory group
                    > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Leggfamily history/
                    > There are a few pictures of the Legg's there.
                    >
                    > I do have some information on the Coffman's it is on my Family
                    tree
                    > maker site
                    > Ancestors of Timothy A. Bear
                    > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/CoffmanFam ilyHistory/ post
                    >
                    > I will be posting what info. annd documents that I have as time
                    > permits.
                    > Any information would be deeply appreciated.
                    > Thanks,
                    > Tim Bear

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  • George Dyer
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 25, 2011

                      Hello,

                      I, too, have hit a brick wall with my Coffman ancestors.

                      I have traced my Coffmans to MO and probably KY:  Betty J Coffman (m mother, 1924 OR-2011 OR), Grover C Coffman (1892 MO-1956 OR), Thomas P Coffman (1870 MO -1942 OR), Preston M Coffman (1830 KY-1902 MO).

                      Less sure:  William Coffman (1794 KY-a 1830 AR), Daniel Coffman (1765  VA-1811), John Coffman (1730 VA-a 1781).

                      I had my mtDNA tested.  Are there sites for Coffman mtDNA?  Is this a line that others are following?

                      Thank you,

                      George Dyer, family historian

                      Armbruster, Coffman, Duncan, Dyer, Holland, McEldowney, Ritner, Shiel, Van Orden

                    • wkauffman
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 26, 2011
                        The Kauffman surname project at FamilyTreeDNA provides a mtDNA section but we are not doing much with it. The problem with mtDNA research is that one has to hop between various surname projects to follow a line back through time. Even if one gets a full mtDNA genome sequenced a perfect match may not represent a common ancestor within a genealogically relevant time frame.

                        --- In CoffmanFamilyHistory@yahoogroups.com, "George Dyer" <gcdyer@...> wrote:

                        > Hello,
                        >

                        > I had my mtDNA tested. Are there sites for Coffman mtDNA? Is this a line
                        > that others are following?
                        >

                        > Thank you,
                        >

                        > George Dyer, family historian
                        >
                        > Armbruster, Coffman, Duncan, Dyer, Holland, McEldowney, Ritner, Shiel, Van
                        > Orden

                      • glcovington
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 23, 2011
                          I also descend from David Harmon Sr., then David Harmon Jr., then Robert J., then John Lewis, the Rivers Malone, then William John, and me. I have pictures and documents and am deeply involved currently in pursuing this branch of the family. I am taking a trip to Pulaski, TN to try and locate the old homestead of Robert J. Coffman and James Shelton Coffman (brothers).
                          Gina
                        • Sonya Williams
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 24, 2011
                            Hi
                             I am Sonya Williams a decendant of David Harmon Coffman   My father is Donald Gilford Coffman, son of Oscar Larimore Coffman.  We live in Lawrenceburg ,Tn right next to Pulaski Tn.  If you do visit Pulaski, you should call me.

                            Sonya Williams
                            sonnykaye@...

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 24, 2011
                              My late husband decends from David Harmon Sr.  I have All of these in my data base except William John  I would like very much to share info on this line.  My data is available on rootsweb at  http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=maold  I did not have Rivers middle name.  Hope we can share.  Mary in BC Canada

                              On 23/07/2011 6:33 PM, glcovington wrote:

                              I also descend from David Harmon Sr., then David Harmon Jr., then Robert J., then John Lewis, the Rivers Malone, then William John, and me. I have pictures and documents and am deeply involved currently in pursuing this branch of the family. I am taking a trip to Pulaski, TN to try and locate the old homestead of Robert J. Coffman and James Shelton Coffman (brothers).
                              Gina

                            • virginia thomas
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 25, 2011
                                I got your E mail, I am descendant of Isaac Coffman, Annie French, Than Isaac Coffman and Mary harbour, My Great Grandfather  was Isaac Coffman who married Elizabeth Lynn.   These settled in Hopkins County Kentucky . Issac and Annie  came to Hopkins County and died there.   They came to hopkins county kentucky around1780-1790.  If  I can help in anyway email me.    Virginia Coffman Thomas