How to set up high speed Drivewire4

  • joelavcoco
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2011
      I'd like to get my Drivewire working at a higher speed than 115K. I'm using an S3, and I seem to remember that it maybe had stability problems at some of the higher speeds. Is 230K reliable? How about 460? I've tried setting the baud rate override in the Drivewire GUI, but it complains that I've specified an invalid TCP port number. I have simply left that field (and a lot of others) blank. Bah. So I would like to specify a baud rate in the config.xml file, but I can't find documentation for the syntax for the baud rate override setting.

      Once I get this all set up, I plan to modify Tim Kintzle's old View 4.4 to take advantage of some of CoCo3FPGA's new graphics features.

      JCE
    • Aaron Wolfe
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2011
        On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 2:16 AM, joelavcoco <jcewy@...> wrote:

        > I'd like to get my Drivewire working at a higher speed than 115K. I'm using an S3, and I seem to remember that it maybe had stability problems at some of the higher speeds. Is 230K reliable? How about 460? I've tried setting the baud rate override in the Drivewire GUI, but it complains that I've specified an invalid TCP port number. I have simply left that field (and a lot of others) blank. Bah. So I would like to specify a baud rate in the config.xml file, but I can't find documentation for the syntax for the baud rate override setting.
        >
        > Once I get this all set up, I plan to modify Tim Kintzle's old View 4.4 to take advantage of some of CoCo3FPGA's new graphics features.
        >
        > JCE

        either put any valid tcp port in the tcp port fields (and number 1-65535) or put

        <RateOverride>460800</RateOverride>

        in an instance section of config.xml

        230k and 460k both work fine if your serial hardware supports it.
        some people find only 230k is reliable.
      • Gary_L_Becker
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2011
          I just uploaded a config file to the files area that has the baud rate set to 460K. As Aaron mentioned, the serial port you are using on the computer side has to be able to run at the desired speed. None of the internal serial ports on my machines will run faster than 115K. On my main machine, I have a multiple port serial card that can run at 460K. There are several USB based serial ports that can keep up with that speed also. The fastest that the serial ports on the S3 and DE1 boards will run is 460K. At least that is as fast as I have been able to get them to run. I looked up the specification on the RS232 level converters used on the boards and they say 230K is as fast as they can go. So maybe some peoples boards may not run any faster than that.

          Glad to see someone working on some software for the new graphics modes. If you need any help, you can email me directly. I will be out of town this weekend, but will have some access to the internet.

          Gary
          gary_L_becker@...

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 6, 2011
            Thanks Gary and Aaron.

            I couldn't get it to work above 115K, but I suspect the serial port in my little Compaq Armada PIII sub-notebook won't go that fast.

            JCE

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 7, 2011
              Yes, many built in serial ports will not exceed 115k.  You may find that a pIII will do just fine at 230 or 460k with a cheap usb-serial adapter, however.