CoCo3FPGA using an actual 6809 on the 200K gate Digilent board

  • carlos
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2010
      Will the CoCo3FPGA fit on a 200K spartan3 if an actual 6809 processor is used?

      Carlos
    • John Kent
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 16, 2010
        Hi Carlos,

        Just to answer your question, if no one has got back to you, from my
        recollection Gary's CoCo3 used about 2/3 rd of the XC3S1000 which is
        used on the 1000K Gate version of the Digilent spartan 3 starter board.
        My System09 project that I wrote the 6809 core for just fits into a
        XC3S200 which is used on the 200K gate version of the board, and that
        includes VDU, UART, keyboard interface and so on, so based on that,
        putting the 6809 CPU externally I don't think will save enough FPGA
        logic to allow you to fit the video logic etc part of the CoCo3 in the
        200K gate FPGA. You also have 5V to 3.3V logic level conversion to worry
        about. The System09 is based on the SWTPc 6809 that dates back to the
        1970s so if you are looking for a basic 6809 design, that will fit on
        the 200K gate board you could use that. System09 can run the old Flex9
        operating system. If you are looking to run CoCo software then you need
        the 1000K gate version of the board I'm afraid.

        John.

        --
        http://www.johnkent.com.au
        http://members.optusnet.com.au/jekent
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 17, 2010
          John,

          I appreciate the response. It helps me decide what direction to take.

          Thank You,

          Carlos