Lens cap for Asahiflex H2

  • Gene Poon
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2006
      As background: the Asahiflex H2 and Penta Asahiflex H2 are
      probably the rarest among the regular production M42 Pentax
      cameras. They were early production S2/H2 cameras that were
      identical to the stock Asahi Pentax S2 and Honeywell Pentax H2,
      but with the names Asahiflex and Penta Asahiflex on the prism
      nameplate, due to trademark conflicts in certain countries
      involving the name "Pentax." Those conflicts were soon
      resolved, resulting in the cameras being produced for only a
      short time.

      Does anyone know: when these Asahiflex H2 and Penta Asahiflex H2
      cameras were sold new with their standard 55mm Auto-Takumar
      lens, what name did the lens cap have on it? From that era the
      other Pentax lenscaps could say "Asahi Pentax" or "Honeywell
      Pentax" (in the USA) or just plain "Pentax." But if there were
      a trademark conflict, they couldn't have done that. Changing
      the name on the lenscap would have been more difficult than
      changing the engraving on the pentaprism nameplate; a different
      die for the stamping of the cap would have been needed.

      My own Asahiflex H2 came without lens. The stock lens is
      commonly found, but mine don't have their original caps, either.

      Does anyone have knowledge or documentation?

      THANKS,

      Gene Poon
    • Ted White
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 28, 2006
        Gene: Wish I could help. My first two were an H1a and an H3v.

        Ted