Looking for Newby Mentor

  • Sandy
    Message 1 of 3 , May 9, 2007
      I'm a newby climber looking for someone to take me under their wing!
      I'm a full-time grad student, with limited funds, and also new to the
      ABQ area. I've climbed once last Spring and loved it! I don't have any
      equipment, but can rent some through the university. I would prefer to
      do outdoor climbing as opposed to indoor.

      If anybody has the patience to mentor me I'd really appreciate it!
      Thank you and look forward to meeting y'all!

      ~ Sandy
      http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/SandysAdventureFitness/
      http://www.myspace.com/sandynutritionguru
    • Tiffany Renea Hayes
      Message 2 of 3 , May 9, 2007
        Hey Sandy,

        This doesn't really help you at the moment, but when the
        fall semester starts, there's the UNM mountaineering club.
        It's $30 for a semester, which gets you a discount at the
        climbing gym (only $100 dollars for a semester membership
        at the gym), and they have gear for you to rent and use,
        and they also will teach you how to use all of the gear.
        We do sport climbing, trad climbing, and people have began
        teaching mountaineering and other kinds of trips. the club
        reimburses gas for the club trips, and they try to do a
        big trip once a semester that is completely reimbursed.
        They have a website http://www.unm.edu/~mtnclub/ , and it
        tells you how to get on the listserv, which is a great way
        to meet people too. Hope this is helpful and good luck!

        Tiffany

        Message 3 of 3 , May 10, 2007
          Thanks Tiffany for the heads up. I've actually just signed up with the
          UNM Mountaineering club a few weeks back, but unfortunately since the
          sememster is wrapping up, they don't plan on having any more formal
          climbing activities going on during the summer months, which is when I
          really have some time to commit to learning climbing. So, for right
          now, I'm still back to square one, except I do have access to
          inexpensive equipment rental through them.

          Still looking for a summer climbing mentor.

          Thanks for any help! ;-)

          ~ Sandy

          --- In ClimbNM@yahoogroups.com, "Tiffany Renea Hayes" <thayes77@...>