Coming to visit

  • zguy12@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 19, 2009
      Hello,

      We are planning to visit the area next week. After looking at the weather forecast (mid 60's), I was thinking of climbing outside! I would like to get some area suggestions. We are staying downtown, something good for the family. Thank you all in advance, and we all look forward to visit the area.

      Steve
      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
    • g_y_not.rm
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 20, 2009

        Hey Steve,

        You didn't mention what kind of climbing you're looking for some I' ll try to touch as many areas in a quick reply.

        U-Mound (bouldering ONLY) is located on the east end of town. Its in the foothills of the Sandias at the end of Copper (some parking).  The approach is an easy 15-20 min hike. Bring tape if you're not used to sharp granite.  http://www.cs.unm.edu/~moret/u-mound.html

        Big Block is about a 20 minute drive to the east on I-40. Small limbing area with some bouldering (traverse) a few top rope setups and sport climbs. http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/North_America/United_States/New_Mexico/Albuquerque_Area/Big_Block/

        To get to Palomas Peak you'll have to drive to the east side of the Sandias. I've never been out there, but this mainly trad cragg isn't too far. http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/North_America/United_States/New_Mexico/Albuquerque_Area/Palomas_Peak/

        Going south on I-25 for about an hour will get you to the town of Soccoro. Just west of town is the Box Canyon. I like this area for spring and fall; it gets pretty hot in the summer. The easiest approach you'll ever see. Parking is at the south end of the canyon, and you walk to the north into the canyon to find routes. Its got some bouldering and a variety of sport routes. http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/North_America/United_States/New_Mexico/Central_New_Mexico/Box_Canyon/

        Enchanted Tower, near Datil, is further to the west (about another 2 hours) of Box Canyon. You do have to cross private property to acces this area. Most folks make this a muliti day trip. There's camping nearby (no water/services) and a bit futher in is a state or county park that'll have tables and toilets.Nice climbing area if you've got the time. http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/North_America/United_States/New_Mexico/Central_New_Mexico/The_Enchanted_Tower/

        There are many other climbing areas to the north, but since its still kinda winter I don't know how accessible they'd be right now.

        Good luck

        Tony

        --- In ClimbNM@yahoogroups.com, zguy12@... wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > We are planning to visit the area next week. After looking at the weather forecast (mid 60's), I was thinking of climbing outside! I would like to get some area suggestions. We are staying downtown, something good for the family. Thank you all in advance, and we all look forward to visit the area.
        >
        > Steve
        > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

      • samson1375
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 20, 2009
          --U-mound up on copper and tramway is a great place but if your not
          used to the bullet proof granite then big block of the ranger station
          on south-14
          - In ClimbNM@yahoogroups.com, zguy12@... wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > We are planning to visit the area next week. After looking at the
          weather forecast (mid 60's), I was thinking of climbing outside! I
          would like to get some area suggestions. We are staying downtown,
          something good for the family. Thank you all in advance, and we all
          look forward to visit the area.

          > Steve
          > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        • Socorro Bouldering
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 19, 2009
            >Parking is at the south end of the canyon, and you walk to the north into the canyon to find routes. Its got some >bouldering and a variety of sport routes. http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/North_America/United_States/New_Mexico/Central_New_Mexico/Box_Canyon/

            BTW *lots* more bouldering and routes to the South on the same road:
            http://infohost.nmt.edu/~bob/boulder_guide/socorro_boulder_guide.html
          • zguy12@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 19, 2009
              Thank you all for the info. The family and I climbed Socorro and just loved it. We met up with a local and we climbed til we ran out of light!
              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T