Re: [CAD] Fwd: Public disclosure on NOAA's National Weather Service a nd global warmin g

  • npat1
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2006
      Mike, I think it might be better to use the revision below, which I worked on this morning.

      Pat

      =========

      Climate change impacts on hydrology of Upper Midwest, Career ends, Disclosure of agency

      Career ends:

      The office where I worked in Minnesota from 1979-2005 is called the National Weather Service (NWS) - North Central River Forecast Center (NCRFC). NCRFC is located in a southwest Twin Cities area suburb called Chanhassen. NCRFC was created in 1979, and has flood prediction responsibility for the rivers in the Upper Midwest.

      In 1979, I was the only person to make the move from the parent NWS river forecast center office in Kansas City, Missouri to the new office in Minnesota. Thus I had responsibility for training a brand new staff of hydrologists and meteorologists in river forecasting modeling and prediction techniques during the early years of NCRFC operations during the 1980s.

      I spent my entire career as a hydrologist for NWS (29 years from right out of college in 1976 to 2005). My primary tasks included preparation of the annual spring snowmelt flood outlooks for the Upper Midwest, ice and water supply, hydrologic modeling and flood prediction.

      After the NCRFC moved locally from Minneapolis, MN to Chanhassen during the mid 1990s, for the nation-wide implementation of NWS Doppler radars and NWS reorganization, and after my daughters had graduated from high school in St. Paul, MN, I moved from St. Paul to Chanhassen, MN so that I could bike and walk to work. Had I known a few years earlier, that I would be fired for my position on climate change and global warming in 2005, we (my wife came too) would not have moved here (Chanhassen, MN).

      I've had experience with snowmelt runoff and flood prediction for many rivers within the Upper Midwest, including rivers in the following states:

      Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, North Dakota, South Dakota, Missouri, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas,
      and Missouri.

      Climate Change Impacts on Hydrology of the Upper Midwest:

      Due a position which I took in Jan. 2000, and which I feel strongly about, that

      Climate change is already having an impact on the hydrology
      of the Upper Midwest and therefore should at least be considered
      in hydrologic modeling efforts and flood prediction,

      my career ended by being handed a "Decision to Remove" memorandum on July 15, 2005 by the acting NWS Central Region headquarters office director from Kansas City, Missouri; in the presence of my supervisor at NCRFC in Chanhassen, MN.

      Disclosure of a Government Agency:

      Federal employees say global warming no more than a "statistical fluke".

      Public disclosure on NOAA administrators and National Weather Service (NWS) directors, supervisors and employees, for seriously downplaying global warming.

      A retired teacher from Texas said recently that NWS people told him that global warming was nothing more than "a statistical fluke"

      In a globalwarming Yahoo Group, Mr. Ross Thomas,
      a retired teacher and businessman from Texas, wrote:

      "Your conclusions were the exact opposite of what I got when I talked to your NWS colleagues. In conversations they would give me the current line from their powers that be, ... Then they would look over their shoulder to see who was nearby and then say they didn't believe that GW was anything more than a statistical fluke."

      By "powers that be", I believe that Mr. Thomas meant the NWS field office supervisors (several hundred of them in offices within the U.S.), and NWS regional office directors (several dozen), NWS directors in headquarters (a couple) and NOAA administrators (several), all presently answering to political appointees in the Department of Commerce, the vice president and the president.

      I replied to Mr. Thomas that NWS staff have been telling the public about that same thing (that global warming is no more than a "statistical fluke") since even before President G.W. Bush took office in Jan. 2001, and that as far as I know now, the public is still being told that about global warming by NWS managers and employees.

      Also see:

      http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/patneuman2000/my_photos

      Pat Neuman
      Chanhassen, MN

      ===============

      -- "Mike Neuman" <mtneuman@...> wrote:
      Since Pat made this public disclosure (PD) on our ClimateArchives, we
      could all help spread the news by forwarded it to other media sources.

      I'm starting this out by forwarding a copy of the Pat's PD to my two
      local newspapers: the Wisconsin State Journal and The Capital Times.

      Mike

      --- In ClimateArchive@yahoogroups.com, "npat1" <npat1@...> wrote:

      Public disclosure on NOAA's National Weather Service (NWS) and global
      warming

      Retired teacher from Texas says NWS called global warming no more than
      "a statistical fluke"

      Three NWS offices in Minnesota ... the NWS Forecast Office, the NWS
      North Central River Forecast Center (NCRFC) and the NWS National
      Hydrologic Operational Remote Sensing Center (NOHRSC) ... are located
      in the same building in a growing southwest Twin Cities area suburb
      called Chanhassen, MN. NWS NCRFC has pubic hydrologic - flood
      forecast responsibility for the Upper Midwest.

      Center (15 Nov 2003) called: ... Public disclosure - government agency
      says "no global warming problem", re-posted to a global warming yahoo
      group today,

      Mr. Ross Thomas, retired teacher living in Texas, wrote:

      > Your conclusions were the exact opposite of what I got
      > when I talked to your NWS colleagues. In conversations
      > they would give me the current line from their powers
      > that be,... Then they would look over their shoulder
      > to see who was nearby and then say they didn't believe
      > that GW was anything more than a statistical fluke.

      I replied that NWS staff have been telling the public about the same
      thing on global warming (GW) since before Jan. 2001, ... "they didn't
      believe that GW was anything more than a statistical fluke", and that
      NWS has continued to say things like that to the public (off the
      record) until the day I was fired from the NWS NCRFC in 2005.

      I spent my entire career as a hydrologist for NWS, 29 years, right out
      of college, preparing spring snowmelt flood outlooks for the Upper
      Midwest, hydrologic modeling and flood prediction. After the NWS
      office moved from Minneapolis to Chanhassen, MN for it's
      implementation of Doppler radars and reorganization, and after my
      daughters graduated from high school, I moved from St. Paul to
      Chanhassen, MN so I could bike and walk to work. Had I known earlier
      that I would be fired for my position on climate change and global
      warming, we (my wife came too) would not have moved here (Chanhassen, MN).

      Pat Neuman
      Chanhassen, MN

      --- End forwarded message ---

      Update - Plotted temperature averages (1888-2005: monthly, annual) for public view at: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/patneuman2000/my_photos

      Global warming, let's do something about it. Our heart should be where our home is.
      Yahoo! Groups Links