Public comments needed by May 7 on the U.S. CCSP Draft Guidelines

    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2004
      Reminders from David E. Wojick and the Union of Scientists(UCS)

      Your comments must be in by May 7th on the U.S. Climate Change Science
      Program (CCSP) Synthesis and Assessments Draft Guidelines.

      ** How To Submit Comments
      The comment period is open through May 7, 2004. Comments can be submitted
      electronically to <comments@...>.

      The CCSP instructions for formatting comments are available online at
      < http://www.climatescience.gov/Library/sap/sap-reviewinstructions.htm >

      If you have questions regarding the draft guidelines review process,
      please contact Sandy MacCracken of the CCSP at 1-202-419-3483 (voice).

      --
      Please let UCS know you if submit comments. You can do this by emailing
      Jason Mathers at ssi@....

      ---------
      Pat N

      From: P. Neuman self only <npat1@...>
      To: Paleontology_and_Climate@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: ClimateArchive@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 04:25:37 -0500
      Subject: SSI Notice: CCSP Synthesis and Assessments Draft Guidelines

        <

        =================================
        =================================
        =================================
        From: "David E. Wojick"
        Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 14:25:18 -0500
        Subject: My science milestone report is up

        Dear Listers, I have a new report just out--

        Wojick, David E., 2003. Uncertainties, Milestones and Issues in the CCSP.
        An Assessment of the Strategic Plan of the U.S. Climate Change Science
        Program. December 2003. Online go to <http://www.api.org> and search on
        ><wojick>.

        My basic point is that the CCSP Strategic Plan gives many time-estimated
        milestones for resolving key scientific uncertainties. These must be
        resolved before we can determine whether or not humans are in fact
        influencing climate. This definition of milestones is a major step
        forward, for which the CCSP is to be commended. What remains is to
        network the critical dependencies between these milestones, to find the
        critical path to resolution. Then do the research to work thru that path.

        Many of the key time estimates are "beyond 4 years," and some have to
        wait for others to be resolved along the critical path. Therefore, it
        will likely be a decade or more before the science is settled, one way or
        the other. This in itself is an important finding. Comments welcome.

        Critical path scheduling is a well known project management method. it
        should be applied to climate research.

        Happy New Year,

        David W.