Re: 15th Annual Transportation Research Conference

    Message 1 of 2 , May 5, 2004
      > What are some of the methods to reduce the
      > GHG emission? Are we talking about reduction
      > on a individual level, or as a metro area?

      Josh,

      I'm limited on time right now, so I just have this brief reply.
      On a personal level, I moved to Chanhassen following an office move by my
      employer several years ago. I walk or bike to work and most other places
      too. We have a car but it's usually parked in the garage. Many of my
      neighbors say they 'need' more garage space (cars, trucks, boats, ATVs,
      snowmobiles, riding lawn movers, other power tools and toys, etc... even
      three car garages aren't big enough for them anymore so they've moved to
      places that have four or five garage spaces, which probably become
      crowded with time too. More space encourages more products, which fills
      the space... 'demanding' more space... similar to more and bigger
      highways encourage development further out from the cities... eventually
      causing more congestion and more 'need' for more and bigger highways...
      similar to a feedback mechanism ... more CO2 emissions cause more global
      warming... causing more need for power (air conditioning), and other
      global warming feedbacks (too numerous to get into here).

      Pat

      PS Josh... I hope you don't mind that I Cced this to my ClimateArchive
      list. pat

      I think you have great points. What are some of the methods to reduce
      the GHG emission? Are we talking about reduction on a individual level,
      or as a metro area?

      In GHG reduction, are we talking about more fuel efficient cars, or
      shorter travel distances?

      When I had a job working as an outsourced copy/mail room person, most of
      the places I worked were downtown Mpls., and I lived at Franklin and
      Hennepin. I didi have a couple month stint in Edina, and except for pay
      day, I would bus out to the Centennial Lakes area. I got a much better
      job in the Univ Ave and Hwy 280 area that included me running errands for
      the non-profit and the bus was less workable. Then I started hunting for
      a job, and was trying to get something in south Mpls east of Minnehaha
      Ave. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford what I was looking for in that
      area and bought a house in
      the nice neighborhood of Powderhorn Park. So currently my commute is
      about 6-7 miles one way, about 15-20 minutes travel time, and no highway.
      I wonder what the commute times and distance are for other list members?

      Josh
      Minneapolis