15th Annual Transportation Research Conference

    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 2004
      Correction:
      added 'from aviation' ..3rd paragraph 1st sentence

      15th Annual Transportation Research Conference

      Today I was at the 15th Annual Transporation Research Conference, a forum
      for shared research in transportation in the Upper Midwest. The
      featured speaker was Professor John Heywood, Sun Jai Professor of
      Mechanical Engineering and Director of Sloan Automotive Lab,
      Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Prof. Heywood expressed an
      urgency that is needed to reduce fossil fuel emissions of greenhouse
      gases(GHGs), not a single method, but many. Mike Neuman's $$ to reduce
      vehicle miles traveled should be one of many methods used to reduce
      fossil fuel emissions of GHGs. My poster presentation today was on
      Mike's proposal, which I thought went very well.

      I am proposing that people get serious and greatly reduce their
      emissions of GHGs ASAP. Many jobs have already moved to the suburbs.
      That trend began several years ago and continues. The majority of the
      rush hour traffic in the Minneapolis-St.Paul area is suburb to suburb.
      Some commutes even go through downtown areas. This is not new, just more
      frequent now than ever before.

      There were not any presentations on how to reduce fossil fuel emissions
      of GHGs from aviation at the conference, not that I was aware of anyway.
      I read an email today that the Central Illinois Regional Airport will
      receive another $ 6.2 million from the federal government for the
      continued expansion of runways, adding up to $24.2 million according to
      Fran Strebing, deputy director of marketing at the airport. Last year,
      the federal funding allowed the airport to lengthen and widen its primary
      runaway, she said. [Tuesday, May 4, 2004 , By Scott Miller, Pantagraph
      Publishing Co., SPRINGFIELD IL.] - The harm being done to the atmosphere
      and climate is very severe, and increasing rapidly. Strong measured are
      needed ASAP to try to reduce the damage to the atmosphere and climate by
      aviation.

      Archive for public view at:

      Pat Neuman
      Chanhassen, MN

      Message 2 of 2 , May 5, 2004
        > What are some of the methods to reduce the
        > GHG emission? Are we talking about reduction
        > on a individual level, or as a metro area?

        Josh,

        I'm limited on time right now, so I just have this brief reply.
        On a personal level, I moved to Chanhassen following an office move by my
        employer several years ago. I walk or bike to work and most other places
        too. We have a car but it's usually parked in the garage. Many of my
        neighbors say they 'need' more garage space (cars, trucks, boats, ATVs,
        snowmobiles, riding lawn movers, other power tools and toys, etc... even
        three car garages aren't big enough for them anymore so they've moved to
        places that have four or five garage spaces, which probably become
        crowded with time too. More space encourages more products, which fills
        the space... 'demanding' more space... similar to more and bigger
        highways encourage development further out from the cities... eventually
        causing more congestion and more 'need' for more and bigger highways...
        similar to a feedback mechanism ... more CO2 emissions cause more global
        warming... causing more need for power (air conditioning), and other
        global warming feedbacks (too numerous to get into here).

        Pat

        PS Josh... I hope you don't mind that I Cced this to my ClimateArchive
        list. pat

        I think you have great points. What are some of the methods to reduce
        the GHG emission? Are we talking about reduction on a individual level,
        or as a metro area?

        In GHG reduction, are we talking about more fuel efficient cars, or
        shorter travel distances?

        When I had a job working as an outsourced copy/mail room person, most of
        the places I worked were downtown Mpls., and I lived at Franklin and
        Hennepin. I didi have a couple month stint in Edina, and except for pay
        day, I would bus out to the Centennial Lakes area. I got a much better
        job in the Univ Ave and Hwy 280 area that included me running errands for
        the non-profit and the bus was less workable. Then I started hunting for
        a job, and was trying to get something in south Mpls east of Minnehaha
        Ave. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford what I was looking for in that
        area and bought a house in
        the nice neighborhood of Powderhorn Park. So currently my commute is
        about 6-7 miles one way, about 15-20 minutes travel time, and no highway.
        I wonder what the commute times and distance are for other list members?

        Josh
        Minneapolis