Movement: Scientists to Defend Science

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2004
      Subj: Movement: Scientists to Defend Science
      Date: 3/19/2004 4:04:06 AM Pacific Standard Time

      Sir ��� Your News story "Scientists slam Bush record" (Nature 427, 663;
      2004) reports on the statement by 63 prominent scientists accusing the
      Bush administration of "misrepresenting and suppressing scientific
      knowledge". John Marburger, the administration's head of science and
      technology policy, quickly responded to the initiative from the Union of
      Concerned Scientists (UCS) by dismissing the move as political and simply
      the result of a few individuals having their "feathers ruffled",
      according to the New York Times.A similar response greeted Congressman
      Henry Waxman's like-minded report last August.The administration's
      response to the UCS initiative shows that nothing short of a broad-based
      condemnation will deter this administration's misuse of science.We are
      PhD students and postdocs at Stanford and the University of California,
      Berkeley, who are attempting to publicize the widespread alarm of
      scientists at the Bush administration's use of science
      (http://www.scienceinpolicy.org). We have examined a broad range of
      environmental issues and uncovered a pervasive pattern of misuse,
      suppression and contradiction of science, including that performed by the
      administration's own researchers.This is not about a few "ruffled
      feathers". At the time of writing, more than 1,000 scientists, from all
      50 US states and from around the world, have signed our statement
      decrying the Bush administration's misuse of science.Many of us are
      publicly funded researchers who feel that, if the current US
      administration is abusing science to justify its policies, we have a
      moral responsibility to speak out.We invite you to join in these efforts
      to restore scientific integrity to US policy-making.Kai M. A. Chan &
      Stephen Porder
      Department of Biological Sciences, Stanford University, Stanford,
      California 94305-5020, USA

      Paul A. T. Higgins
      151 Hilgard Hall, University of California, Berkeley, California
      94720-3110, USA

      Sasha B. Kramer
      Department of Biological Sciences, Stanford University, Stanford,
      California 94305-5020, USA

      Scientists can read and sign the statement at
      http://www.scienceinpolicy.org/
      Posted by
      Robert Karl Stonjek.

      STEPHAN PICKERING / Chofetz Chayim ben-Avraham
      The Dinosaur Fractals Project
      2333 Portola Drive # 4
      Santa Cruz, California 95062-4250 USA
      stephanpickering@...