Who is behind climate change deniers? By PAUL WALSH, Star Tribune

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2008
      WCCO meteorologist: Global warming 'extremism' uses 'squishy science'
      By PAUL WALSH, Star Tribune

      Last update: May 20, 2008 - 2:36 PM

      Longtime WCCO-TV meteorologist Mike Fairbourne says that the
      environmental movement is practicing "squishy science" when it ties
      human activity to global warming.

      Fairbourne's assessment Monday came on the same day that the Oregon
      Institute of Science and Medicine appeared before the National Press
      Club in Washington, D.C., and announced that it has the signatures
      of more than 31,000 scientists -- including Fairbourne's -- who
      agree that the human impact on global warming is overblown.

      Fairbourne, who joined WCCO in 1977 and has been a meteorologist for
      40 years, said that while there is no doubt that "there has been
      some warming" of global temperatures in recent years ... there is
      still a pretty big question mark" about how much of that warming is
      from human activity.

      "Do we need to be wise stewards [of the Earth]? Absolutely,"
      Fairbourne said. "Do we have to pin everything that happens on
      global warming? No, we need to have cooler heads."

      Fairbourne said he signed the institute's petition about five years
      ago. The group said that hundreds of meteorologists are among the
      signees.

      The petition says:

      "We urge the United States government to reject the global warming
      agreement that was written in Kyoto ... and any other similar
      proposals. The proposed limits on greenhouse gases would harm the
      environment, hinder the advance of science and technology, and
      damage the health and welfare of mankind.

      "There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of
      carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gases is causing or
      will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the
      Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate.

      "Moreover, there is substantial scientific evidence that increases
      in atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon
      the natural plant and animal environments of the Earth."

      The institute and its petition have been widely challenged over the
      years by numerous mainstream scientific voices. For example, the
      National Academy of Sciences has rejected the petition's
      contentions, saying that "greenhouse warming poses a potential
      threat sufficient to merit prompt responses. Investment in
      mitigation measures acts as insurance protection against the great
      uncertainties and the possibility of dramatic surprises."

      Fairbourne, a University of Utah graduate, said he has talked "to a
      number of meteorologists who have similar opinions" as his, adding
      that he is concerned about "the extremism that is attached to the
      global warming."

      He noted that in the 1970s "we were screaming about global cooling.
      It makes me nervous when we pin a few warm years on squishy science."

      As for the melting polar ice caps, Fairbourne said there are "other
      things going on -- ocean currents, changes in salinity -- other
      things not related to carbon dioxide going into the atmosphere."

      Asked why there has been so much momentum toward connecting human
      activity and global warming, Fairbourne said, "They're doing it for
      a lot of reasons; some may be scientific, but most of them are
      political. We need to be calm and look at scientific evidence and
      evaluate it."

      Paul Douglas, Dave Dahl

      Fairbourne is at odds with the American Meteorological Society's
      position. In a paper issued last year, the society said, "Strong
      observational evidence and results from modeling studies indicate
      that, at least over the last 50 years, human activities are a major
      contributor to climate change."

      Also, recent writings by Paul Douglas, Fairbourne's WCCO colleague
      for many years until Douglas was let go earlier this year, appear to
      have the two on opposite sides.

      In his daily Star Tribune weather report on March 16, Douglas
      scoffed at the notion that global warming is a hoax, as labeled
      recently by San Diego TV meteorologist and Weather Channel founder
      John Coleman. Douglas wrote that while he has "great respect for Mr.
      Coleman as a visionary and entrepreneur ... his business skills do
      not necessarily make him a good arbiter of climate science."

      Another Twin Cities meteorologist, Dave Dahl of KSTP-TV, Channel 5,
      shares a kindred global warming spirit with Fairbourne.

      Dahl, in his regular afternoon weather spots on KSTP Radio (AM
      1500), reads the record high and low for the day, illustrating
      extreme temperatures that are often many decades old. "More proof of
      global warming,'' radio host Joe Soucheray typically responds with
      sarcasm. Then Dahl chimes in with an affirming comment, such
      as "crazy" or "you got it, Joe."

      Meanwhile, the presidential campaign finds little difference among
      the three candidates on the "yes there is, no there isn't debate"
      regarding humans and global warming. All three agree that mandatory
      restrictions on greenhouse gases are needed. Also, an increasing
      number of businesses and religious leaders are acknowledging the
      need to address global warming.

[...]

      Paul Walsh • 612-673-4482

      http://www.startribune.com/nation/19095579.html?page=1&c=y

      --- In ClimateArchive@yahoogroups.com, "pat neuman" <npatnew@...>
      wrote:

      > Who is behind climate change deniers?
      >
      > Meteorologists are behind Joe Public climate change deniers. CBS
      > WCCO's Mike Fairborne claims that those behind global warming
      > 'extremism' use 'squishy science'! Fairbourne said he signed "The
      > Oregon Petition", along with "hundreds of meteorologists".
      >
      > http://www.startribune.com/nation/19095579.html?page=1&c=y
      >
      > The Oregon Petition conclusions: ... "There is no reason to limit
      > human production of CO2, CH4, and other minor greenhouse gases as
      has
      > been proposed" ...
      >
      > http://www.oism.org/pproject/s33p36.htm#Message5984
      >
      > Meteorologists rely on managers at their local NOAA National
      Weather
      > Service offices for advise and guidance.
      >
      > http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/who-is-behind-climate-change-
      deniers-20080801-3okn.html?skin=text-only