Who is behind climate change deniers?

  • pat neuman
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2008
      Who is behind climate change deniers?

      Meteorologists are behind Joe Public climate change deniers. CBS
      WCCO's Mike Fairborne claims that those behind global warming
      'extremism' use 'squishy science'! Fairbourne said he signed "The
      Oregon Petition", along with "hundreds of meteorologists".

      http://www.startribune.com/nation/19095579.html?page=1&c=y

      The Oregon Petition conclusions: ... "There is no reason to limit
      human production of CO2, CH4, and other minor greenhouse gases as has
      been proposed" ...

      http://www.oism.org/pproject/s33p36.htm#Message5984

      Meteorologists rely on managers at their local NOAA National Weather
      Service offices for advise and guidance.

      http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/who-is-behind-climate-change-deniers-20080801-3okn.html?skin=text-only

      --
      Pat N
      http://picasaweb.google.com/npatnew
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2008
        WCCO meteorologist: Global warming 'extremism' uses 'squishy science'
        By PAUL WALSH, Star Tribune

        Last update: May 20, 2008 - 2:36 PM

        Longtime WCCO-TV meteorologist Mike Fairbourne says that the
        environmental movement is practicing "squishy science" when it ties
        human activity to global warming.

        Fairbourne's assessment Monday came on the same day that the Oregon
        Institute of Science and Medicine appeared before the National Press
        Club in Washington, D.C., and announced that it has the signatures
        of more than 31,000 scientists -- including Fairbourne's -- who
        agree that the human impact on global warming is overblown.

        Fairbourne, who joined WCCO in 1977 and has been a meteorologist for
        40 years, said that while there is no doubt that "there has been
        some warming" of global temperatures in recent years ... there is
        still a pretty big question mark" about how much of that warming is
        from human activity.

        "Do we need to be wise stewards [of the Earth]? Absolutely,"
        Fairbourne said. "Do we have to pin everything that happens on
        global warming? No, we need to have cooler heads."

        Fairbourne said he signed the institute's petition about five years
        ago. The group said that hundreds of meteorologists are among the
        signees.

        The petition says:

        "We urge the United States government to reject the global warming
        agreement that was written in Kyoto ... and any other similar
        proposals. The proposed limits on greenhouse gases would harm the
        environment, hinder the advance of science and technology, and
        damage the health and welfare of mankind.

        "There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of
        carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gases is causing or
        will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the
        Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate.

        "Moreover, there is substantial scientific evidence that increases
        in atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon
        the natural plant and animal environments of the Earth."

        The institute and its petition have been widely challenged over the
        years by numerous mainstream scientific voices. For example, the
        National Academy of Sciences has rejected the petition's
        contentions, saying that "greenhouse warming poses a potential
        threat sufficient to merit prompt responses. Investment in
        mitigation measures acts as insurance protection against the great
        uncertainties and the possibility of dramatic surprises."

        Fairbourne, a University of Utah graduate, said he has talked "to a
        number of meteorologists who have similar opinions" as his, adding
        that he is concerned about "the extremism that is attached to the
        global warming."

        He noted that in the 1970s "we were screaming about global cooling.
        It makes me nervous when we pin a few warm years on squishy science."

        As for the melting polar ice caps, Fairbourne said there are "other
        things going on -- ocean currents, changes in salinity -- other
        things not related to carbon dioxide going into the atmosphere."

        Asked why there has been so much momentum toward connecting human
        activity and global warming, Fairbourne said, "They're doing it for
        a lot of reasons; some may be scientific, but most of them are
        political. We need to be calm and look at scientific evidence and
        evaluate it."

        Paul Douglas, Dave Dahl

        Fairbourne is at odds with the American Meteorological Society's
        position. In a paper issued last year, the society said, "Strong
        observational evidence and results from modeling studies indicate
        that, at least over the last 50 years, human activities are a major
        contributor to climate change."

        Also, recent writings by Paul Douglas, Fairbourne's WCCO colleague
        for many years until Douglas was let go earlier this year, appear to
        have the two on opposite sides.

        In his daily Star Tribune weather report on March 16, Douglas
        scoffed at the notion that global warming is a hoax, as labeled
        recently by San Diego TV meteorologist and Weather Channel founder
        John Coleman. Douglas wrote that while he has "great respect for Mr.
        Coleman as a visionary and entrepreneur ... his business skills do
        not necessarily make him a good arbiter of climate science."

        Another Twin Cities meteorologist, Dave Dahl of KSTP-TV, Channel 5,
        shares a kindred global warming spirit with Fairbourne.

        Dahl, in his regular afternoon weather spots on KSTP Radio (AM
        1500), reads the record high and low for the day, illustrating
        extreme temperatures that are often many decades old. "More proof of
        global warming,'' radio host Joe Soucheray typically responds with
        sarcasm. Then Dahl chimes in with an affirming comment, such
        as "crazy" or "you got it, Joe."

        Meanwhile, the presidential campaign finds little difference among
        the three candidates on the "yes there is, no there isn't debate"
        regarding humans and global warming. All three agree that mandatory
        restrictions on greenhouse gases are needed. Also, an increasing
        number of businesses and religious leaders are acknowledging the
        need to address global warming.

[...]

        Paul Walsh • 612-673-4482

        http://www.startribune.com/nation/19095579.html?page=1&c=y

        --- In ClimateArchive@yahoogroups.com, "pat neuman" <npatnew@...>