The UCS A to Z Guide to Political Interference in Science

  • pat neuman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2008
      The summary by the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) includes
      examples of political interference in science from 2001 to 2008.

      The link to the 2008 UCS summary is at the bottom of this article.

      Why did UCS begin with 2001?

      Political interference in climate change science by U.S. government
      agencies was happening in year 2000, before the Bush / Cheney
      administration, as shown in the 2000 Apr 24 Decision to Suspend by
      NOAA National Weather Service (NWS), see right side of page.

      Furthermore, USC ignored documentation of interference in 2000 by NOAA
      NWS, and ignored additional political interference from 2001-2005 by
      NOAA NWS, after being contacted by phone and email in January, 2006 as
      shown in an email to Michael Halpern which follows.

      ====
      From : "Pat N self only" <npat1@...>
      To : mhalpern@...

      Cc : npat1@..., bekwurzel@...

      Subject : Re: New Nobel Laureates Speak Out

      Date : Mon, Jan 09, 2006 12:12 PM

      Michael Halpern,

      In our discussion which we had this morning (your 11:30 EST call to my home)
      (and with participation from climate expert Brenda Ekwurzel, it became clear to
      me by the questions being asked of me that you had not reviewed or remembered
      any of the documentation which I emailed to you in Dec 2005 to current.

      In furthering discussion, I brought up my request for UCS to do a review/report
      on my efforts in attempting to do work on regional hydrologic climate change
      while I was at the NWS NCRFC, along with a review of my career accomplishments
      with the NWS from 1976 to 2005. Your reply was that UCS would not do as I
      requested. ...

      Attachments at:

      http://npat.newsvine.com/_news/2008/07/12/1660340-re-the-ucs-a-to-z-guide-to-political-interference-in-science

      --