Newsweek: Global Warming Is a Cau se of This Year’s Extreme Weather

  • pat neuman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1 10:00 AM
      This pretense has worn thin. The frequency of downpours and heat
      waves, as well as the power of hurricanes, has increased so
      dramatically that "100-year storms" are striking some areas once every
      15 years, and other once rare events keep returning like a bad penny.
      As a result, some climatologists now say global warming is to blame.
      Rising temperatures boost the probability of extreme weather, says Tom
      Karl, director of the National Climatic Data Center and lead author of
      a new report from the Bush administration's Climate Change Science
      Program; that can "lead to the type of events we are seeing in the
      Midwest." There, three weeks of downpours have caused rivers to treat
      their banks as no more than mild suggestions. Think of it this way: if
      once we experienced one Noachian downpour every 20 years, and now we
      suffer five, four are likely man-made.

      http://www.newsweek.com/id/143787

      --
      Pat N