State of the Climate ... January 24, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2008
      State of the Climate

      An assessment of climate change and policy in the United States
      January 24, 2008

      As the United States approaches the end of the first decade of the
      21st century, the most dangerous and difficult challenge of our time
      remains largely unaddressed. Global climate change continues unabated.
      The United States is the nation that is most responsible for the
      problem and most capable of contributing to the solution. Yet today,
      the United States stands virtually alone among developed nations in
      refusing to accept the need for decisive action.

      Consequently, we regret to report that the state of the nation's
      climate policy is poor, and the climate and the ecosystems that depend
      upon it are showing increasing signs of disruption. Global climate
      change now threatens not only the environment, but also our national
      security, our economic stability, and our public health and safety. We
      can no longer discuss the State of the Union without assessing the
      state of the nation's climate.

      The growing consequences of climate change have not appeared without
      warning. Physicist John Tyndall first identified the connection
      between the greenhouse effect and climate change in the 1860s. Swedish
      geochemist Svante Arrhenius predicted in 1896 that the burning of
      fossil fuels would result in global warming.

      During the last century, American scientists including David Keeling
      and Roger Revelle used actual measurements to confirm that carbon
      dioxide concentrations were rising. Keeling, Revelle and others began
      expressing their concerns about global warming to U.S. presidents of
      both parties in the 1960s, a half century ago.

      Now, after 20 years of assessing evidence in the most thorough
      scientific undertaking in history, the Intergovernmental Panel on
      Climate Change (IPCC) has concluded unequivocally that climate change
      is underway, that it is primarily the result of our consumption of
      fossil fuels, and that time is growing short if we are to avoid
      catastrophic consequences on a global scale. As United Nations
      Secretary General Ban Ki-moon and the chair of the IPCC, Rajendra
      Pachauri, both have said, this is our defining moment.

      In some areas, there have been positive developments during the past year.

      In quick succession last November and December, the IPCC released the
      last of its 2007 reports; representatives of 130 nations gathered at
      Bali to begin discussions on how the international community will
      collaborate after the Kyoto Protocol expires in 2012; and Congress
      passed a new energy bill with several provisions important to climate
      stabilization. Universities, nongovernmental organizations and
      research institutions have proposed hundreds of new policies and
      programs, including many the President can implement quickly to put
      America on the path to a clean and prosperous 21st century economy.

      To date, more than 780 of the nation's mayors representing more than
      77 million Americans have signed the Mayor's Climate Protection
      Agreement – a pledge to cut emissions by at least the amount required
      by the Kyoto Protocol. The majority of states and a growing number of
      the nation's counties have implemented or are developing climate
      action plans. Major corporations and investors recognize the financial
      liabilities of unabated climate change and are instituting new
      business models while supporting climate-friendly national policies.
      Today, climate change is emerging as an important issue in the 2008
      presidential campaign. Several of the candidates have issued detailed
      climate action platforms. Those who have not should.

      Our nation has the ideas and many of the tools necessary to create a
      highly efficient economy powered by low-carbon, renewable, domestic
      resources, able to provide this and future generations with security,
      opportunity and stewardship. We are ready for comprehensive, prompt
      and transformative climate action.

      These positive developments are overwhelmed, however, by the growth in
      greenhouse gas emissions. Our emissions in the United States are among
      the highest in the world, roughly twice the per capita emissions of
      Western Europe or Japan. Yet the people of Western Europe and Japan
      outscore the people of the United States on several key
      quality-of-life indicators, including life expectancy and infant
      mortality. Atmospheric concentrations of greenhouse gases are climbing
      rapidly to levels beyond those ever witnessed by human beings,
      destabilizing the climate in ways we cannot predict and may not be
      able to control. The early signs of climate change are appearing much
      more quickly than predicted. These signs are not restricted to the
      Arctic and Antarctic. We are seeing troubling patterns emerging in the
      United States that are consistent with the predicted impacts of
      climate change. For example:

      * Heavy downpours have increased, with less precipitation coming
      in light rains and more in very intense rains over much of the nation.

      * Atlantic hurricane activity has increased in recent decades,
      correlated with rising sea surface temperatures.

      * Wildfires have increased sharply in the West in association with
      increased drought, and scientific studies have shown that this
      increase is likely attributable to humaninduced warming. Recent
      research by scientists at the National Center for Atmospheric Research
      and the University of Colorado concludes that fires in the United
      States are releasing about 290 million metric tons of carbon dioxide
      each year, the equivalent of 4% to 6% of the nation's total emissions
      from burning fossil fuels.

      * Snow pack is diminishing as more precipitation occurs as rain
      and as earlier melt and runoff deplete water supplies for the late
      spring and summer months.

      * The timing of animal migrations and vegetation blooming has
      shifted to earlier in the spring.

      * Weeds including ragweed are thriving, with implications for
      human health, such as an increase in allergy suffering.

      * Insect pests are thriving, causing infestations of bark beetles
      and other bugs that are destroying large expanses of America's forests.

      Several critical developments must take place by the time the 44th
      President delivers the State of the Union address one year from now.

      1. We must recognize that global climate change is an issue that
      transcends politics and partisanship. No responsible leader of any
      political persuasion wants our nation to face a future of increasing
      heat waves, drought, fires, disease, natural disasters, coastal
      inundation, and species extinction. No responsible leader wishes to
      bequeath to our children a nation in peril, with far less security,
      fewer resources and a lower standard of living than we enjoy today.

      2. We must accept that while climate science is complex, our
      options are simple. We have three. We can reduce greenhouse gas
      emissions to keep the impacts of climate change from growing far
      worse. We can adapt to the changes already underway. Or we can suffer.
      Some suffering is inevitable and we must help those least able to
      cope. But the more quickly we reduce emissions today and prepare for
      the consequences of emissions from the past, the less suffering there
      will be. Those are the realities that we must acknowledge and act upon
      now.

      3. We must recognize that national climate policy and national
      energy policy are inextricably linked. The United States must make a
      deliberate and rapid transition away from carbon-based fuels whose
      emissions cannot be captured and stored, whether the fuels come from
      foreign or domestic sources. We must turn with unprecedented speed to
      a future of energy independence, resource efficiency, renewable energy
      technologies and low-carbon fuels. Public policy must support only
      those technologies and resources that simultaneously stabilize the
      climate and enhance national energy security.

      4. We must acknowledge that global climate change is more than an
      environmental issue. It affects national security by threatening
      instability in some of the most volatile regions of the world. It is
      an urgent economic issue in which the price of action is much less
      than the cost of inaction. It is a public health issue in which the
      spread of diseases in a warmer world can have devastating implications
      for our well-being and the costs of health care. It is a humanitarian
      issue, with the prospect of hundreds of millions of people being
      displaced by drought, hunger, and coastal flooding. It is a population
      and quality of life issue, challenging us to find ways for the world's
      people to achieve and sustain a decent standard of living. It is a
      moral issue, testing our character and our sense of responsibility to
      those least able to cope with climate change, as well as to future
      generations.

      5. We must recognize not only the existence and threat of climate
      change, but the enormous opportunities that we can capture by
      addressing it. The transformation to a clean economy can open paths of
      possibility to all Americans, including those the old economy left
      behind. As the world's leading innovator, we should become the world's
      leading source of the technologies and products that will help all
      people in all nations – including our own – achieve dignity, security
      and high quality of life, while dramatically reducing effects on climate.

      6. In addition to reducing greenhouse gas emissions, we must
      protect the Earth's natural ecological systems, particularly forests,
      which are the lungs of the planet and play a critical role in
      sequestering greenhouse gases. We have a global obligation to protect
      the world's tropical forests and to restore those that have been degraded.

      7. We must not wait for other nations to go first. Developed and
      developing nations both must hold greenhouse gas emissions in check.
      But the United States will have little influence on other nations
      until we lead by example with a credible, comprehensive domestic
      program. Our first step in constructive engagement with the
      international community must be concrete action at home.

      8. We must break the grip of special interests that are working to
      perpetuate the technologies, resources and practices that served us
      well in the past, but that now threaten our future. Special interests
      cannot be allowed to prevail over the public good. We must vastly
      increase support for research, development and deployment of clean
      energy technologies, and encourage the coal, oil and gas industries to
      invest in these technologies for their future, as well as the nation's.

      9. We must restore federal funding for Earth sciences and expand
      our research into the regional, local, social and economic impacts of
      climate change. The national Climate Change Science Program must
      produce the knowledge and deliver the information the American people
      need to mitigate, anticipate and adapt to the adverse impacts of
      global warming. We must engage the talents of our best scientists and
      engineers and restore respect for science in the federal government.

      10. We must redefine "clean" and think long-term. Each product and
      energy resource must be evaluated for climate impact over its entire
      life cycle. A fuel that emits little carbon when it generates energy,
      but that produces significant greenhouse gas emissions when it is
      mined, refined and transported, is not truly clean. A biofuel that
      reduces oil imports but destroys our soils is not sustainable.

      11. Finally, we must recognize that global climate change is the
      leadership issue of our time. Given the long lag time involved in
      reducing atmospheric concentrations of carbon, we cannot procrastinate
      any longer. This is indeed the defining moment for each of us as
      voters and consumers, for our generation, for our leaders, and for our
      world. We must not fail.

      It is our hope and expectation that when the next President of the
      United States reports on the state of the union, we will hear that our
      nation is firmly on the path to climate stability, to a new economy
      that has learned to prosper within the limits of the Earth's natural
      systems, to energy independence and security, and to renewed respect
      for the United States around the world.

      If this is our defining moment, then let us be known as a people of
      courage, morality, vision and goodwill – a people who gladly accept
      the responsibility of ensuring that the America of tomorrow is even
      better than the America of today. That commitment to the future is
      required of us if we wish to keep faith with those who founded our
      nation, with those who have sacrificed for it and with those around
      the world who look to the United States of America for hope.

      Note: This State of the Climate message was delivered to the White
      House on Jan. 24, 2008, in advance of President George W. Bush's final
      State of the Union address. It was prepared by the Presidential
      Climate Action Project (PCAP), an initiative at the University of
      Colorado Denver's Wirth Chair to create a 100-day climate action plan
      for the next President of the United States
      (www.climateactionproject.com). Signatures on this statement do not
      imply endorsement of the PCAP plan or its contents. Signatories are
      representing themselves, not the institutions with which they are
      affiliated.

      Ray C. Anderson
      Founder and Chairman of the Board
      Interface, Inc.

      Richard A. Anthes, Ph.D.
      President
      The University Corporation for Atmospheric Research
      President, American Meteorological Society (2007)

      Engin Ayaz
      Sustainability Researcher
      Arup

      Bill Baarsma, Ph.D.
      Mayor
      Tacoma, Washington

      D. James Baker, Ph.D.
      Former Administrator

      Kit Batten, Ph.D.
      Managing Director for Energy and Environmental Policy
      Center for American Progress Action Fund

      Laurens Lincoln Battis III

      Katheleen Beatty, Ph.D.
      Dean
      School of Public Affairs
      University of Colorado Denver

      William S. Becker
      Executive Director, Presidential Climate Action Project
      The Wirth Chair in Environmental and Community Development Policy
      School of Public Affairs, University of Colorado Denver

      Christopher Beem, Ph.D.
      Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin

      Chris Benson
      citizen

      Robert J. Berkebile, FAIA
      Principal
      BNIM Architects, Inc.

      Scott Bernstein
      President, Center for Neighborhood Technology
      Chairman, Surface Transportation Policy Partnership
      Partner, Center for Transit Oriented Development

      May Boeve
      National Co-Coordinator
      Step It Up

      Bill Bogaard, J.D.
      Mayor
      Pasadena, California

      Tom Boucher
      Founder, President & CEO
      NativeEnergy, Inc.

      Michael A. Bowman
      National Steering Committee Member
      25 X 25

      Gary Braasch
      Environmental Photographer, Braasch Photography
      Fellow & Board Member, International League of Conservation Photographers

      Donna Braden
      Chicago, Illinois

      April Bucksbaum
      Executive Director
      The Baum Foundation

      Joyce M. Budai, Ph.D.
      Senior Program Officer
      Great Lakes Colleges Association

      C. Shepherb Burton, Ph. D.
      Citizen

      Gillian Caldwell, J.D.
      Campaign Director
      1Sky

      Diane Carman
      Director of Communications, School of Public Affairs
      University of Colorado Denver

      Thomas R. Casten
      Chairman
      Recycled Energy Development

      William L. Chameides, Ph.D.
      Dean, Nicholas School of the Environment and Earth Sciences
      Duke University

      Eric Chivian, M.D.
      Director
      Center for Health and the Global Environment
      Harvard Medical School

      Aimée Christensen
      Principal
      Christensen Global Strategies

      Andy Cohen
      Mayor
      Menlo Park, California

      Noël R. Congdon
      President
      Congdon Family Fund

      Thomas E. Congdon
      Former Chief Executive
      St. Mary Land & Exploration Company

      Billy Connelly
      Marketing Director
      NativeEnergy, Inc.

      Debbie Cook, J.D.
      Mayor
      Huntington Beach, California

      David Cooperrider, Ph.D.
      Director of University Center for Business as an Agent of World Benefit
      Fairmount Minerals Professor
      Weatherhead School of Management, Case Western Reserve University

      Judy Corbett, M.S. Ecology
      Executive Director
      Local Government Commission

      Robert Costanza, Ph.D.
      Director, Gund Institute for Ecological Economics
      Gund Professor of Ecological Economics
      University of Vermont

      Ryan Costello
      Student at Ursinus College

      David Crockett
      CitiStates Group
      Founder, Chattanooga Institute for Sustainability

      Judith Curry, Ph.D.
      Chair, School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
      Georgia Institute of Technology

      Heidi Davison
      Mayor
      Athens, Georgia

      Jason Delso
      Citizen of Texas, USA, Earth

      Reid Detchon
      Executive Director
      Energy Future Coalition

      Dianne Dillon-Ridgley
      Chair
      Plains Justice

      Kevin Doran, J.D.
      Associate Director and Senior Fellow
      Center for Energy & Environmental Security
      University of Colorado Law School

      Nancy Eaton
      Sierra Club of Canada
      Kawarthas Representative

      James L. Elder
      Director
      The Campaign for Environmental Literacy

      Jane Elder
      Principal
      Jane Elder Strategies

      Nick Enge
      Co-Founder
      Lotus Live

      Paul R. Epstein, M.D., M.P.H.
      Associate Director, Center for Health and the Global Environment
      Harvard Medical School

      Christine Ervin
      Former President, U.S. Green Building Council
      Former Assistant Secretary for Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy,
      U.S. Department of Energy

      Theresa M. Estness
      Mayor
      Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

      Ned Farquhar
      Western Energy & Climate Advisor
      Natural Resources Defense Council
      Former Senior Advisor of Energy & Environment to Gov. Bill Richardson

      Ira Feldman
      President and Senior Counsel
      Greentrack Strategies

      Maureen Fiedler, SL, Ph.D.
      Coordinating Committee
      Loretto Earth Network

      Pliny Fisk, III
      Co-Director
      Center for Maximum Potential Building Systems

      John Fogerty, M.D., M.P.H.
      New Energy Economy

      Piper Foster
      Sopris Foundation

      Peter Fox-Penner
      Principal & Chairman of the Board
      The Brattle Group
      EN Partners Inc.

      Kevin C. Foy, J.D.
      Mayor
      Chapel Hill, North Carolina

      Lois Frankel, J.D.
      Mayor
      West Palm Beach, Florida

      Sandra L. Frankel
      Supervisor
      Town of Brighton
      Monroe County, New York

      Shirley Franklin
      Mayor
      Atlanta, Georgia

      Stuart Fraser
      Mayor
      Telluride, Colorado

      David Gazay

      Erik Gehring
      Roslindale, MA

      Andrew Geshwiler
      Franklin, TN

      Boyd Gibbons, J.D.
      Immediate Past President
      Johnson Foundation

      Dean Gilliland
      Ridgewood, NJ

      Alaine Ginocchio, J.D.
      Project Director, Center for Energy and Environmental Security (CEES)
      University of Colorado Law School

      Barry D. Gold, Sc.D.
      Marine Conservation Initiative Lead
      The Gordon & Betty Moore Foundation

      K.C. Golden
      Policy Director
      Climate Solutions

      Eban Goodstein, Ph.D.
      Director, Focus the Nation
      Professor of Economics, Lewis & Clark College

      Katey Gordon
      Community Relations Director
      Vermont Youth Conservation Corps

      Hector Griswold
      Hopewell, NJ

      Ralph Grossi
      President
      American Farmland Trust

      Rebecca Kneale Gould, Ph.D.
      Associate Professor of Religion and Environmental Studies
      Middlebury College

      Kathy Hadley
      Executive Director
      The National Center for Appropriate Technology

      Gary Hamm
      Physics teacher
      Germantown, Ohio

      Judie Hammerstad
      Mayor
      Lake Oswego, Oregon

      James Hanken, Ph.D.
      Alexander Agassiz Professor of Zoology
      Curator in Herpetology and Director, Museum of Comparative Zoology
      Harvard University

      Gary Hart, U.S. Senator (Ret.)
      Scholar in Residence
      School of Public Affairs
      University of Colorado Denver

      Susan Joy Hassol
      Director
      Climate Communication

      Sean M. Hawthorne
      Supporter of the Environment
      Voter

      Patrick H. Hays
      Mayor, North Little Rock, AR

      Denis Hayes, J.D.
      President & CEO
      Bullitt Foundation

      Randy Hayes
      Founder
      Rainforest Action Network

      Bracken Hendricks
      Senior Fellow
      Center for American Progress

      Peter D. Henig
      Managing Partner
      Greenhouse Capital Partners

      Clare Higgins
      Mayor
      Northampton, Massachusetts

      Elliot Hoffman
      Co-Founder/CEO
      New Voice of Business

      John P. Holdren, Ph.D.
      Director, The Woods Hole Research Center
      President, American Association for the Advancement of Science

      James C. Hornaday
      Mayor
      Homer, Alaska

      Stewart J. Hudson
      President
      Emily Hall Tremaine Foundation

      Professor Garry E. Hunt
      Managing Partner Elbury Enterprises & Visiting Professor University of
      California Riverside at Palm Desert
      Past Professor of Atmospheric Physics, Imperial College of Science,
      Technology & Medicine, UK

      Jonathan Isham, Ph.D.
      Luce Professor of International Environmental Economics
      Middlebury College

      Richard J. Iuli, Ph.D.
      Assistant Professor, Center for Graduate Programs, Master of Arts in
      Teaching
      Empire State College
      State University of New York

      Nancy Jackson
      Executive Director
      Climate & Energy Project

      Wes Jackson, Ph.D.
      President & Co-Founder
      The Land Institute

      Rhea Jezer, Ph.D.
      Senior Lecturer, Environmental Policy, Dept. of Environmental Studies
      Cazenovia College

      Joyce Jimerson
      Compost/Recycle Program Coordinator
      WSU Whatcom County, Washington

      Matt Johansen
      Active Environmentalist
      Father
      Bloomington, Minnesota

      Raymond Johnson, Ph.D.
      Chazy, New York

      Angela Jones
      concerned citizen
      North Carolina

      Van Jones, J.D.
      Board President & Co-Founder, Ella Baker Center
      Founding President, Green For All

      Gene Karpinski
      President
      League of Conservation Voters

      Olivia Katz
      Graduate
      Middlebury College

      Henry Kelly, Ph.D.
      President
      Federation of American Scientists

      Eliza F. Kent, Ph.D.
      Associate Professor of Religion
      Colgate University

      Basey Klopp
      Treehugger
      Hermosa Beach, California

      Darlene Kordonowy
      Mayor
      Bainbridge Island, Washington

      David Kowalski
      Step It Up Organizer
      Buffalo, New York

      Fred Krupp, J.D.
      President
      Environmental Defense

      Charles Kutscher, Ph.D.
      Center for Buildings and Thermal Systems
      National Renewable Energy Laboratory

      Neal Lane, Ph.D.
      The Malcolm Gillis University Professor
      Professor of Physics and Astronomy
      Rice University

      Scott W. Lang, J.D.
      Mayor
      New Bedford, Massachusetts

      John Larson
      Research Scientist
      Palo Alto, CA

      Chris Laszlo, Ph.D.
      Managing Partner
      Sustainable Value Partners, Inc.

      Keith Laughlin
      President
      Rails-to-Trails Conservancy

      Gary Lawrence
      Principal
      Global Leader for Sustainable Urban Development
      Arup

      L. Leonard
      Palo Alto, CA

      Ross Levin
      Student
      Future Voter
      Pennsylvania

      Elizabeth Leigh Lewis

      Caitlin Littlefield
      Student
      Middlebury College

      Beth Blissman, Co-Member; Mary Rhodes Buckler, SL; Libby Comeaux.
      Co-Member; Mary Ann Coyle, SL; Maureen Fiedler, SL; Gabriel Mary
      Hoare. SL; Maureen McCormack SL; Nancy Wittwer, SL.
      The Loretto Earth Network and Loretto Earth Network Coordinating Committee

      Thomas E. Lovejoy, Ph.D.
      President
      The H. John Heinz III Center for Science, Economics and Environment

      Ronald O. Loveridge, Ph.D.
      Mayor
      Riverside, California

      L. Hunter Lovins, Esq.
      President
      Natural Capitalism Solutions, Inc.

      Mindy S. Lubber, Esq.
      President
      Ceres

      Wangari Maathai
      Nobel Peace Prize Laureate (2004)
      Founder
      The Green Belt Movement

      Michael MacCracken, Ph.D.
      Chief Scientist for Climate Change Programs, Climate Institute
      President, International Association of Meteorology and Atmospheric
      Sciences

      Diane MacEachern
      Founder & CEO
      Big Green Purse

      Joanna Macy, Ph.D.
      Eco-Philosopher, Author

      Dannel P. Malloy, J.D.
      Mayor
      Stamford, Connecticut

      Patricia Jean Manion, SL, Ph.D.
      Member
      Loretto Community

      Linda Mason-Smith
      Andover, Massachusetts

      Edward Mazria, AIA
      Founder
      2030 Inc. / Architecture 2030

      John McBride
      Co-Founder
      Sopris Foundation

      James J. McCarthy, Ph.D.
      Professor of Biological Oceanography
      Harvard University
      President-elect, American Association for the Advancement of Science

      Sister Maureen McCormack, Ph.D.
      Loretto Earth Network Coordinating Committee
      The Interfaith Alliance of Colorado

      Kathleen A. McGinty, J.D.
      Secretary, Department of Environmental Protection
      State of Pennsylvania

      Bill McKibben
      Scholar in Residence in Environmental Studies
      Middlebury College

      Deborah McNamara
      National Outreach Coordinator
      Northwest Earth Institute

      Mike Mercer
      Director
      Northwest Earth Institute

      Becky Miller
      Mayor
      Carrollton, Texas

      Maryann Moise Derwin
      Mayor
      Portola Valley, California

      Carolyn Mone
      Our Earth Music

      Ben Moore
      Climate and Energy Project Manager
      Coastal Conservation League

      Susanne C. Moser, Ph.D.
      Institute for the Study of Society and Environment

      Ellen O. Moyer
      Mayor
      Annapolis, Maryland

      The Mullen Family
      Wendy E. Mullen, Ph.D. writer & college counselor
      Peter C. Mullen, M.S. Geophysics, software engineer
      Darcy Mullen, Middlebury College Student
      Cassandra Mullen, Bush High School Student, Seattle

      Scott Myers
      Mayor
      Dover, New Hampshire

      Doug Newman, Director
      National Energy Center for Sustainable Communities
      U.S. Affiliate – Global Energy Network

      Michael Neitzke, J.D.
      Mayor
      Greenfield, Wisconsin

      Steve Nicholas
      Director
      Seattle Office of Sustainability & Environment

      Michael Northrop
      Program Director for Sustainable Development
      Rockefeller Brothers Fund

      Michael J. O'Brien
      Mayor
      Warren, Ohio

      Eric A. Oches, Ph.D.
      Associate Professor of Geology
      Past Chair, Department of Environmental Science & Policy
      University of South Florida

      Michael Oppenheimer, Ph.D.
      Albert G. Milbank Professor of Geosciences and International Affairs
      Woodrow Wilson School, Princeton University

      David Orr, Ph.D.
      Paul Sears Distinguished Professor of Environmental Studies and Politics
      Oberlin College

      Matthew Petersen
      President & CEO
      Global Green USA

      Carolyn K. Peterson
      Mayor
      Ithaca, New York

      Kitty Piercy
      Mayor
      Eugene, Oregon

      Leonard Pietrafesa, Ph.D.
      Chair Emeritus, NOAA Science Advisory Board
      UCAR Board of Trustees
      Associate Dean and Professor
      Marine, Earth, & Atmospheric Sciences
      North Carolina State University

      Rick Piltz
      Director, Climate Science Watch
      Government Accountability Project

      J. Morgan Pitts
      Research Director
      Presidential Climate Action Project

      Donald L. Plusquellic
      Mayor
      Akron, Ohio

      John Podesta, J.D.
      President and Chief Executive Officer
      Center for American Progress Action Fund

      Carl Pope
      Executive Director
      Sierra Club

      Tom Potter
      Mayor
      Portland, Oregon

      John Powers
      President
      Alliance for Sustainable Colorado

      Rachael Lauren Prados
      Environmental Studies-Politics major (Whitman College)
      Campus Climate Challenge

      Carolyn Raffensperger, M.A., J.D.
      Executive Director
      Science and Environmental Health Network

      Clark J. Rapp
      Concerned Citizen
      Pagosa Springs, Colorado

      Robert V.S. Redick
      Novelist

      Laurette Reiff
      Project Coordinator, Presidential Climate Action Project
      The Wirth Chair in Environmental and Community Development Policy
      School of Public Affairs, University of Colorado Denver

      Ran Brynn Reiff
      Student
      New Vista High School

      Joel Rogers, Ph.D.
      Professor of Law, Political Science & Sociology
      Director, Center on Wisconsin Strategy
      University of Wisconsin Law School

      Kathleen Rogers, J.D.
      President
      Earth Day Network

      Joe Romm, Ph.D.
      Editor
      Climate Progress

      Carl Safina, Ph.D.
      President and Co-Founder
      Blue Ocean Institute

      Susan L. Sakmar, J.D., LL.M.
      USA Board of Directors, The Jane Goodall Institute
      Professor of Law (Adjunct), University of San Francisco

      Rob Sargent
      Energy Program Director
      Environment America

      David Sassoon
      Founder
      www.solveclimate.com

      Rev. Peter Sawtell, M.Div.
      Executive Director
      Eco-Justice Ministries

      Auden Schendler
      Executive Director, Community and Environmental Responsibility
      Aspen Skiing Company

      Andrew Hilz Scarpelli

      Rep. Claudine Schneider (R-RI, Ret.)
      President
      Solar Alliance

      Larry Schweiger
      President and CEO
      National Wildlife Federation

      Amy L. Seidl, Ph.D.
      Associate Director, LivingFuture Foundation
      Research Scholar, Middlebury College

      Roger and Susan Shamel
      Global Warming Education Network

      J. Marshall Shepherd, Ph.D.
      Associate Professor, Atmospheric Sciences Program
      Physical Meteorologist/Climatologist
      The University of Georgia Department of Geography

      Patricia Sinicropi, J.D.
      Legislative Counsel
      Water Environment Federation

      Craig P. Smith
      enviro, green home-builder, member Ethical Society Mid Rivers,
      father, brother, solar nut, biker, kayaker

      Kenzie L. Smith
      Mother of the future Commander in Chief:
      Cayden Edward Smith

      Ken Snyder
      President and CEO, PlaceMatters
      Chair, American Planning Association's Technology Division

      Richard C.J. Somerville, Ph.D.
      Distinguished Professor, Scripps Institution of Oceanography
      University of California, San Diego

      James Gustave Speth, J.D.
      Dean
      School of Forestry & Environmental Studies
      Yale University

      Vikki N. Spruill
      President and CEO
      The Ocean Conservancy

      Therese Stawowy
      16 Hillcrest Court
      San Anselmo, Ca.
      Comember, Loretto Community

      Brian U. Stratton
      Mayor
      Schenectady, New York

      Therese Stawowy
      Co-member, Loretto Community
      San Anselmo, California

      Tom Stoddard
      Co-Founder, VP & General Counsel
      NativeEnergy, Inc.

      Mark Stodola
      Mayor
      Little Rock Arkansas

      BJ Sutton
      Artist
      Minervois Pour la Paix
      France

      Terry Tamminen
      Cullman Senior Fellow and Climate Policy Director
      New America Foundation

      Betsy Taylor, M.P.A.
      President
      1Sky

      Robert S. Taylor, Ph.D.
      Biogeographer
      Ventura, CA

      Pamela Torliatt
      Mayor
      Petaluma, California

      Kevin Toukoumidis, AIA
      Founder
      dSpace Studio

      Kevin Trenberth, Sc.D.
      Head of Climate Analysis Section

      Richard H. Truly
      Vice-Admiral, United States Navy (Ret.)
      Former Administrator, NASA
      Former Director, National Renewable Energy Laboratory

      Heidi VanGenderen
      Senior Policy Advisor, Governor's Office of Policy and Initiatives
      State of Colorado

      Walter C. Vredeveld
      Private Citizen
      Scoutmaster - BSA

      Caleigh Waldman
      Student
      Middlebury College

      Karen Wayland, Ph.D.
      Legislative Director
      NRDC Action Fund

      Gerry Weiss
      Chair of the Select Board
      Amherst, Massachusetts

      Carol Werner
      Executive Director
      Environmental & Energy Study Institute

      Ben Wessel
      Organizer
      Middlebury College Sunday Night Group

      James W.C. White, Ph.D.
      Professor of Geological Sciences
      Professor of Environmental Studies
      Interim Director, Institute of Arctic and Alpine Research
      University of Colorado Boulder

      Bruce R. Williams
      Mayor
      Takoma Park, Maryland

      Jody Williams
      Nobel Peace Prize Laureate (1997)
      Campaign Ambassador
      International Campaign to Ban Landmines

      John F. Williams
      Senior Vice President, National Director - Sustainable Development
      HDR Engineering, Inc.

      Larry Winter, Ph.D.
      Deputy Director

      Maiken Winter, Ph.D.
      Visiting Fellow
      Laboratory of Ornithology

      Timothy E. Wirth, U.S. Sen. (Ret.)
      President
      United Nations Foundation

      Guy Wolf
      Co-Chair
      DownRiver Alliance

      Jeffery D. Wolfe, PE
      Chief Executive Officer
      groSolar

      Michelle Wyman
      Executive Director
      ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability

      Daphne Wysham
      Fellow
      Institute for Policy Studies

      Gary Yohe, Ph.D.
      Woodhouse/Sysco Professor of Economics & Professor of Economics
      Wesleyan University
      http://www.climateactionproject.com/soc.php