U.P. article on "Forests Could Benefit When Fall Color Comes Late"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2008
      Although I don't dispute that later Fall colors may be a result of
      increasing CO2, it's wrong to say that "Basically, this is a good-news
      story for our region's forests," as Karnosky said for the U.P.
      hardwoods, according to the article.

      Excerpt:Writing in the current issue of the journal Global Change
      Biology, Michigan Technological University Professor David F. Karnosky
      and colleagues from two continents present evidence that rising carbon
      dioxide levels in the atmosphere act directly to delay the usual
      autumn spectacle of changing colors and falling leaves in northern
      hardwood forests.

      "Basically, this is a good-news story for our region's forests," said
      Karnosky. "It suggests that they will become a bit more productive due
      to the extra carbon being taken up in the autumn, along with the
      increased photosynthesis throughout the growing season."

      http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Forests_Could_Benefit_When_Fall_Color_Comes_Late_999.html