An innovative proposal from Wisconsin for action on global warming

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2007
      ... meteorologists, hydrologists, climatologists and other professionals
      in media and government in the State of Minnesota are failing on this
      important issue of providing knowledge about global warming for the
      public. ...

      The excerpt above is from the Climate Concern Group (CCG) archives
      dated August 6, 2000 - but the content unfortunately hold true today.
      I think humanity has failed.

      The complete post made in Aug. 2000 follows.

      An innovative proposal from Wisconsin for action on global warming

      August 6,2000 at CCG

      Working as a hydrologist in the Upper Midwest states, my job is to
      prepare spring snowmelt flood outlooks. The hydrologic outlooks are used
      by the public and government workers (local, state, federal) to make
      flood preparations.

      Falling Great Lakes water levels, more frequent and severe droughts,
      more frequent and severe flash floods, deleted ground water aquifers, low
      flows in rivers containing more concentrated pollutants, milder winters
      with little snow cover, earlier snowmelt runoff periods, and diminishing
      glacial ices are hydrologic observations that have been occurring in the
      Upper Midwest and West during the last two decades. These observations
      are not forecasts or predictions, and the public needs to understand that
      difference.

      Feedback loops are occurring that are accelerating global warming. For
      example, less snow cover allows more absorption of solar radiation,
      droughts mean less vegetation and reduced photosynthesis, and thawing of
      the permafrost adds methane gas to the atmosphere. More global warming
      means less snow cover, less vegetation, more methane, which in turn means
      more global warming, thus feedback loop reinforcements.

      Day to day weather forecasters, hydrologists, and climatologists need to
      become much more informed about global warming. Discussions on global
      warming need to be provided to the public on a daily basis through the
      media. Many people tune in to hear daily weather reports, weather
      forecasts, and explanations of weather and climate. They need to hear
      about global warming, frequently, in an intelligent and truthful manner.
      New observations and incites are becoming available on a daily basis.

      The meteorologists, hydrologists, climatologists and other professionals
      in media and government in the State of Minnesota are failing on this
      important issue of providing knowledge about global warming for the
      public.

      As a professional hydrologist, I was prevented from giving a display
      about global warming at the Mall of America in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
      By attempting to learn and provide information on global warming, I was
      given a five day suspension by my supervisor, without pay, and ordered to
      cease all efforts related to global warming at work. I was not allowed
      to participate in the February, 2000 Display of Government Services at
      the Mall, even as a private citizen. I am a U. S. citizen, working for
      the public, and getting paid by the public through the federal
      government. My responsibilities at work as a hydrologist demand that I
      stay informed about global warming, and pass that information on to the
      public in a truthful manner. The suspension given to me was unjust, in
      my view.

      Knowledge by the public on global warming is growing, thanks to the
      studies and reports by many concerned individuals and groups. People
      from the State of Wisconsin are taking global warming seriously, and
      starting to take action to reduce their input of greenhouse gas
      emissions.

      There is an innovative proposal to reduce travel and energy use,
      developed in Wisconsin, that would have far reaching positive impacts in
      reducing the contributions to greenhouse gas (ghg) emissions by the
      United States. The proposal would provide financial incentives for
      individuals to change their life styles in a way that would substantially
      reduce their ghg emissions. More information on the proposal, called
      'The Michael T. Neuman Proposal' can be found on:
      http://danenet.wicip.org/bcp/ Let's see to it that Mike's proposal is
      given a chance. How can we do that?

      Please reply with your comment and any additional information.

      Sincerely,
      Pat Neuman
      Hydrologist
      Chanhassen, MN
      npat1@...

      Pat Neuman,
      Hydrologist
      Chanhassen, MN
      npat1@...

      Get the power of Windows + Web with the new Windows Live. Power up!