After Global Warming: Map of the Sea 100 meters higher

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17 6:21 PM

      http://stevenwandrews.newsvine.com/_news/2007/06/15/783617-after-global-warming-map-of-the-sea-100-meters-higher

      Sea level rise is from thaw of ice on land (glaciers, ice sheets) and from thermal heat expansion of ocean water. Some people may not have seen these recent (2007) articles dealing with sea level:

      I've actually written a paper and submitted it called "Scientific Reticence and Sea Level Rise" [PDF], because it just seemed to me that there was a gap between what scientists really thought and what was in the public knowledge in regards to ice sheet stability and sea level rise.

      [James Hansen, May 2007 Grist interview, 15 May 2007]

      http://www.grist.org/news/maindish/2007/05/15/hansen/index.html?source=daily

      --

      Excerpt from Hansen's "Scientific Reticence and Sea Level Rise":

      The nonlinearity of the ice sheet problem makes it impossible to accurately predict sea level change on a specific date. However, as a physicist, I find it almost inconceivable that BAU climate
      change would not yield a sea level change measured in meters on the century time scale. The threat of
      large sea level change is a principal element in our argument (Hansen et al 2006a,b, 2007) that the global community must aim to keep additional global warming less than 1�C above 2000 temperature. In turn, this implies a CO2 limit of about 450 ppm, or less. Such scenarios are dramatically different than BAU, requiring almost immediate changes to get on a fundamentally different energy and greenhouse gas emissions path.

      Spring, 2007 http://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0703/0703220.pdf

      --

      Hundreds of Antarctic Peninsula Glaciers Accelerating as Climate Warms

      Hundreds of glaciers on the Antarctic Peninsula are flowing faster, further adding to sea level rise according to new research published this week in the Journal of Geophysical Research. Climate warming, that is already causing Antarctic Peninsula increased summer snow melt and ice shelf retreat, is the most likely cause.

      http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/MediaAlerts/2007/2007060525159.html

      http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Antarctic_Glaciers_Flowing_Faster_999.html

      --

      Related:

      Himalayan Glaciers Could Be Gone In 50 Years
      Kathmandu (AFP) Jun 04, 2007

      http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Himalayan_Glaciers_Could_Be_Gone_In_50_Years_999.html

      #3 - Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:04 AM EDT