Fw: [P&C] [Fwd: Supreme Court Hands Us a Big Victory]

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2007

      ---------- Forwarded Message ----------

      Yesterday, the U.S. Supreme Court finally set the Bush
      Administration straight on global warming.

      In a 5-4 vote, the Court agreed with NRDC and our partners that
      carbon dioxide and other global warming emissions are
      "pollutants" under the Clean Air Act.

      And in a stunning rebuke to the Bush Administration, the court
      ruled that the Environmental Protection Agency ALREADY has the
      authority to start curbing those pollutants, which are wreaking
      havoc with our climate.

      This landmark victory belongs to NRDC activists like you, who
      helped us launch this case four years ago and allowed us to play
      a leading role in a winning coalition of nearly 30 states,
      cities and environmental groups. We could not have prevailed
      without you!

      And I know you want to hear exactly what the Court's decision
      means to our fight against global warming.

      First, it obliterates the Bush Administration's leading excuse
      for doing nothing about global warming: namely, that it has no
      power to control carbon pollution. The Supreme Court has now
      ordered the EPA to stop relying on illegal excuses and to start
      getting serious about the problem of global warming pollution
      from new cars, SUVs and trucks.

      Second, it removes the major obstacle to measures in California
      and ten other states that would slash greenhouse gas emissions
      from car exhaust.

      Third, it adds immeasurably to the history-making momentum we've
      been building -- month by month, victory by victory -- for
      Congress to pass strong global warming legislation. Consider
      what's happened in just the last 90 days:

      * Ten of the most influential companies in the world joined with
      NRDC and other leading environmental groups to call on Congress
      for a mandatory approach to cutting global warming pollution.

      * NRDC helped spur a pioneering clean energy accord with TXU, a
      giant utility, which marks the beginning of the end of America's
      investment in dirty coal.

      * NRDC helped persuade Arizona, New Mexico, Washington and
      Oregon to commit to mandatory caps on global warming pollution,
      bringing the latest total to 15 states.

      * On April 14th, tens of thousands of Americans will mobilize
      for StepItUp rallies, creating a groundswell of support for
      global warming legislation.

      A nationwide chain reaction has been unleashed, and yesterday's
      Supreme Court ruling is going to focus new and intense heat on
      Congress, which is just gearing up for serious debate on global
      warming. The timing could not be better.

      If you haven't already, I urge you to join that chain reaction
      by making your own voice heard in Congress. Go to
      http://www.nrdcaction.org/gwtakeaction and send a message
      telling your Senators and Representative to pass a bill that
      cuts global warming pollution 25 percent by 2020 and 80 percent
      by 2050.

      It will take overwhelming public support to pass the kind of
      bold legislation that our planet so desperately needs. But if we
      can prevail over the Bush Administration in the Supreme Court,
      then anything is possible on Capitol Hill.

      Let's take the fight to Congress!

      Sincerely,

      Frances Beinecke
      President
      Natural Resources Defense Council

      . . .

      Sonya mail to: <msredsonya@...>
      PLoS Medicine http://www.plosmedicine.org
      The open-access general medical journal
      from the Public Library of Science
      Share your discoveries with the world.
      ______________________________________
      The information collected and presented has been done so on a best-effort
      basis, cited for research and educational purposes. This constitutes a
      'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107
      of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107,
      the material was posted without profit, or intent to profit, impinge, or
      for gain upon copyright, if applicable; to those who have expressed a
      prior interest in receiving the included information for research and/or
      educational purposes and in regard to fair use
      http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

      Furthermore, as the
      contents of the material may or may not be from a compilation of
      materials, or from various sources, and/or sites, and as such has not been
      verified by myself, unless I am the author of said material.
      Therefor I cannot be made responsible for the factual accuracy of the
      material presented -nor should it be construed as such-nor would I be
      responsible for any error or omissions in the said content or the
      veracity,  reliability, accuracy, or credibility of the said authors or
      the related Internet sites content.

      The burden of responsibility lies with the reader(s) to evaluate the
      content and relevancy of any said information; and any said
      related Internet sites.

      References in this e-mail to any specifics: i.e. products,
      processes,individuals, or services by trade name,trademark,manufacturer,
      or otherwise,would not and does not constitute or imply endorsement,
      recommendation,bias or favoring.