$25 Million Offered In Climate Challenge

  • Mike Neuman
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2007
      $25 Million Offered In Climate Challenge
      Tycoon Hopes to Spur Milestone Research

      By Kevin Sullivan
      Washington Post Foreign Service
      Saturday, February 10, 2007; Page A13

      LONDON, Feb. 9 -- British billionaire entrepreneur Richard Branson,
      with former vice president Al Gore at his side, offered a $25 million
      prize Friday to anyone who can come up with a way to blunt global
      climate change by removing at least a billion tons of carbon dioxide
      a year from the Earth's atmosphere.

      Branson, saying that the "survival of our species" is imperiled by
      current environmental trends, said the prize was similar to cash
      inducements that led to some of history's most notable achievements
      in navigation, exploration and industry. A competition launched in
      the 17th century, he said, resulted in the creation of a method to
      accurately estimate longitude.

      "I believe in our resourcefulness and in our capacity to invent
      solutions to the problems we have ourselves created," said Branson,
      who has pledged to invest $3 billion in profits from his
      transportation companies, including Virgin Atlantic Airlines and
      Virgin Trains, to fighting global warming.

      "We are now facing a planetary emergency," said Gore, whose
      documentary film, "An Inconvenient Truth," has helped him become one
      of the world's leading voices on climate change issues.

      The former vice president will serve as a judge in the contest, known
      as the Virgin Earth Challenge. He said he hoped the contest would
      spur scientific innovation without distracting from more practical
      steps people can take to battle global warming, from using energy-
      efficient light bulbs to pressuring politicians to confront "the
      crisis of our time."

      "It's a challenge to the moral imagination of humankind," Gore said
      at a packed news conference, which several noted climate scientists
      and authors attended. Others provided videotaped endorsements or
      appeared by live video link.

      Gore and Branson said that although scientists are working on
      technologies to capture carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases at
      power plants and other industrial sources, no one has developed a
      strategy to remove gases already released into the atmosphere. Those
      gases are contributing to a dramatic increase in global temperatures
      that could have catastrophic results in the coming decades, they said.

      The winner of the contest must devise a plan to remove greenhouse
      gases from the atmosphere without creating adverse effects. The first
      $5 million would be paid upfront, and the remainder of the money
      would be paid only after the program had worked successfully for 10

      "We're nowhere" on technologies to reduce the amount of carbon
      dioxide in the air, Gore said. But he said he hoped innovators might
      be spurred not simply by the cash prize but also by a passion for
      working on what he called "a moral issue."

      Other judges in the competition are James E. Hansen, director of
      NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies; British environmentalists
      and authors James Lovelock and Crispin Tickell; and Australian
      conservationist and author Tim Flannery.

      Gore, Branson and the other panelists referred repeatedly to a study
      released last week by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change,
      made up of hundreds of scientists from 113 countries, that concluded
      that human activity is warming the planet at a potentially disastrous
      and irreversible rate.

      Gore dismissed critics who say the potential effects of climate
      change have been exaggerated. He said the overwhelming scientific
      evidence is that "the planet has a fever." He likened the situation
      to parents told by a doctor that their child needs medical care;
      those parents shouldn't listen to "some science fiction expert who
      tells you it isn't real -- you listen to the doctor."

      Gore said he believed public interest in climate change was growing
      in the United States. But asked whether he thought Americans were
      ready for a presidential campaign in which global warming was the
      central issue, he said, "We're not there, yet."

      Branson and Gore said they hoped to ask the governments of the United
      States, Britain and other countries to add to the prize money, or
      even match the $25 million pledged by Branson. "I don't have much
      influence with this administration," Gore joked.

      Gore, who barely lost the 2000 presidential election to President
      Bush, has experienced a resurgence in popularity among many Democrats
      and is still viewed as a potential dark horse candidate in 2008. On
      Friday, he said he would not categorically rule out another run for
      public office, but he said he "can't foresee" any circumstances that
      would lead him to enter the race.

      "I'm involved in a different kind of campaign," Gore said.

      Details on the $25 million competition can be found at: