Critical that governments begin protection and abandonment efforts for large inhabited coastal regions

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2007

      Critical that governments begin protection and abandonment efforts for large inhabited coastal regions

      Seeded by npat on Mon Feb 5, 2007 2:29 PM  to Newsvine.com

      Source: Climate Science Watch

      Based on what scientists know to be happening in the Arctic and what scientists don't know about the timing for large increases in sea level ...

      It is critical that governments begin protection and abandonment efforts for large inhabited coastal regions

      Interview with Sharon Hays, Associate Director/Deputy Director for Science at the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, leading the United States delegation, and Rick Piltz, Director, Climate Science Watch.

      BBC: ... what you�ve agreed is effectively too conservative, it�s too low, that sea level is rising quicker than what is reflected in this report.

      Hays: Right. What happened with this report is that the model projections we know don�t fully take into account the melting of the ice that we are seeing. ... this ice is melting at a faster rate than we expected and is not accounted for in the models, ... And it states it in the report very clearly and makes it clear that the projections are a baseline, so to speak, that we expect the melting to be greater. ...

      BBC World News, February 2, 2007:

      Interview with BBC: Keeping the Administration honest on the IPCC report conclusions

      Climate Science Watch

      Published to:
      Groups: Earth News, Climate Change

      http://npat1.newsvine.com/_news/2007/02/05/553834-critical-that-governments-begin-protection-and-abandonment-efforts-for-large-inhabited-coastal-regions