AEI Think Tank Sought Critique of Climate Report

  • mtneuman@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2007
      AEI Think Tank Sought Critique of Climate Report

      US: February 5, 2007

      WASHINGTON - The American Enterprise Institute, which has received US$1.6
      million from ExxonMobil, offered scientists up to US$10,000 for a "policy
      critique" of the UN global warming report released Friday.

      The pro-business think tank, with numerous close ties to the Bush
      administration, denied it was looking for global warming skeptics to cast
      doubt on the UN report.
      AEI made the offers to scientists starting last July, but ultimately
      abandoned the project, according to Kenneth Green, a visiting scholar at
      the institute who worked on the program.

      First reported in the Guardian newspaper in Britain, the program aimed to
      publish scientists' essays to coincide with the release of the report by
      the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, or IPCC.

      The report found, with 90 percent probability, that humans caused
      accelerated global warming in the last half-century. It was released in
      Paris on Friday.

      In a July 5 letter to a climate scientist in Texas, Green and colleague
      Steven Hayward wrote: "As with any large-scale 'consensus' process, the
      IPCC is susceptible to self-selection bias in its personnel, resistant to
      reasonable criticism and dissent, and prone to summary conclusions that
      are poorly supported by the analytical work of the complete ... reports."

      The letter offered US$10,000 for an essay of 7,500 to 10,000 words, due
      Dec. 15, 2006, about six weeks before the UN report was expected. The
      letter also offered more "honoraria" and travel expenses if the scientist
      participated in a series of conferences on the same topic.

      The letter was obtained by the environmental group Greenpeace and made
      available to the media.

      Green said in a telephone interview he did not know how many scientists
      were contacted, but said the responses led the institute to revamp and
      then shelve the project.
      THE RIGHT FOCUS

      "The people we respected on the issue didn't think we had the right focus
      or the project wasn't structured right for them," he said.

      AEI has had close ties to the Bush administration. Lynne Cheney, the wife
      of Vice President Dick Cheney, has an office there, and President Bush in
      2003 praised the think tank for having "some of the finest minds in our
      nation," adding, "You do such good work that my administration has
      borrowed 20 such minds."

      It has received US$1.6 million from ExxonMobil between 1998 and 2005,
      according to the watchdog group Union of Concerned Scientists, as part of
      a campaign by the energy giant to raise doubt about climate change.
      ExxonMobil said it supported various public policy groups but that did
      not mean it had control over the groups' positions.

      Green said the think tank hoped the essays would stimulate debate and
      provide an alternative voice on global warming.

      "I view this discussion to have become hardened on a bipolar axis of
      alarmists and deniers, and I believe that is a bad dynamic in which to
      find good policy," Green said. "And so we were looking for voices who
      could illuminate a middle road, a third way ... so that we could move out
      of this bipolar dynamic and move on to something where you could find
      more reason for discourse."

      As to his own views on global warming, Green said he was "less compelled"
      by the UN report's findings.

      "They essentially asked the lead authors to rank their level of
      certainty," Green said. "... It is purely the opinion of the (UN
      reports') authors themselves as to how strongly they think they're
      right."

      Acknowledging that the report represents the work of 2,500 scientists
      from more than 130 nations, Green said, "That doesn't mean they're always
      right."

      Story by Deborah Zabarenko, Environment Correspondent
      http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/40174/story.htm