Fw: EARTH MEANDERS: Climate Change Denial

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2007
      Climate Change Denial
      "Wacky Weather" is Deadly Global Heating

      Earth Meanders by Dr. Glen Barry
      http://earthmeanders.blogspot.com/
      January 7, 2007

      As of 2007 the Earth System has already undergone profound
      global change of which global heating is the most immediately
      evident profound impact. It is getting hot, and it is happening
      fast. Many leading scientists tell us we have 10 years at most
      given current trends before climate change becomes irreversible
      and dangerous, beyond the generally accepted rise of 2 degrees
      Celsius considered adaptable (we are about 1/3 the way there).

      Yet the chortling television weather people tell us the
      unprecedented wave of global mild weather - really a lack of
      winter in many parts - is not climate change. We are encouraged
      to take advantage of our good fortune and get out there and play
      golf. At what point will abrupt climate change and deterioration
      of the Earth System's life giving biosphere be recognized as a
      global ecological emergency, and responded to as such? And will
      it then be too late to limit damages, or even to survive?

      Global warming is not a slow, gentle, pleasant rise in
      temperatures to be savored. It is an abrupt fundamental break
      down in the Earth System's climate sub-system that threatens the
      Earth's, humanity's and your family's ability to live. It is not
      enough to blame the weather on El Nino, which itself can be and
      is exacerbated by climate change. As climate change continues
      unabated by systematic policy responses, and "wacky weather"
      more prevalent, we can expect immediately budding trees to die
      from later frosts, agriculture to struggle to define growing
      seasons, pest insects to multiply, and ecosystems to deteriorate
      and die.

      The ability of individuals, communities and nations to deny the
      obvious is amazing. People do not like hearing that their
      consumptive, wasteful lifestyle is destroying God's creation.
      For most our addiction to lethargic comfort is so great, our
      ignorance of ecology and our total dependence upon a healthy
      biosphere so complete, and our psychological inability to grasp
      that humanity has overrun the biosphere becoming the dominant
      force in nature so absolute that we do nothing as the greatest
      avertable disaster to ever face civilizations looms -
      increasingly recognized but not nearly sufficiently addressed.

      Humanity is deeply within the Anthropocene era whereby our
      presence is the greatest force shaping the biosphere. We are
      witnessing the jarring collapse of the Earth's most recent
      climate equilibrium, and depending upon how much climate forcing
      occurs from continued emissions, there are no guarantees what
      the next climate will look like or even be regularized within a
      decent time period. And the longer term results will be
      calamitous - extreme weather including super storms, floods and
      droughts, massive crop failures, vegetation die-back over whole
      regions, a proliferation of tropical diseases, rising seas
      destroying cities, a massive refugee crisis and a general
      breakdown of anything resembling dependable climatic patterns.

      Don't believe me? Walk outside right now - see or feel anything
      different? Are the trees blooming in the middle of winter like
      in Washington D.C. and New York? Is there a lack of snow as in
      Minnesota and Europe, while other areas like Colorado get dumped
      upon? Are the rains failing as with Australia's "Big Dry"? So
      much of the global ecological system's processes and patterns
      which provide the life-giving context for human civilization
      have been lost and changed, and it continues to intensify.
      Essentially no natural processes are assured as a very different
      Planet emerges - climate patterns, water supplies, ocean
      fisheries, soil fertility, terrestrial ecosystem energy and
      nutrient cycling are all in doubt.

      Many rightly do what they can individually, but are discouraged
      by the fact that many necessary changes like widespread public
      transportation, caps on emissions, and universal adoption of a
      low carbon energy economy requires societal changes beyond an
      individual's immediate grasp. Goddamn it, snap out of it! I want
      to shake every climate denier and ambivalent Earth slayer,
      slapping them in the face to awake them from their slumberous
      death march. We are witnessing a human caused disintegration of
      ancient climatic cycles, with anthropogenic emissions forcing
      the global climate beyond what has always been a high level of
      variability.

      We must get past the ingrained illusion that humanity has not
      become a planetary ecological force. And that the changes we are
      witnessing in a single lifetime are good. As the ecologically
      ignorant chortle, pleased to be outside in winter in short
      sleeves, perhaps they should consider how global heating will
      impact their water, food and shelter requirements for life - to
      say nothing of the economy and their prospects for employment.

      How deeply and sadly we are in denial regarding the consequences
      of the abrupt climate changes we are witnessing. The life giving
      biosphere is in tatters and near collapse because of you and me
      and everyone. We are witnessing the logical conclusion of
      deforesting 80% of the world's natural ecosystems while working
      on the rest, breeding and increasing in numbers recklessly,
      using fossil fuel energy wastefully, and believing our
      lifestyles and consumption are independent of the Earth.

      Massively reducing emissions must become this next greatest
      generation's central call to duty. Dramatically and rapidly
      reducing greenhouse gas emissions must become the central
      organizing principle of governments, business and individuals.
      Contracting rich nations' carbon emissions, while allowing
      materially poor nations to converge with the rich's level of
      emissions, is the only way forward that is both equitable and
      likely to be successful. We need contests, and publicity for
      best practices, and technology sharing, and a rejection of coal,
      and emission caps, and global carbon trading, population
      control, huge renewable energy subsidies and so much more.

      Only massive public and political pressure - now - can save the
      Earth and all her species. The recent vote in the U.S. was a
      repudiation of oil industry governance. Now it is up to
      Democrats to stop pandering on gas prices and propose a
      progressive, workable carbon tax; ratify Kyoto and meaningfully
      rejoin international climate talks; launch an "Apollo project"
      supporting renewable energy, and generally for the U.S. to get
      on the ball and rejoin the league of civilized nations that are
      working on climate solutions.

      I exhort all that read this to break the denial that the current
      "wacky weather" is natural; it is more, much more; the start of
      systematic collapse of being as we know it. And I ask that you
      help other non-ecologically attuned people grasp what their way
      of life is doing to creation - risking ridicule as an acolyte of
      ecological truth. Take responsibility personally, and become
      involved in the great climate change/ecological sustainability
      movements that are set to rock this world - bringing forth the
      necessary societal changes. Time is short, but solutions exist.
      Save the climate, save the Earth, save yourself and your
      posterity. Get active, organize, agitate, protest and above all
      else reduce your carbon emissions!

      ---
      You are subscribed to ecological_internet as npat1@....

      Before unsubscribing, please consider modifying your list profile at:
      http://www.ecoearth.info/subscribe/welcome.asp?email=npat1@...

      To unsubscribe, send a blank email to leave-ecological_internet-
      59110A@...
      Or click here:
      http://ecoearth.info:81/u?id=59110A&n=T&c=F&l=ecological_internet

      To subscribe, send a blank email to join-
      ecological_internet@...
      Or visit here:
      http://www.ecoearth.info/subscribe/