'Indicators of Climate Change in the UK'

  • npat1@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2004
      The following is from the introduction to the 'Indicators of Climate
      Change
      in the UK' - a government report produced by the Department for
      Environment
      Food and Rural Affairs.

      "Global warming is no longer a theory. Since the 1970s, the world has
      warmed
      by about 0.15 �C per decade, and 1998 was the warmest year on record. In
      England, four of the five warmest years in the 340-year record occurred
      in
      the last decade. These are startling statistics. The clear message from
      the
      scientific community is that this warming is due, at least in part, to
      the
      increasing concentrations of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.
      The United Kingdom signed the Framework Convention on Climate Change at
      Rio
      in 1992, and, following the meeting of parties to the Convention in Kyoto
      in
      1997, has set itself the challenging target to reduce greenhouse gas
      emissions by 20% below 1990 levels by 2008-2012. However, even if all
      nations fulfill their Kyoto commitments, warming is likely to continue.
      We
      must, therefore, remain alert and be prepared for change. "

      http://www.nbu.ac.uk/iccuk/

      The then Minister for the Environment, Rt Hon Micheal Meacher MP, also
      wrote
      in the forward to this report:-

      "As greenhouse gas concentrations continue to rise we can expect more
      climatic changes. Evidence of a changing climate strengthens the already
      overwhelming case for reducing emissions of greenhouse gases. The UK has
      taken a leading role in negotiations to agree the Kyoto Protocol under
      which
      the European Union have a legally binding target to cut emissions by 8%
      against 1990 levels, of which we have a 12.5% share. We've also taken on
      domestic goal to cut carbon dioxide emissions by 20%. Although I cannot
      emphasise enough the need for action globally to tackle greenhouse gas
      emissions these indicators also suggest that we need to turn our
      attention
      to adapting to climate change."

      So, as you can see, the UK government believes GW is a real and serious
      threat, and that GHGs are the primary cause.

      The main institute for reseach into climate change is the Hadley Centre,
      part of the UK Met Office
      http://www.met-office.gov.uk/research/hadleycentre/index.html with
      further
      reseach being carried out by the Climatic Research Unit at the University
      of
      East Anglia http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/

      We, in the UK, are led (by our government and media) to beleive that a
      relatively small reduction in GHG emissions will solve all our problems.
      don't believe that to be the case at all. I believe that there are many
      other factors involved, and that in any case it is vitually impossible to
      reduce GHG emissions sufficently so as to eliminate their influence.
      Have
      you tried telling everyone to stop driving their car lately?

      I think we've poked a little hole in the dam and now think we can just
      bung
      it up again and all will be well. But all we do is argue over how big
      the
      bung should be and who will contribute the resources for it. And
      meanwhile
      we're ignoring all the other holes that occured naturally - some of which
      may close naturally in time, but others? who knows.....

      Cheers
      Andy

      UKWeatherWorld Executive
      http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk