NWS meteorologst "clearly quite full of himself" on climate change

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2006
      Comment by Dan � 2 Aug 2006 at realclimate.org

      After giving a public presentation not related to climate change, a
      local National Weather Serice (NWS) meteorologist in my home town was
      asked by a member of the audience about global warming. His first
      response was that he was not going to touch that question with a 10-
      foot pole. Where upon he proceeded to talk about climate change in
      great detail as a natural phenomenon. The audience was genuinely
      interested in learning about it (they were mostly senior citizens). I
      was quite disgusted about how they were completely mislead and mis-
      educated (if there is such a word!) by half-truths and gross
      misinterpretations of fundamental data. Of course the meteorologist
      proceeded to say that it was just his opinion! In other words, even
      though he would not touch the question officially, he would not
      hesitate to misinform the general public. And this was a public group
      with general scientific interest. I did not challenge the
      meteorologist as he was the guest and was clearly quite full of
      himself. Although I could not resist asking where he had received his
      meteorological degree.

      http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2006/07/introducing-rc-
      forum/