Drought, urban heat, low water, floods and climate change in Minnesota

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2006

      The National Weather Service (NWS) chief in the Twin Cities office in
      Chanhassen, MN said on the news today that we can blame Mother Nature
      for the drought in central and northern Minnesota.

      The Meteorologist in Charge said we were due for a drought based on a
      pattern of previous droughts in 1976 and 1988. He talked about the dry
      weather but said nothing about the early warm spring and climate
      change/global warming.

      A 110 year warm record for average mean air temperature for the month
      of July was exceeded at a climate station called Leech Lake Federal
      Dam in north central Minnesota.

      A plot showing July mean temperatures at Leech Lake Federal Dam from
      1891 to 2006 is in a box labeled "2006 July"
      at:
      http://madison.indymedia.org/newswire/display/43637/index.php

      Also, the link below for:

      1. UHI ... for Urban Heat Island discussion and

      2. Low Mississippi river flows concern officials at Minneapolis and St. Paul

      http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/patneuman2000/my_photos

      and, low river flows on the Mississippi River upstream of Minneapolis.

      Pat Neuman
      Chanhassen, MN